Menu

Indiana University - Bloomington

Lanny

Are there any recent threads on WTM about IU?   My DD was invited to a school fair and in the list of schools, IU is the one I find most interesting. Not sure what she will Major in. She is deeply interested in Science, and IU seems to be very strong in Business and Marketing, but also has several CS related Majors.  IU was not a school we had any interest in, until she got the invitation with the list of colleges and universities that will be participating this morning. I did Search, but there was nothing and above where I am typing it says the Forums Search won't work until re-indexing is completed.   Thank you! 

My Dd considered applying bc their Russian dept is quite good. They have the Wells Scholarship which is great, but it requires a 3.4 to maintain it. We worried with dd's health that that might be too high, so she didn't apply.  Last yr another WTMer applied and made it to finalist weekend for an interview though she wasn't selected as a finalist.

• Like 2

8Fill Thank you for all of your comments.  Interesting.  Several years ago, I  discovered (accidentally) that Texas Tech was also rated very high for Russian language studies. That surprised me...  In West Texas.  And now, in Indiana...   I hope your DD's health is OK now and that she is happy where she is going to school. Thanks again!

• Like 1

DS just the past couple of weeks decided to go to Purdue over IU Bloomington for CS, but IU was a definite contender. He was accepted into the Hutton Honors College and interviewed for the Cox Research Scholarship, which would have been a great opportunity (he is currently an alternate but decided he will still go to Purdue even if they offer it to him at some point in the future). He loved the look of the campus, so much gorgeous limestone and green spaces and trees. The School of Informatics and Computers seemed to have a lot to offer, and a friend irl who goes there really likes it. The thing that really clinched it for DS was that IU really emphasized "we can give you a great college experience" in all of their talks, whereas Purdue seemed to emphasize "this is what this university can do for you after graduation". And also our church denomination has a really active youth group at Purdue that he could plug into immediately on arrival. At IU he'd have to be more proactive at finding kids of similar faith, so that was a major factor for him. Ymmv, of course. Good luck to your DD! I'd encourage her to apply for the Cox Research Scholarship, it seemed like a great program!

• Like 2

Momto5...  Thank you!   For Engineering or Hard Science, I think Purdue is a no-brainer.  I am familiar with Purdue, because a late uncle got his B.S. in Electrical Engineering there (and later a Ph.D. from Stanford and he was a Full Professor there) and a friend/colleague got his B.S. in Electrical Engineering (?) at Purdue.  I don’t see much on the IU web site about anything but CS, but it may be there.  Interesting about the scholarships, etc.  Thank you for taking the time to reply to me! The 2 different universities gave your DS a different sales pitch which is interesting. IU is shown on USNEWS as one of the universities that emphasizes Undergraduate Teaching, which I think is a big plus for undergraduate students. And Purdue is telling you what their Network can do for you, after you graduate, with regard to getting employment.

The ideal is a school that offers both.  Texas A&M for example I think tries to make the undergraduate years quite fulfilling, but their huge Network of graduates is something that is also a huge plus for their alumni.  Texas A&M has about 400K(?) alumni and the networking IS a big deal if an Aggie is applying for a position. Sounds like the same for Purdue...

I hope your DS will be extremely happy at Purdue.  If Purdue was coming here next week that would be wonderful.

Momto5:  I spent a few more minutes on the IU web site this morning.  I found some B.S. degrees in the Arts & Sciences College that I will tell my DD about. For example, they have 2 B.S. paths for Math. One for those who want to go into Academic Research. The other for those who want to go into a Hard Science.  Also, the Honors College you mentioned might be of interest to my DD. And. the Scholarships.  Merit and Need Aid.  Next week will be the first time she speaks with a Recruiter from any university.

Thanks again, to you and to 8Fill, for your comments! Much appreciated!

• Like 1

I lived in Bloomington for 15 years, until this past summer. It’s very much a college town, with over half the population affiliated with the university either as students or employees, so I’m generally familiar with the school even though I never took a class or worked there. My husband worked there for a short time, and also has his Master’s from IU. Most my friends have at least one degree from there and/or work(ed) there and/or have kids there.

The business school (Kelley) and the music school (Jacobs) are the best known departments; they’re both ranked very well and are very competitive programs to enter. Kelley has a great reputation for job placement.

I’ve known students who were in the honors programs, and who felt those programs were very supportive and made IU feel less like an overwhelming, giant school.

IU also makes the lists as one of the biggest party schools in the country, and it deserves that reputation. 

• Thanks 1

And now another school fair, in 2 weeks, and it is out of town.  DD told me about this this morning, but she received the email invitation about it 10 days ago. So now we are *very* tightly scheduled the week before she takes the SAT exam.  The "plus" to this is that of 4 schools that will be there, 2 of them are schools DD is quite interested in. One of them will get her SAT score(s).  We made the return flight reservation tonight. That was the most critical.  Next is to make the reservation to go there, and then the reservation for a hotel. In priority order...   Oh, my Windows laptop has an issue and when we got to the point where you pay for the tickets, Windows froze and I couldn't move the mouse, so I had to use one of DDs computers, which is hooked up to her Printer and start over.  "Google Flights" worked very well for me tonight and I will use that for the flight to go up there too.

• Like 1