Menu

Looking for Online GED Prep Course for Somebody Who Left HS 7-8 yrs ago and never finished

Her goal is to get her GED, and then go on to college to become a radiology tech.  She has two young children and wants to do this for them.  She left at 14, never got beyond the 10th grade.  It's been awhile since she did any formal schooling and she never really had supportive family to help her when she did.  

I've seen a few online high schools online (such as Penn Foster and the American School), but no idea if they are any good (or just a scam.)

I also saw that Kaplan offers online GED prep.

Any advice/experience? 

• Like 1

I am unfamiliar with online programs, but I do know our metro public library system (California) offers free tutoring to prep for the GED and they also have a free high school diploma program.  The GED tutoring at the library is great because children can come with the parent and hang out in the kids' section during the session. I don't know how widespread these types of programs are, but thought I would throw that out there as an option.

• Like 2

Thanks. She is also interested in online high school programs like Penn Foster.  I think she wants to try and learn all she should have the first time.  I think (but no idea if I'm right) that she could do her GED and then do some general classes at community college which might make more sense than doing the diploma, but honestly I have no idea.

I would assume online school is inferior unless proven otherwise.

Look for programs at libraries and community colleges. If choosing an online high school, see if your state department of education evaluates or recommends any online programs. 

Community colleges don't usually require a high school diploma to start. 

• Like 1

Definitely tell her to check the library. Ours has absolutely free online GED prep, plus live online tutors in every subject. 

Quite a few libraries have this. If her local system doesn't, she just needs to find one that does and also lets non-residents buy a library card. She should be able to find an annual library fee that is much cheaper than paying for Kaplan and such. 

I think the school system offers in-person classes, but that's harder to manage with young children. 

• Like 1

I  like what others have suggested, which is to begin by asking the local   Librarian.  They have the answers or know where to get them.  If possible, I think an accredited High School diploma will serve her better than a GED. There are (dated) threads on WTM  about people who have used American School and I believe one can take more advanced courses from them, than their very basic High School courses, by substitution. I believe American School and also Penn Foster are regionally accredited.   But, as someone else wrote, I wonder if all of that is necessary and whether instead after a "crash course" (she has probably forgotten just about everything, after not using it, that is completely normal) she might then begin with some CC courses. 

Edited by Lanny
added one word