Menu

What's with the ads?

IfIOnly

Anyone try turmeric for medicinal purposes?

I've recently began taking this, am having some success, and wondered about the Hive's experience with it. Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory, and I've been reading articles, research, and reviews for it, trying to gather how it's been helpful for others, dosing, side effects, and more. I've literally read thousands and thousands of online reviews recently. Just one product alone on Amazon has over 11,000 reviews on it, so there's a lot of reading to digest. There are a wide range of illnesses that stem from inflammation, so there are a wide variety of issues that turmeric has helped others with. It's a potent antiparisitic as well. 

For my particular issues, I'm going to give it at least a month to know if turmeric will help. I'm just taking what I could find at my health food store that has 95% curcuminoids (the active ingredient) and black pepper. The black pepper significantly increases the absorption rate. So does taking it with fat, so I'm taking my capsules with meals. I'm also taking an upper dose.

It's just been a few days but so far I'm experiencing significantly clearer and more even toned skin and decreased body odor. My depression has lifted quite a bit as well, and!! it hasn't affected my sleep causing insomnia. Yay! I have more energy. My muscle pain hasn't changed at all, but most of the reviews I've read said to give it at least a month for fibromyalgia pain. I'm also really hoping for better brain function, clearer thinking, memory, and recall. That is unchanged as of now though.

So not bad so far!

I haven't but I have a niece who did some kind of natural medicine training who added it liberally to food for its anti inflammatory properties.

• Like 1

Yes I make Ayurvedic golden milk several nights a week. Definitely add black pepper! 

I cant say it’s been life changing, but I enjoy golden milk and I figure it can’t hurt.

• Like 1

I tried it, but I have some sort of reaction to it -- it speeds me up, and if I use it 2 or 3 days in a row I start to get itchy. 

Good for you that it's working well, though!

• Like 1

My mom used it for joint and muscle pain for quite a while.  All I know is that she is no longer using it, so I assume that it didn't work or didn't work very well.

• Like 1

It's probably cheaper to use in cooking than to buy capsules.

Hmm. I wonder whether that's why I've developed some inflammation issues. I stopped eating turmeric.

• Like 1

My MIL bought me a bottle of turmeric capsules to help alleviate my joint and muscles pain (cause unknown). I've been taking it for over a month and haven't noticed a difference. I'll finish the bottle because I don't want to be wasteful but I don't think I'll buy another one.

It's good to hear that you are having positive experience with it.

• Like 1

I've taken a capsule a day for years, because I've read about several studies that show it could have an anticancer effect, especially with breast cancer (which runs in my family).  It's true that I could use it in cooking instead -- which I do sometimes, but I'm much better at popping a pill every day!  I've read that it's most effective taken with some kind of fat and heat.  So, I try and take it while I'm eating dinner.  

This is the brand I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YC70XY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AAC6484LE47H0&th=1

Of course I have no idea if it really works or not, but I feel good about taking it.

(P.S. My dd with a potential auto-immune disease was going to start taking it, and then she learned through allergy testing that she actually has a reaction to it.  So I guess some people do have a negative reaction!)

• Like 1

My young niece has juvenile arthritis and my SIL has been giving her high doses of the stuff (a special formulation) and has seen excellent results. Her doctors have been amazed, really.

• Like 3

OP, its great to hear that you have had positive experiences with turmeric supplementation!

I generally cook three meals a day at home from scratch and since most of my cooking is Indian, I liberally use turmeric powder in my dishes.

I have never tried turmeric capsules, though. It's true that black pepper and some fat (usually ghee for me) is recommended as per Ayurveda while consuming turmeric.

One could use fresh turmeric while cooking or in smoothies if it's available. But it does stain quite a bit! Fresh turmeric is usually available at Indian/Asian grocery stores. 

• Like 2

I have not taken it regularly enough to know if it works, but here's a tip, take it with LOTS of water.  The very first time I took a turmeric capsule, I guess I didn't wash it down very well, and then I had to burp, and clouds of yellow powder came out of my mouth.  I felt like a dragon!  It was kind of funny, although I didn't really enjoy it at the time.

