Menu

Feeling kind of mopy and confused

DD13 has decided to matriculate and pursue the AA.  We are choosing to leave her enrolled in high school as well. After doing the numbers, and looking at courses and credits, she has decided to plan to graduate in 2 1/2-3 years, when she’s 16. This lets her live on campus at the colleges that interest her that we’ve looked at. And she can easily tick all boxes. 

So, I officially filed the request to change her grade level for this year and the year before. She is now officially finishing her freshman year of high school. 

Woild someone please explain to me why having a 13 yr old college freshman doesn’t bother me, but having a piece of paper listing DD as a high school freshman, soon to be sophomore (with a lot of extra credits) does? It’s only a one year change,  but somehow, it seems so much more “real”. 

We have had similar feelings as we plan next year.  DS will be taking EC classes and could finish his HS freshman year with 18-20 HS credits.  For whatever reason we would be more comfortable (right now) with him taking all these classes early (and his EC classes) rather then calling him a HS sophomore or junior.  As I write this, I can’t say why.  It may be that we understand his asynchronous development in his academics, sports, music, social and other areas of his life.  We don’t see him or label him as any one “thing”.  He’s not defined solely by his academics, music, social or sports.  And he’s essentially in a different age or peer group for each.  It seems easier to accept his taking EC classes as being only one part of who he is...no label there.  But officially assigning him as a sophomore or something else just seems unnerving to us at this point.  But again we haven’t really thought this through... we are just experiencing this feeling over recent months as we prepare for next year.  Right we see it as the next stage, every year seems to bring a new stage or challenge.  It’s all good. 

• Like 1