Menu

My daughter just drove off alone

mytwomonkeys

Y’all I could seriously have a heart attack. My daughter will be 17 in October, but she just got her drivers license yesterday. She just left to go to the bank. Alone. I didn’t realize until now how scary it is for our kids to grow up and spread their wings. I’m excited for her, but wow... I need a glass of wine and I don’t even drink.

• Like 13

My dh was the one who taught the kids to drive.  One memorable day he returned home after driving with our dd & said, "I am going to have to start drinking."  Dd #3 turned 15 in December and he is starting to freak out about teaching her to drive.

Also Dd #1 drove herself to a babysitting job hours after getting her license.  She managed to turn into oncoming traffic and drive the wrong way down the street because she couldn't figure out how to get out of the situation.  She was pulled over by a police officer who helped her calm down and get where she was going without giving her a ticket.  There was nowhere to go but up from there :)

Your dd will be Ok.  It is so difficult.

Amber in Sj

• Like 5

It's scary at first and will take you a few weeks to get used to it. Ds was 17 when he got his driver's license. He was so anxious to get his learner's permit so we went to the DMV the day after his birthday, which fell on a holiday. He dragged his feet about taking his test until I finally scheduled it for him and told him to go take it. 

The first day he drove off on his own I was a wreck. Yes, I insisted he get his license so he could drive on his own and when he actually drove on his own I was so worried lol. I had to continually remind myself that the reason I wanted him to get his license (besides so I wouldn't have to drive him everywhere) is that I knew he was ready.

One good thing is that when ds first drove on his own I had him text me every time he arrived at his destination, and again when he was leaving for home. I love that he still does that even though I stopped requiring it years ago. 

Breathe mama. Many of us have been there and we understand your worries. She'll be okay. You'll be okay. Just give it time. <3

• Like 5

I was always of two minds when they got licensed - “Yay! Driving help!” And, “oh sh!t! They are out there, behind the wheel, alone!!!” Then it was hard to watch them drive in bad weather, or late at night, or in the city, or to another state...

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Quill said:

I was always of two minds when they got licensed - “Yay! Driving help!” And, “oh sh!t! They are out there, behind the wheel, alone!!!” Then it was hard to watch them drive in bad weather, or late at night, or in the city, or to another state...

Yes. All of this.

• Like 2

Thank you all! She’s home and safe! She called me from the bank to tell me she had made it, so we talked the entire way home, lol. Don’t worry... she has the hands free blue tooth thing in her car. She is going out Friday for dinner with a friend & Saturday to the movies. I’m sure I’ll be panicking then as well, especially since Saturday she’ll use the highway!  I’m so glad to hear it gets easier!!!! I had no idea I was going to feel so stressed out!

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

It's scary at first and will take you a few weeks to get used to it. Ds was 17 when he got his driver's license. He was so anxious to get his learner's permit so we went to the DMV the day after his birthday, which fell on a holiday. When it came to getting his full license though he dragged his feet about taking his test until I finally scheduled it for him and told him to go take it. 

The first day he drove off on his own I was a wreck. Yes, I insisted he get his license so he could drive on his own and when he actually drove on his own I was so worried lol. I had to continually remind myself that the reason I wanted him to get his license (besides so I wouldn't have to drive him everywhere) is that I knew he was ready.

One good thing is that when ds first drove on his own I had him text me every time he arrived at his destination, and again when he was leaving for home. I love that he still does that even though I stopped requiring it years ago. 

Breathe mama. Many of us have been there and we understand your worries. She'll be okay. You'll be okay. Just give it time. <3

I am right there with you. When my grown boys fot their license it was a serious daily heart attack. The first time they drove in snow and their first out of state road trip put me in a panic state. They have been driving for 7 years and no accidents or tickets yet so as time has rolled on it stopped worrying me and now I rarely think about it. It is both exciting and terrifying though all rolled into one. I am not looking forward to going through that again with my next 3! 

It took a few months before I would let mine drive on the highway with his sibling. He didn't take it personally--when his friends began driving, I'd made sure he didn't need to be in their cars on the highway until they were more experienced. The same thing with driving at night. My son has had his license for 6-8 months and has had several accidents happen RIGHT in front of him. (Pickup truck in front of him hit a deer at 65 mph; two cars bumped in a double left turn; a car hit the concrete median in the highway, and I can't even remember the last one.) I'm kind of thankful for that, as I've told him it will always stick in his mind to leave a bit more space between cars. Seeing it is worth way more than I could ever tell him.

12 hours ago, Selkie said:

Oh yeah, the first time one of my kids drove off alone, I tracked him the whole way on my phone. And when he walked in the door, it was all I could do not to yell, "You survived!" and hug him to death.

I really appreciate the irony of your last sentence. Nice word choice. 

• Like 3

I totally get this. My oldest is a great driver - but I know other people aren't always paying attention to the road. I still worry when she's out driving, but it is great to have another driver. (I remember how it felt when they first started riding bikes without training wheels. Amp it up a ton. I also vividly remember the bloody kid limping home after a bike accident with a police cruiser slowly following her to make sure she made it home safely. Erg.)

Next DD goes this morning to test for her driving permit, so we start the cycle all over again. Wheeee! 

The first few times they drive off alone, I light a candle for them (Catholic btw...probably doesn't need telling=).  They all groaned.  But, I still do this when someone flies or takes a long road trip.  Despite the initial groaning, they now head to the prayer table and blow out their candle when they arrive safely back.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, RootAnn said:

I totally get this. My oldest is a great driver - but I know other people aren't always paying attention to the road. I still worry when she's out driving, but it is great to have another driver. (I remember how it felt when they first started riding bikes without training wheels. Amp it up a ton. I also vividly remember the bloody kid limping home after a bike accident with a police cruiser slowly following her to make sure she made it home safely. Erg.)

Next DD goes this morning to test for her driving permit, so we start the cycle all over again. Wheeee! 

This.  I have taught them to take their time and to leave plenty of room always so that they have room to react when someone else is driving like a moron. Because someone always will be, especially around here and especially during the summer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Its been over a month since this post. Wondering how the OP is doing now?

(DH has been taking DD#2 out for driving lessons lately. She took me out for the first time today & she did great. So, in just over a year, I'll be watching her drive out onto the street alone for the first time and praying she can avoid the stupid drivers.) 

On 4/10/2018 at 7:20 PM, mytwomonkeys said:

Thank you all! She’s home and safe! She called me from the bank to tell me she had made it, so we talked the entire way home, lol. Don’t worry... she has the hands free blue tooth thing in her car. She is going out Friday for dinner with a friend & Saturday to the movies. I’m sure I’ll be panicking then as well, especially since Saturday she’ll use the highway!  I’m so glad to hear it gets easier!!!! I had no idea I was going to feel so stressed out!

'Hands free' cell phone use is still distracted driving, and in many states it's prohibited for novice drivers.