• Haha 9

I take that brand.  For me, it has made a massive improvement.  I have fibromyalgia and it has helped so much.  The difference is day and night so much my DH noticed.  I take it daily and also after a good workout.  Take it with some fat as it helps it.  

• Like 1

I take capsules for arthritis. It seems to be helping, so I'm going to continue. It's hard to tell exactly that it's helping, but my fingers don't seem as swollen as usuall in the morning, and the arthritis pain seems to have decreased. 

Glad you're getting good results. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GailV said:

I tried it, but I have some sort of reaction to it -- it speeds me up, and if I use it 2 or 3 days in a row I start to get itchy. 

Good for you that it's working well, though!

I've read of others having an allergic reaction to the turmeric as well. Bummer. 

2 hours ago, Serenade said:

I have not taken it regularly enough to know if it works, but here's a tip, take it with LOTS of water.  The very first time I took a turmeric capsule, I guess I didn't wash it down very well, and then I had to burp, and clouds of yellow powder came out of my mouth.  I felt like a dragon!  It was kind of funny, although I didn't really enjoy it at the time.

Oh, my!  What a visual!  I'm dying!

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

My young niece has juvenile arthritis and my SIL has been giving her high doses of the stuff (a special formulation) and has seen excellent results. Her doctors have been amazed, really.

2 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I take that brand.  For me, it has made a massive improvement.  I have fibromyalgia and it has helped so much.  The difference is day and night so much my DH noticed.  I take it daily and also after a good workout.  Take it with some fat as it helps it.  

13 minutes ago, Tiberia said:

I take capsules for arthritis. It seems to be helping, so I'm going to continue. It's hard to tell exactly that it's helping, but my fingers don't seem as swollen as usuall in the morning, and the arthritis pain seems to have decreased. 

Glad you're getting good results. 

I'm so glad you're finding relief and found something that helps. <3 Thank you so much for sharing!

10 hours ago, EKS said:

My mom used it for joint and muscle pain for quite a while.  All I know is that she is no longer using it, so I assume that it didn't work or didn't work very well.

9 hours ago, The Accidental Coach said:

My MIL bought me a bottle of turmeric capsules to help alleviate my joint and muscles pain (cause unknown). I've been taking it for over a month and haven't noticed a difference. I'll finish the bottle because I don't want to be wasteful but I don't think I'll buy another one.

It's good to hear that you are having positive experience with it.

Thank you for sharing! Let me first say that I understand that turmeric does not help everyone or not as much as they'd hoped. With that said, I've read so many reviews from people encouraging those who didn't have success with one brand to try another. For some people, it took several tries to find a particular brand that worked for them.  Some people don't absorb the turmeric as well as other, and so they need to make sure they are taking a super bioavailable form of it.

Some important things I've read to consider regarding turmeric supplementation:

* Purchase capsules high in curcuminoids, which is the active ingredient. Fresh turmeric and the powder for cooking is fairly low in curcuminoids, about 2%. I've read that a supplement should have at least 95% curcuminoids. For example, the supplement I'm taking has 825 mg of turmeric extract standardized to contain 95% curcuminoids. The other 525 mg of turmeric in the supplement is just organic turmeric without curcuminoid standardization. Even with the mix, the supplement has more curcuminioids than most brands I've looked at.

* Turmeric needs black pepper for absorption. It increases the absorption up to 2000% percent. The capsules I'm taking have 9 mg of the black pepper extract Bioperine standardized to contain 95% piperine. Piperine is what's in black pepper that increases bioavailability. Table black pepper only contains 2-8% piperine.

* Taking turmeric with fat helps increase absorption as well. I take mine with meals, but I've read of others taking it with fish oil capsules or fatty foods like a spoonful of nut butter.

* Sometimes upping the dose helps. I've read many people say upping a capsule or two made all of the difference for them. I'm taking 3 grams or 3000 mg a day for now, which is about 2 capsule per meal for me. I've read to start with 1500 mg a day and go up or down from there. Research has been done up to 8 grams a day, and I believe 8000 mg is the upper limit.

• Like 1

I take turmeric and ginger to help with my migraines.  They both help (I've tested them individually and together.  Honestly ginger works best, but turmeric helps too.)  I haven't really noticed any other benefits from it, but I'll keep using it, because it works for what I wanted it!

