Menu

The Potter's School English help:(

I signed my daughter up for English 2 with TPS.  She will be a very young 9th grader in the fall. Her birthday is in July.   She took the placement test and scored decent, but not great on the essay part, but only got 19 out of 30 of the grammar questions correct.  They want her to take 2 summer courses or they will not approve her for English 2.  Our other option is to take English 1.   We absolutely cannot take 2 summer courses.  Our summer is already booked.  Is TPS English classes really this advanced?  Sigh!!   I am considering just letting her take the English 1 for 9th and continuing from there.  Can I still give her a credit for English 1 even though it is really designed for 7th and 8th grade?  I guess I could give her extra work?  I don't know, just feeling like I have failed her.   Any advice??

TPS English classes are very grammar-heavy. If that is not a priority for you/your DD, you might try another provider’s class. In my opinion, TPS English 1 is NOT high school credit-worthy. (My oldest did TPS Eng 1-3 back when she was homeschooling; she’s now a sophomore in college.) My younger kids have done WTMA and Integritas Academy English classes an I’ve been much happier with them.

TPS English classes are somewhat advanced and very grammar heavy as the previous poster said.  My dd took one summer class once with TPS in order to “qualify” to get into the class we wanted.  One class during the summer was a lot.  I can’t imagine doing two.  I think that’s too much.  Have you asked if there is one she could take to get into English 2?

I would look at another provider. Wilson Hill Academy (WHA), Excelsior, Big River Academy, Open Tent, Well Trained Mind Academy, HSLDA Online Academy, etc. The Master List of Online Classes will have links at the top that you can check out, then come back here & see if there are any reviews (or you can ask for some if you can't find any).

It is difficult to find writing classes that give good, specific, and enough timely feedback, but they do exist. (Some are super pricey but have an awesome teacher - like Integritas Academy's.)