Menu

Who Diagnoses Dyslexia

I'm trying to figure out who actually diagnoses Dyslexia and writes out what accommodations a student needs for the college level.  I reached out to the Susan Barton website and they sent a list of "testers" for my area (Virginia) and I sent an email to the provider in my area but she responded that she doesn't test for dyslexia - just screens for it and then provides tutoring/remedial services.  That doesn't work.  I'm familiar with what the local CC needs paperwork-wise for accommodations because of my oldest ds and his hearing disabilities but now I need to get the proper documentation in place for my severely dyslexic ds to transition to the CC level.  We've never officially tested because of cost - insurance didn't pay for hearing aids for other ds so guessing they aren't going to pay for this either.  Trying to find the best and cost-efficient way to get this done because once it is in place the paperwork transfers to the University-level.  I'm at a loss as to where to start.  My peds office is not an option.  Would a local university be an option?

Yes a psychologist, a psych who specializes in dyslexia. Learning Ally has a list, though they are people self-listing. Skip the tutors and look at the psychs obviously. Yes, the Barton list will be people she has trained. She does a brief training and they buy the CTOPP. It's not really a diagnosis and the college probably won't consider it enough to qualify for accommodations. Yes, a university might have a department, but that will be students who are just as likely to botch it. Honestly, EVERY SINGLE STORY we've had on the boards here of someone who has used a university has been disaster in some fashion. Please, someone come on and say well. I'm just saying, hanging here a lot, all the stories have been bad. And I'm not anti-university for other things. Just the psych, it doesn't seem to go well. And you have way too much on the line to be screwing around.

I would call dyslexia schools in your state and try the Learning Ally list. See who is on the advisory board for your state dyslexia schools and orgs, because there will be some psychs. 

You are looking for a school/educational psychologist or a neuropsychologist. A school psychologist is able to assess for and diagnose learning disabilities, provide documentation of the disability, and give recommendations for accommodations. Neuropsychological assessments are typically more expensive, but are able to provide more information about things like memory, attention, executive functioning, etc.

It is likely worth your while to contact your local university to see whether they have a graduate student training clinic for their school psychology students. These are typically much cheaper, but are still able to provide a diagnosis, appropriate documentation, etc. 

Thanks for the suggestions.  I was searching for providers in my area and thought I found one - and they were also listed on Learning Ally - called and left message but no response.  A couple days later I did a search on this practice and sadly, they don't return calls and take forever to give results, etc.  They are apparently wonderful with the kids but the rest, well, not so great.  Back to the drawing board....

Most providers are going to be like that. Unless it's a big clinic, you've got the therapist or tutor or whatever answering their phones and billing and tutoring/providing services and... So personally I wouldn't assume it's a deal breaker. Keep trying people. Big clinics are easier to work with because they'll have a receptionist etc. However they add layers to the cost and will make it more $$.

We have a place within driving distance called FixLexia that specializes in dyslexia issues, and they have on staff several speech & language pathologists, psychologists, as well as a neuropsychologist (more for consultations / on the side  than staff, technically). Have you looked around for something like this? We found that, outside of this place, the psychs and neuropsychs didn't want to do it because they said insurance wouldn't cover it (nevermind that we asked for cash prices to cover it ourselves...) and schools didn't want to do it because they said it should be covered by insurance... So we got a really big run around for months. :P