Menu

Grammar for the WTM check in

If you are using this, how is it going?

We are at the last lesson in Week 22. I am feeling pretty discouraged by how long it is taking us to work through this. Generally one lesson is taking two days for us now. Although, some of this is very advanced and many of my friends have never covered it before (like identifying if something is subjunctive versus modal). I am sort of scared of the next level since this one seems hard.

Can we start a thread of submitted corrections?

I have submitted a lot but they are not on the website. 

I have come to peace that this not something we will come close to finishing this year. We are still in the 70s. I feel like this son is learning so much more than my first son did in Analytical Grammar. In fact, what I am learning is helping me help oldest child with his continuation exercises. Thankfully, just as I asked him about something, he said that he had just learned it in Latin. So I think my first-born will be fine. The child in WTM Grammar is finding it helpful in understanding how to write better, so he says. He does not claim to like it though. I think he sees the value, so he doesn't complain too much!

• Like 1

There isn't really a next level as much as spiraling back. We put it up after week 25 and will start again at the beginning for my oldest next year. She will be seventh grade. 

I feel like it is very, VERY thorough and so I'm fine taking a few years to work through it. She's getting more grammar than I ever did. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, blondeviolin said:

There isn't really a next level as much as spiraling back. We put it up after week 25 and will start again at the beginning for my oldest next year. She will be seventh grade. 

I feel like it is very, VERY thorough and so I'm fine taking a few years to work through it. She's getting more grammar than I ever did. 

It is reassuring to look at it that way. Although there is NO way my kids are going to make it through four years of this at a rate of one book every 1.5 years.  =)  That's the part that is scaring me a bit--I mean, it's going to get harder! (insert scared emoji here)

3 hours ago, cintinative said:

It is reassuring to look at it that way. Although there is NO way my kids are going to make it through four years of this at a rate of one book every 1.5 years.  =)  That's the part that is scaring me a bit--I mean, it's going to get harder! (insert scared emoji here)

I'm not sure... SWB said that levels 1-3 were designed to start with one level and progress through three. But she also said you could fold in kids as you go too. So maybe not?? The IG is for all levels so I think maybe the quotes and context in the next will be harder, but maybe the same concepts?

We'd just be happy to get through this first level...I think you could likely use the same level twice in a row for more mastery. That might be what we do if the next level isn't out next year. At this point, we've paused because my oldest is only 11 and hitting  harder stuff in writing. She's reviewing with AG for the rest of the year and we'll pick up GftWTM at the beginning of next school year at the latest. 

• Like 1

My understanding is that the levels won’t be harder, but different.  

Are you continuing next year where you left off or starting fresh with the next level?  I think I’ve heard her say both as options in the YouTube videos.  That if you moved to the next book, you’d speed through the parts they had mastered and focus on what they struggled with the previous year as well as what hadn’t been covered.

We are just getting ready to start it this coming week.  My DD has been wanting a challenge in grammar.  I think she’ll get what she’s been asking for.  

21 hours ago, cintinative said:

I don't think it is. The content is different, but the intensity is no supposed to be. You'll be able to use the levels in any order, that's why they're removing the numbers from the titles and using the colours instead.

So, don't stress. Just work through it at a reasonable pace, and then work through the next book.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kiara.I said:

I don't think it is. The content is different, but the intensity is no supposed to be. You'll be able to use the levels in any order, that's why they're removing the numbers from the titles and using the colours instead.

This may be the best news I have had all year!