Menu

April 11 to 14 -- Reading in the era of the WTM boardpocalypse

Stacia

Boardpocalypse gave me...  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What did the boardpocalypse give you time to do?

• Eat cupcakes
    • Look at kilt photos
    • Read
    • Declutter, organize papers, garden, or other house-productivity
    • Lounge around
    • Wander the far reaches of the internet while waiting for the boards to return
    • Exercise
    • Travel
    • Try something new & exciting (please elaborate)
    • Use my crock pot
    • Work
    • Ponder space travel or quantum physics
    • Run for political office
    • Herd cats (or dogs, or goats, or chickens, or ...)
    • Drag race
    • Cry
    • Dance
    • Knit or other crafty activities
    • Climb Mt. Everest
    • Binge-watch my favorite tv series

3 hours ago, Stacia said:

Finished Trevor Noah's Born a Crime for my book club. Really liked this book. He has some pointed & intelligent commentary & observations about race, economy, politics, families, & friends in this recounting of parts of his childhood & teen years.

Quite a few reviews on GR mention how hilarious it is, but though I found it amusing in parts, I didn't find it hilarious. (Maybe some of the topics were too serious even if told in a lighthearted manner?) Perhaps that would have been different had I listened to it instead of reading it? (Which is the same way I feel about David Sedaris.)

28 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Yes, you should go back right now and listen to it. :)  His audio is so, so, so good.  And his delivery of the lines is, indeed, hilarious in many parts.  And how do you even get through the parts with the Africa click languages without the audio??  Yes, he can make even the parts in Xhosa funny... 

Absolutely yes. I probably would have liked it if I read it in print, but I really think audio is the best way to go for this book.

• Like 6

The board break time was momentous. We had a big spring break vacation to Maui and it was absolutely wonderful--just what we all needed. We got back late Friday night March 30, and the few remaining colleges that dd applied to that we hadn't heard from had replies waiting for us. Dd got into her first choice school in another state. And it just hit me that my baby will be leaving home and will be far away from me--before this acceptance she had been leaning toward a couple of nearby schools. I didn't mark the poll that I cried over the board break, but now I remember I did. And sleep has been messed up too. And after Hawaii healed me from the 6-week upper respiratory virus, I'm coming down with another cold.

Things are busy here. Dance recitals, track meets, soccer games, way too much cold rain (we miss Hawaii), anxiety about needing a real job to help pay college costs. I was caught up on Middlemarch after the Hawaii trip but then got hit with a lot of library books from my hold list that came available. And not much reading time. I finished Packing for Mars and Leigh Bardugo's Shadow and Bone (first of a trilogy from our Julabokaflot that both dds have now read) over break. I'm in book 4 of Middlemarch. I'm also currently reading Anne Bishop's Lake Silence and The Economists' Diet which maybe someone here recommended. I just picked up C.S. Harris' latest Sebastian St. Cyr mystery from the library today.

• Like 10