Menu

Tip for driving from VA to NY

mlktwins

We are heading to NY (Long Island) in a couple of weeks for a wedding.  We live in No. VA and will be taking I-95.  We are leaving early Friday morning heading to NY and leaving early Monday morning heading home.

I am very used to bad rush hour traffic around here and will expect that both directions in my area.  I am not familiar with traffic farther north than Baltimore.  I have an EZ-Pass and will have enough money for tolls.

Any tips?  Places to stop to eat?  Things to avoid?  

It's not bad.  If you use the Jersey Turnpike there are several places to stop, but they're all expensive and crowded since they're on the turnpike.  I prefer to bring my own lunch and stretch on the off times so we're not hitting a stop in the middle of the meal rush.

I think all the roads on the route now are EZ pass enabled.

The EZ pass works on all the tolls all the way to NY. We usually stop at the turnpike rest areas but more to stretch and go to the bathroom. The food is overpriced and typical fast food kind of stuff. Coming home, we sometimes go to Ikea in College Park for lunch. :) 

The traffic around NY is bad at rush hour, but coming from this area (we are also in NoVa) it’s not more than what you are probably used to.