Menu

blue tent online honors bio vs Oak Meadow with HOLT bio book

I have been researching Biology all day today for my potential STEM kid that hates BIO and the thought of dissecting something makes her queasy.  But I told her that for highschool she has to do it once.  Her love is in physics, building, blowing things up, etc.  I am exhausted.  And the more that I look, I find more resources and it is making it more confusing.  I just came across a post that mentioned blue tent online honors bio and I already decided that I would be using the Holt Bio book for 9th grade Bio next year.  My search before the Blue Tent Online was to Oak Meadow in thinking that I would just do regular Bio with the Holt book and purchase their lab kit so that it wasn't all online labs.  So I hopped on over to their website to check it out.  My question is, can someone tell me honestly about the workload of the Blue Tent Honors online class?  Also, would I need to purchase the book on top of the tuition $ and the lab $?  Is there anyone that has taken this class that can review it?  Pros/Cons?  Anyone use the Oak Meadow one independently?  Thoughts?   Thanks in advance for the help.  I really need to go clear my mind now.

We used the Oak Meadow bio independently.  My dd hates science so she didn't enjoy it.  It's a good course, but a lot of work.  We didn't do all the labs and had planned on doing the Landry Bio Intensive, but that was when he went under.  We ended up using Late Nite Labs online instead.  So it didn't turn out the way we planned as far as labs.  But it's a very thorough course and takes a lot of time if you do it all.  

What about Open Tent?  I loved the biography of the Biology teacher.  She just seems so enthusiastic.  The kids do a lot of experiments themselves but they also do watch a few video experiments as well for the more difficult/expensive ones.  The HOlt book is easy to find  on amazon!  Especially if you don't wait till September. I think I paid 15.00 :).  It's a really nice textbook with amazing illustrations and it really covers a lot. 

I thought the course fee was fairly reasonable and I was told we'd get a lab supply list, so I am not sure how much the lab supplies will cost, but my understanding was that they take homeschool budgets into consideration. 

My dd took Honors Biology with Blue Tent last school year.  I remember students reading one chapter, answering forum questions and completing assignments (labs, projects or papers) on a weekly basis.  The class finished reading the entire Holt book, they completed six plus dissection labs, a research project and a couple research papers.  There were routine quizzes and exams.  

The teacher was informative, easy to contact and well organized.  If my memory serves me, my dd spent about 4-6hrs each week maybe more depending on the assignments.  I would recommend looking through the assigned Holt biology book online to get an idea of the content level.  I do think the class is at an honor's level.  AP Biology would encompass a good foundation of chemistry along with a year of biology.  My dd enjoys biology so she did well.  I hope this helps to get a better idea of the class. I am happy to answer any questions.

• 1 year later...
On 4/13/2018 at 10:43 PM, Calming Tea said:

What about Open Tent?  I loved the biography of the Biology teacher.  She just seems so enthusiastic.  The kids do a lot of experiments themselves but they also do watch a few video experiments as well for the more difficult/expensive ones.  The HOlt book is easy to find  on amazon!  Especially if you don't wait till September. I think I paid 15.00 :).  It's a really nice textbook with amazing illustrations and it really covers a lot. 

I thought the course fee was fairly reasonable and I was told we'd get a lab supply list, so I am not sure how much the lab supplies will cost, but my understanding was that they take homeschool budgets into consideration. 

How did this class work out for your student? This course is on my list for 10th grade next year. Would you recommend it? Do you feel enough labs were done to consider this a Lab science for transcript purposes? 

TIA 🙂

8 hours ago, BrittiBop16 said:

How did this class work out for your student? This course is on my list for 10th grade next year. Would you recommend it? Do you feel enough labs were done to consider this a Lab science for transcript purposes? 

TIA 🙂

The site isn't loading for me to check, but when I looked before, it seemed the same person was teaching high school physics, chemistry, and biology there next year and it was a new teacher. To say that I was personally dubious about the quality of those courses from a single teacher who didn't seem to have specific experience with them is a bit of an understatement.

4 minutes ago, Farrar said:

The site isn't loading for me to check, but when I looked before, it seemed the same person was teaching high school physics, chemistry, and biology there next year and it was a new teacher. To say that I was personally dubious about the quality of those courses from a single teacher who didn't seem to have specific experience with them is a bit of an understatement.

Yeah, I get an error when I try to access the website sometimes. It usually works when I hit refresh. Yes, it is the same teacher for all 3 classes. My daughter tends to struggle with science so I was hoping to find something that works...

Just now, BrittiBop16 said:

Yeah, I get an error when I try to access the website sometimes. It usually works when I hit refresh. Yes, it is the same teacher for all 3 classes. My daughter tends to struggle with science so I was hoping to find something that works...

Honestly, for a kid who just needs to get it done who is not a STEM student - if you need a live class specifically, then I think I'd do it. They are very responsive as a site and the teachers do seem overall to be really nice, organized, etc. There are so few live class options for science that aren't honors/AP level. So it all depends on the context of what you want.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Farrar said:

My son had paleontology with the teacher that teaches bio, chem, etc at open tent, and she's great.  She seems very knowledgeable and organized.  Also, she taught bio, chem, etc. this year, so she's not brand new.

• Like 1