I believe there are some contraindications that people should be aware of, though.  I've read that people who are on blood thinners, and people with gall or kidney stones should not take it.  

• Like 1

I take curcumin (tumeric) under the direction of my doctor. Tumeric naturally isn’t very bioavailable. What you eat or drink won’t help that much. The effective supplements contain a patented compound called C-95 which is highly concentrated. A number of companies sell supplements with the compound but the price varies widely. It averages about $35-40 in my local health food stores but is $20ish on amazon.

Ask your rheumatologist how much you should take if you have fibro. I am on high doses but am already having regular blood work to check on things. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greta said:

I take turmeric and ginger to help with my migraines.  They both help (I've tested them individually and together.  Honestly ginger works best, but turmeric helps too.)  I haven't really noticed any other benefits from it, but I'll keep using it, because it works for what I wanted it!

I believe there are some contraindications that people should be aware of, though.  I've read that people who are on blood thinners, and people with gall or kidney stones should not take it.  

I think diabetics need to be careful as well to monitor blood sugars while supplementing. I've read reviews that turmeric has helped people lower  or no longer need their insulin meds.  On the flip side, those with low blood sugar/hypoglycemia need to be careful as well.

• Like 1

Here are some dosing guidelines if anyone's interested: https://www.livestrong.com/article/104916-recommended-dosages-turmeric/

Standardized Powder

Some supplement manufacturers offer turmeric products that contain a guaranteed concentration of curcumin, the principle medicinal component of the herb. The University of Maryland Medical Center recommends 1,200 to 1,800 milligrams of standardized powder daily.

2 hours ago, Greta said:

Greta--if you are responding to ginger, you might also try bromelain (pineapple) and feverfew. Just a heads up from my personal adventures in herbalism.

• Like 2

My naturopath prescribes a specific Curcumin combination (called CuraPro) on a rotational basis. I have no big signs of inflammation so it's hard to know but I figure prophylactic measures cannot hurt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IfIOnly said:

I think diabetics need to be careful as well to monitor blood sugars while supplementing. I've read reviews that turmeric has helped people lower  or no longer need their insulin meds.  On the flip side, those with low blood sugar/hypoglycemia need to be careful as well.

Oh, interesting, I didn't know that.

40 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Greta--if you are responding to ginger, you might also try bromelain (pineapple) and feverfew. Just a heads up from my personal adventures in herbalism.

Thanks!  Feverfew didn't seem to help me, unfortunately, but I did not know about bromelain!

• Like 1

Oops, I forgot something else that's improved.  Warning, TMI ahead.

I have IBS and caffeine especially sends me running to the bathroom. I get pain and cramping followed by loose stool not long after drinking the caffeine whether it's soda, coffee, or tea. Large amounts of chocolate mess with me too. Since starting the turmeric, I may have a cramp or two after the caffeine but do not need to use the restroom anymore. So, that's great.  Maybe it'll get even better over time.

My uncle has had good results, as well as a few friends of his. I went to the health food store to buy some, and when I got home realized there was no way I could swallow the darn capsules. They are huge!! I have melted capsules into a cup of bone broth, but not consistently enough to say I feel a difference. I'm too irritated to find myself a smaller capsule at the moment. I still have 25 of these to go and they were expensive, so I'm going to finish them if it kills me, lol. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, dsmith said:

My uncle has had good results, as well as a few friends of his. I went to the health food store to buy some, and when I got home realized there was no way I could swallow the darn capsules. They are huge!! I have melted capsules into a cup of bone broth, but not consistently enough to say I feel a difference. I'm too irritated to find myself a smaller capsule at the moment. I still have 25 of these to go and they were expensive, so I'm going to finish them if it kills me, lol. 

Is it a gelcap? Can you break them open and dissolve them in a little juice? Mine were large gelcaps but liquid. They slid right down...:)

• Like 1

I make my own capsules of a mixture of cinnamon, ginger, and turmeric and take them whenever I would otherwise take something like Advil. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Liz CA said:

Is it a gelcap? Can you break them open and dissolve them in a little juice? Mine were large gelcaps but liquid. They slid right down...:)

It is a gelcap. I was told it was better to dissolve the whole gelcap in something warm rather than breaking them open because the turmeric is mixed with oil and forms a paste which stains everything. The gelcaps dissolve nicely, but the paste inside kind of forms globs in the broth I've been using. It's not a perfect solution, but at least I'm getting some of it in my body, lol. Next time I may just buy a liquid supplement. I do this a lot - I buy a supplement forgetting that I can't swallow anything over a certain size. One would think I'd have learned my lesson by now!

