Menu

neuropsychological assessment

My 8-year-old was referred for a neuropsychological assessment last year, and we (and his doctors) found the results extremely valuable. I also read neuropsych/psych reports regularly in my work and find them useful. 

Whether a neuropsych assessment is more helpful than another psychological assessment will depend on the child, the questions you are hoping to have answered, and the other types of psychological assessment available in your area. If your child's needs are complex or there are any neurological concerns (a history of seizures, brain injury, FASD, trauma, etc.), a neuropsych evaluation is likely most appropriate. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ottakee said:

Yes. Ours considered IQ, LDs, ADHD, mental health concerns, learning styles, any signs of brain injury/seizures, etc.  I found it very helpful...... esp if you get a good one to evaluate the kids.

This. 

We were certain we were seeing Ewing more than just LD. The school system had given us an eval that said low IQ and we were pretty certain they were wrong. 

It was was horribly expensive and worth every penny. 

• Thanks 1

We have only dealt with neuropsych assessments so I can't compare with other types.

My kid has had two.  The first at 8 years old.  He was so relieved to hear the results.  "I thought I was just stupid."

The second was at 17. There were some differences but this also affirmed that he is not stupid but has some real issues. It has also gotten him some accommodations in community college which have helped him not to get bogged down in areas that he struggles with.  

• Thanks 1

Adding in our vote--very helpful. Had one done on oldest--this was 23 years ago. They did it over 2 days. Told us a LOT.

Ended up not being as predictive as we thought--he went on to graduate college, and they said he'd probably always need a special classroom. While it couldn't give a name to everything (he's a bit of a puzzle), it was very good to know the information. 

• Thanks 1

I'll be the dissenting voice. The neuropsych we saw did not attend or engage our son. There were marked differences between parent reports and other testing and the "results" she found. I would vet your neuropsych thoroughly. My nephew had one and his results made much more sense, were thorough, and gave lots of advice. 

• Thanks 1

Dd saw a neuropsych in Melb. She was very thorough, but didn't like to use labels, so unless you knew what the labels were supposed to be, you'd miss some useful info. Eg. Two really high scores and two really low scores means 2E, thanks very much that would have been helpful because the people in charge of her now don't know this about her. Neuropsychs also don't give much in the way of recommendations, pretty much nothing you couldn't think of for yourself because they only diagnose, they don't tutor. Ed psychs do more of that, but are limited by their own educations, because they are all trained to use the normal school techniques. They are, at least, qualified to say "That makes sense" when you say you're going to do something different.

• Thanks 1