Menu

Louisville,KY

Stuart

The Highlands would be nice,  or downtown. Avoid west Louisville and, with kids, I'd avoid Old Louisville too (near Univ of Louisville) because it's kind of a mix of types of homes.  Are you going for the Derby? If not, I'd definitely avoid that week. 

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

LOL. Truth is we had a $100 airline credit and it was $100 to fly there. I’d love to see all 50. 

10 hours ago, sbgrace said:

The Highlands would be nice,  or downtown. Avoid west Louisville and, with kids, I'd avoid Old Louisville too (near Univ of Louisville) because it's kind of a mix of types of homes.  Are you going for the Derby? If not, I'd definitely avoid that week. 

Not derby week. 

A place we visited there was called the Ohio River Falls or Flats...I would have to look it up, but a wonderful natural history stop.  Walk out into the river bed and examine fossils, etc.  Fascinating!  There is a museum there that was closed when we were in town, so can't speak of quality. 

• Like 3

Check out the (free) galleries at 21c Museum Hotel.  They have a wonderful restaurant as well.  It's within a block or two of the Slugger museum.

The Muhammad Ali center is *really* well done, also in that same general area.

The Waterfront Park is a great urban park, which I always like to see.

(aspirant to getting to all 50 as well, lol...)

• Like 2

American Printing House for the Blind has a free museum and tour (double check times as they aren’t daily). It’s free and only takes about an hour or two. I really found it interesting, my kids had mixed opinions, but loved typing in Braille.

The Science Museum is across the street from the Sluggar Museum, if you have elementary aged kids it’s fun. They accept reciprocal memberships if you are a member of your local science center.

The Frazier Museum is in that same area, depending on the current exhibit it could be interesting. 

Even if you aren’t there for Derby, you may be able to catch a race at Churchill Downs and visit the Derby Museum. 

If you like outdoor activities: Tioga Falls, Jefferson Memorial Forest, Bernheim Forest, and the Parklands are some areas you could visit. Bernheim is near Jim Beam if you want a Bourbon Tour. 

I’ve never been but do plan to take my kids to the Thomas Edison House eventually. 

I can’t speak to areas, but I would not stay close to U of L or Churchill Downs. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stuart said:

LOL. Truth is we had a $100 airline credit and it was $100 to fly there. I’d love to see all 50. 

I hear ya, I'm just being snarky because that's where the in-laws live and I've visited entirely too many times. 

The Science Museum is very good. I bailed on the Louisville Slugger factory, can't help you there. 

The most interesting, vacation-y thing we have done there is zip lining in a cavern underneath the city. For me, it was fairly terrifying, but everyone else loved it and it was certainly an experience. https://louisvillemegacavern.com/attractions/mega-zips

• Like 1

If you go to the Louisville Slugger Museum, you get a free mini bat.  You'll need to check a bag if you want to fly home with it.

I agree with the suggestions already given.  The Science museum, Frazier, Falls of the Ohio, and Derby museum are nice.  

The South side of Louisville is not that bad.  It's the blue collar side of town.  

Check the rocks used as landscaping in parking lots and near businesses.  There are lots of fossils in the area.  

• Like 1