Menu

Transcript ?: Summer College Class ** Updated w/question

New question! So, I've got this (now finished) summer DE class on DD#1's transcript under senior year. It has a grade. Do I update her cumulative GPA to include this? I have a grade level GPA at the bottom of each grade level. It is blank right now, but do I update it to show her senior year GPA from this one completed class?

----------

An opportunity just came up for DD#1 to take an interesting-to-her (dystopian literature) summer English class at the local college. She was originally going to take one class second semester senior year to cover her senior year of English. However, if she takes the summer class, she won't take the second semester one since this will cover that credit.

So, for her transcript, where do I put the summer class?
1- Make a special "summer" section?
2- Lump it onto the end of the junior year section?
3- Put it on the senior year section & somehow mark that she took it during the summer session right before senior year?

[For the record, she already has more than 4 English credits without this class, but I wanted her transcript to show a full credit of English each year.]

Edited by RootAnn
new question

I actually found a transcript to duplicate that grouped classes by subject areas rather than "grade" level.  I thought it better showed off depth and we avoided the tricky spots of what you are saying - when a class didn't fall neatly into a year.  Another reason was the DD did maths later than the norm and we didn't feel that was relevant but would have been something to grab attention on a "year by year" grouping.  I honestly have no clue why homeschoolers group as the public schools do.  It seems to me it doesn't showcase our strengths and causes awkwardness like this.  I apologize if that's not helpful.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's your homeschool, you can do whatever you want.

I would list it for senior year. You will somehow indicate that it is a college course. It is not relevant whether it has been taken during summer session or during the regular fall semester.

It makes more sense to group summer courses with the school year following that summer than it makes grouping them with the preceding year, because there won't be any summer after senior year for a student graduating with a normal May/June graduation date. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, EKS said:

In my state it actually states somewhere in the education regulations (not homeschool specific) that 9th grade begins the day after 8th grade ends.  So I tack the summer after 8th grade onto 9th grade, etc.

That is how we do it, too.

• Like 1

Kelly - I already have her transcript in-progress through Junior (this) year and don't want to redo everything to make it by-subject area. Great thought, just not something I want to even contemplate now.

Looks like everyone else agrees to add it to her senior year section. That was what I hoped y'all would say. I just wasn't sure about that since that class would already have a grade on it while the others would be "IP" (in progress) or "PL" (planned). I'll just add a super-script or note somewhere indicating when it was taken. I already have a way of indicating which classes are taken at the local college.

Thanks, all!

New question! So, I've got this (now finished) summer DE class on DD#1's transcript under senior year. It has a grade. Do I update her cumulative GPA to include this? I have a grade level GPA at the bottom of each grade level. It is blank right now, but do I update it to show her senior year GPA from this one completed class?

[I'm trying to paste in the section of the transcript I'm speaking of, but I can't right now. :wacko: Manage Attachments is not working well at all!]

Is she a rising senior and this is the only class she has completed for senior year? In that case, I would not update the GPA, but wait until at least one semester of senior year has been completed. If you feel it is important to clarify, you can state "Cumulative GPA as of date"

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

[I'm trying to paste in the section of the transcript I'm speaking of, but I can't right now. :wacko: Manage Attachments is not working well at all!]

One of my kids did a summer college class. I had a subject arranged transcript with grade and year completed columns in addition to course year.

At the beginning of senior year he had the grade in the summer class.  Other senior year classes were either IP for in progress or PL for planned.

I did recalculate the GPA. I also had a line under the GPA box that said something like 26 credits complete 32 credits scheduled at graduation.  I took that line off the final transcript.

My course description package also included the summer course  (as well as all the in progress courses).

This kid had tons of acceptances.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

One of my kids did a summer college class. I had a subject arranged transcript with grade and year completed columns in addition to course year.

At the beginning of senior year he had the grade in the summer class.  Other senior year classes were either IP for in progress or PL for planned.

I did recalculate the GPA. I also had a line under the GPA box that said something like 26 credits complete 32 credits scheduled at graduation.  I took that line off the final transcript.

My course description package also included the summer course  (as well as all the in progress courses).

This kid had tons of acceptances.

I have a transcript arranged by year and I do the same thing as far as including the summer class on the transcript, GPA, and course descriptions, and then listing the other senior classes as planned or IP.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, regentrude said:

Is she a rising senior and this is the only class she has completed for senior year? In that case, I would not update the GPA, but wait until at least one semester of senior year has been completed. If you feel it is important to clarify, you can state "Cumulative GPA as of date"

She is a rising senior & most (all, hopefully) of her apps will be submitted before she will have any grades (other than this one) for senior year. 

3 hours ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

Ok. I think I've got a plan. I'll include the recalculated GPA in my top (summary) box with a note that it includes the summer '18 DE class, but I won't update the little section at the bottom of the senior year section. I'll leave that area blank.

I have course descriptions done for her senior year classes (except for one class that is outsourced where the teacher hasn't finished the syllabus yet & the description on the provider webpage is silly). Right now, all the classes for senior year except for the summer one will be IP by the time the transcript gets uploaded.

Now, all I have left is the counselor letter. :ohmy: I've been making notes for a month, but it is time to sit down & actually write it. Thanks, all!

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1