16 hours ago, IfIOnly said:

Oops, I forgot something else that's improved.  Warning, TMI ahead.

I have IBS and caffeine especially sends me running to the bathroom. I get pain and cramping followed by loose stool not long after drinking the caffeine whether it's soda, coffee, or tea. Large amounts of chocolate mess with me too. Since starting the turmeric, I may have a cramp or two after the caffeine but do not need to use the restroom anymore. So, that's great.  Maybe it'll get even better over time.

I'm glad you posted this, because my mom has IBS.  I'm going to let her know that it helped you.

10 hours ago, dsmith said:

I HATE how humongous they make some capsules and tablets!  I choose liquids or powders when possible, because I have a very hard time swallowing big pills.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dsmith said:

It is a gelcap. I was told it was better to dissolve the whole gelcap in something warm rather than breaking them open because the turmeric is mixed with oil and forms a paste which stains everything. The gelcaps dissolve nicely, but the paste inside kind of forms globs in the broth I've been using. It's not a perfect solution, but at least I'm getting some of it in my body, lol. Next time I may just buy a liquid supplement. I do this a lot - I buy a supplement forgetting that I can't swallow anything over a certain size. One would think I'd have learned my lesson by now!

The Oregon Harvest linked in the OP is a size 0 cap. Not sure if that size is too big for you? I've seen huge, horse capsules, and these seem somewhere in the middle of the range. I haven't tried any other good, absorpable brands to know if they come even smaller!

34 minutes ago, Denisemomof4again said:

I take golden paste regularly and give it to several of my pets.  It's like popping Advil- it takes all my pain away.  It also reduces my swelling.  I LOVE it

Thank you! I'm considering giving turmeric to my beagle. She has a fatty tumor (vet says it's no big deal and we keep an eye on it for any chsnges) as well as a spine issue that we need to give pain meds and a muscle relaxant for when it acts up a few times a year. Both are things I've read other pet owners have had success with turmeric for. 

3 hours ago, IfIOnly said:

Thank you! I'm considering giving turmeric to my beagle. She has a fatty tumor (vet says it's no big deal and we keep an eye on it for any chsnges) as well as a spine issue that we need to give pain meds and a muscle relaxant for when it acts up a few times a year. Both are things I've read other pet owners have had success with turmeric for. 

Do you have a FB account?  There is a Turmeric Users group there.  They can help you decidr if turmeric can be used with the meds your pet is on.

I have a mastiff mix which suffered a devastating spinal injury 3 years ago.  It left her paralyzed and unable to urinate.  I had to express her bladder.  It was SO scary.  After acupuncture and Chinese herbs, she regained her ability to walk again.  The treatment worked for 3 years, then she slowly lost the use of her weakest leg a couple of months ago. We put her in a wheelchair and started the golden paste.  She isn't panting anymore and the muscle spasms she was having have stopped.  Also, I  recently spoke with a woman who works with paralyzed dogs,  and she recommended Nzymes.  They're sprouted soybeans.  I'm skeptical, but I'm going to try them on her and my dogs with skin issues.  It can't hurt.

I also give turmeric to a very old potbelly and a huge farm hog.  It definitely makes a difference!

• Thanks 1

I use the Jarrow brand.  The capsule size is probably a size 0 gelcap as well. You can empty it and dump it into applesauce or pudding, but tumeric stains, so don't wear your favorite white blouse to do it, iykwim.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2018 at 7:26 AM, itsheresomewhere said:

May I ask how much you take daily? After a workout? 

I cut mine from 6 to 3 (1350 mg) today and think that's a better fit. I feel so peaceful and happy y'all!  So thankful.

