Menu

EIW or Homeschool Connections?

Does anyone have experience with either Aquinas Writing through Homeschool Connections or Essentials in Writing. I am specifically interested in the high school levels for both of these. My son is currently using Aquinas Writing at the 8th grade level, but we just started so we’re doing a crash course through the grammar portions first, as the teacher suggest.

Our goal is to make sure his writing is solid next year for 9th grade & then he will dual enroll in 10th grade at the CC. I want to choose a program that will best prepare him.

Any feedback regarding either program would be much appreciated !

I just bought the 9th grade book of EIW for one of our co-op's writing classes next year. If you have any questions, I'll be glad to try and answer them. The teacher chose it because ti seemed thorough and user friendly.

Ds is doing the 9th grade punctuation and grammar course at Homeschool Connections and will do the next writing course in the sequence when he is finished. I'll be glad to let you know how it goes. I will pay for the extra teacher help in that course. 

My son is finishing up EIW 9 this year. It covers typical high school level essay writing and a research report. We opted for the Grading Servcie... which has made my son more accountable!  He likes it. His only real complaint is that the essay prompts are silly. 

Thank you both so much! Really helpful!

Mom31257, yes I’d love an update regarding Homeschool Connections. My son is finishing up the grammar and punctuation this week at the 8th grade level, and will start sentences and paragraphs next week. He’s moving through the lessons at an accelerated speed, but I wanted to make sure there were no gaps. Once he gets beyond paragraphs we plan to slow down to the normal schedule. 

The thing is, I don’t mind paying the $30 monthly and sticking with HSC through ninth grade. My only real objective is which program will best prepare him for ENC 1101 at the CC in either 10th or 11th grade. I’m just not familiar with either program enough to know which will best meet our goals. So any more advice or updates from what you're using would be so appreciated!

• Like 1