Menu

Latin Dilemma

I’m making final decisions for next school year and I’m trying to plan my course for Latin for my dd who will be 7th/8th grade. 

She has done Song School latin 1 and 2 and then Latin for Children A and B. 

I was thinking of switching to a Memoria Press because they are redoing LfC but it’s a level behind where she is working. So I’ll have to rebuy the new edition for my other kids. No thanks. 

I was thinking we would start in MP First Form just so we’re not overwhelmed by jumping into a new program. 

But it then I saw Latin Alive which looks interesting too. 

Would she be be able to use the first level of that program or would it be too much? 

I like the streamlined and straightforward look of MP  it just looks easy to use with less busy work than LfC. But I’ve heard many great things about Latin Alive. 

Which programs have you used and enjoyed? Help me sort through the best option for us. 

I can't speak to the MP materials, but my 12 yo dd is using Latin Alive after having done SSL, LfC A and B . It is going well, though we go a bit slower because we school year round. The videos are well done and the teaching is clear. We use Quizlet for vocab review and we do use the chapter tests (that you have to buy separately). The earlier books were a good foundation. 

hth

We did LfC A & B in 4th & 5th and then Wheelock's in 7th & 8th. Wonderfully smooth transition. No issues at all. (We had also done R&S 3-6 by the time we started Wheelock's. I'm not sure if having that solid grammar foundation also contributed to the seamless transition between LfC & Wheelock's.)

We had planned for my boys to do LfC C in 6th, but we dropped it after a couple of months. Having disliked LfC C with my oldest, we then planned for my daughter to go from LfC A&B to Latin Alive 1 (per CAP's recommendation). LA1 was unbearably tedious, and since we were doing it with an online class, we couldn't speed through the material she already knew. So, we dropped LA1 for her 6th grade year and she just went into Wheelock's with Lukeion in 7th.

Smart to look ahead and switch before having to reinvest in LfC.  I think it’s a good idea to go ahead to whichever high school level Latin you want to use. We’re doing Wheelocks with Lukeion. I think CAP does a nice just producing quality materials (we used SSL and W&R, but not LfC or LA).  Don’t they have a substantial preview of LA? I hear good things about MP Forms series, but it just isn’t congruent with ds’s Learning style. Best wishes choosing!  

As others have mentioned, CAP told me that if you do LFC A and B you can go into Latin Alive 1.  I am planning on doing that with my rising 7th.  My rising 6th I am planning to use LFC C with because I don't think he is ready for the pace of Latin Alive. I probably won't skip Latin Alive 1 for him either even though they suggest it.  We'll see.  I am having a hard time believing that will work well for him. The pacing of Latin Alive seems too fast for him to jump in one year into the program.  

I had no idea they are redoing LFC-C already. Are they redoing LFC-B also?  I just bought a "newer" version of the LFC-C videos (used) because our "old" (early 2000s) LFC-B videos were poor quality.

On 4/14/2018 at 7:53 PM, cintinative said:

As others have mentioned, CAP told me that if you do LFC A and B you can go into Latin Alive 1.  I am planning on doing that with my rising 7th.  My rising 6th I am planning to use LFC C with because I don't think he is ready for the pace of Latin Alive. I probably won't skip Latin Alive 1 for him either even though they suggest it.  We'll see.  I am having a hard time believing that will work well for him. The pacing of Latin Alive seems too fast for him to jump in one year into the program.  

I had no idea they are redoing LFC-C already. Are they redoing LFC-B also?  I just bought a "newer" version of the LFC-C videos (used) because our "old" (early 2000s) LFC-B videos were poor quality.

I was shopping at our recent homeschool convention and asked about LFC B.  They are redoing it and the updated one will be available in May.  I was told the videos will be updated with more "fun" content and side stories.  The activity books, readers, and clash cards should still work but the primer and answer book will need to be repurchased to go with the videos.  

• Thanks 1