Edited: I found a seller on Amazon selling it quite a bit cheaper than everyone else. $30 for a 80 day supply. That's a great price.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0170HLZEA/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1523672434&sr=8-3&keywords=oregon+harvest+turmeric

OK, I take Turmeric capsules (from Vitacost) and love the anti-inflammatory effects, particularly for my knees.  The capsules are kind of big so you need to drink a lot of water...at least I do, because they can feel sort of stuck for me.  Well, today I *burped* about 10 minutes after taking mine and my mouth was CONSUMED with pepper taste and I almost choked!  It was SO nasty!  LOL  I thought of this thread and started laughing.  ANYWAY...I don't like the taste of turmeric at all so that's why I take the caps. Eating it daily is just out of the question so capsules it is!  I just need to drink and be sure they get DOWN.  :D

This is the one I take, btw. (Vitacost changed the look of their bottles) https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-root2-turmeric-extract-curcumin-c3-complex-with-bioperine

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, IfIOnly said:

May I ask how much you take daily? After a workout? 

I cut mine from 6 to 3 (1350 mg) today and think that's a better fit. I feel so peaceful and happy y'all!  So thankful.

Edited: I found a seller on Amazon selling it quite a bit cheaper than everyone else. $30 for a 80 day supply. That's a great price.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0170HLZEA/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1523672434&sr=8-3&keywords=oregon+harvest+turmeric

On a good day- 3 a day spaced out with 2 in the morning and 2 at dinner

On a workout or flare up day-  2 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon, and 2 in the evening.  

This brand seems to go on sale on amazon often.  

• Thanks 1

Forgot... I was looking into having my dd take it for her migraines and after doing some research it seems like taking it with some fat is best for absorption (along with the black pepper).  Anyone notice migraines going away with turmeric use?

http://naturalsociety.com/turmeric-absorption-super-benefits-black-pepper/

https://purathrive.com/turmeric-omega-3s-help-treat-headaches-migraines/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 6packofun said:

Forgot... I was looking into having my dd take it for her migraines and after doing some research it seems like taking it with some fat is best for absorption (along with the black pepper).  Anyone notice migraines going away with turmeric use?

Going away completely and never have another- no 

But I did have a massive reduction in migraines.  And if I take more when one is starting, I can make it go away or not as strong.  Does your DD take b-2 or a b complex? That also helps with migraines.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

On a good day- 3 a day spaced out with 2 in the morning and 2 at dinner

On a workout or flare up day-  2 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon, and 2 in the evening.  

This brand seems to go on sale on amazon often.  

Thank you so much! It helps to know what works for others taking turmeric. And thank you for the heads up for sales. I'll be checking for them!

Just now, IfIOnly said:

Thank you so much! It helps to know what works others taking turmeric. And thank you for the heads up for sales. I'll be checking for them!

You are welcome.  I hope you figure out what dose works best for you easily. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 6packofun said:

OK, I take Turmeric capsules (from Vitacost) and love the anti-inflammatory effects, particularly for my knees.  The capsules are kind of big so you need to drink a lot of water...at least I do, because they can feel sort of stuck for me.  Well, today I *burped* about 10 minutes after taking mine and my mouth was CONSUMED with pepper taste and I almost choked!  It was SO nasty!  LOL  I thought of this thread and started laughing.  ANYWAY...I don't like the taste of turmeric at all so that's why I take the caps. Eating it daily is just out of the question so capsules it is!  I just need to drink and be sure they get DOWN.  :D

This is the one I take, btw. (Vitacost changed the look of their bottles) https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-root2-turmeric-extract-curcumin-c3-complex-with-bioperine

Oh, no! The burping it up sounds so bad! Thank you for posting. That looks like a great brand and has the C3 complex and bioperine.

28 minutes ago, 6packofun said:

I will let you know how it works for me. I have headaches more often than not interspersed with migraines. I think *maybe* I've been a bit more headache free today, but if so it's a slight change. Really too early to tell for me. Thanks for the links!

25 minutes ago, IfIOnly said:

Oh, no! The burping it up sounds so bad! Thank you for posting. That looks like a great brand and has the C3 complex and bioperine.

Just so you know, that has NEVER happened to me before!  lol

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Denisemomof4again said:

When I was taking capsules and burped, a Turmeric cloud came out of my mouth!  I kid you not!!!  

Oh my gosh, I thought this happened but then convinced myself it couldn't possibly be.  LOL!!

• Haha 1