Menu

Help me pick a new Bible

sukale75

I haven't been to church in years and am ready to go back. I would like to get a new bible. I know I am a visual person so I want something pretty. I am looking at the NIV Beautiful Word Bible (not the one you color in, but the one that is already colored in.)   I live the idea of having room on the side where I can take notes or copy a favorite passage from that page. Any other suggestions? 

My problem with the NIV (from a non-religious perspective) is that the authors of this translation managed to pretty much destroy the literary beauty of one of history's great works.

Instead of providing "poetry" or a verve in the writing that is equal to the Bible's position in our culture, the NIV--IMO--has some of the most wooden prose imaginable. Not a joy to read. 

Bill

• Like 1

So as far as translation, I like the NIV for ease of reading, but SpyCar is right. 

My husband was a consultant for the ESV study bible. He really likes that one because he says it's pretty solid from a scholar's pov. He likes that translation and the study bible, but it won't have white space.

My favorite of all time is a study bible called The Archeological Bible.  It is fascinating. I found it useful when I was on my husband's sabbatical in Israel. Again, it doesn't have white space, the print is small, BUT it is amazing in the commentary. IDK if it comes in an ESV version. 

• Like 3

NASB or ESV are both solid translations. I find that christianbook.com and amazon.com both have an extensive collection of available Bibles. If you search there for "women's devotional Bible" you might find something you like. I do think the Bible you have selected is beautiful, it just isn't my preferred version. Of course, YMMV!

• Like 3

I have bought several pretty Bibles at Christianbook.com.

I have a son and five daughters.  Each one received a Bible for the Christmas or their birthday after they had learned to read.  It took some creativity to find five pretty Bibles for the girls.  I was able to get Bibles for each of them that were feminine looking and in their favorite colors -- purple, pink, blue, pink, and orange!

I prefer an imitation leather cover rather than hardcover.

You will also want to preview the font size.  I have several Bibles here that I can no longer read comfortably.

I went to Christianbook just now and found these journaling Bibles.

NIV:

https://www.christianbook.com/niv-journal-large-print-imitation-leather/9780310447047/pd/447047?event=EBRN

https://www.christianbook.com/niv-comfort-journal-imitation-leather-brown/9780310450283/pd/450285?event=EBRN (not available until fall)

I also found these KJV versions (my preferred version):

https://www.christianbook.com/kjv-notetaking-bible-red-floral-cloth/9781433645600/pd/645601?event=EBRN

https://www.christianbook.com/praise-a-creative-journaling-bible/9781680992809/pd/992802?event=EBRN

And this one is my favorite  (I think because the journaling space is unlined):

https://www.christianbook.com/kjv-journal-imitation-leather-letter-edition/9780718089634/pd/089634?event=EBRN

Does the church you are planning on attending have a version that they use the most?  If so, having your own Bible in that version might make things a bit easier but it is certainly not required.

Besides that, find a Bible that you love the looks and feels of and will enjoy reading and studying from. I prefer the NASB but also have others.  My current devotional Bible is an English/Spanish bilingual one and I love seeing the 2 languages side by side.

If you like the color and find that helpful then go with that one.

• Like 1

First choose which version you'd like. I like ESV or NKJV b/c they are solid translations. You can read other versions online or an app to compare if you're digging down into a particular passage. 

Then, I'd go into a store to look at the Bibles. Page through them. See if you like the size of print (I have a journaling Bible and the print is smaller because of the wide margins). 

I really, really like my study Bibles. I have two of them -- an NIV I used as a brand new mom and a John McArthur study Bible. There are many study Bibles to choose from. I actually have my eye on another one. 

You mentioned wanting to write in your Bible. I use the Micron pens (from my old scrapbooking days) becaue they're fine point and don't bleed through. They've lasted longer than the Bible pens sold at the store. Do you have a Lifeway or independent Christian store near you where you can see the Bibles in person? Even a Barnes & Noble will have several. 

• Like 1