Menu

Summer math plans

I’m thinking ahead to summer.

For one child I would like to review 2nd grade math, and begin some 3rd grade math.  He needs a focus on subtraction with re-grouping, and word problems. 

For another child, she needs practice on mental math and that’s all I’m planning on, for a rising 4th grader.  I will also review math facts as needed, but I am expecting her to be pretty solid before summer and be doing more of a review of them.  

I’m planning to buy Math Mammoth 2 and 3, and have my daughter do the mental math sections from both books.  I’m planning to use pages from both for my son to review and practice, he will need to do written work.  

I’d also like to play some math games with both kids, I’m starting to look on Amazon.

Right now with afterschooling, my daughter is working on math facts, and I’m seeing she needs to be better at mental math just with adding things like 49+7.  She can do it but it’s an effort.  Other than that I think she’s doing fine.  (If she multiplies 7x8 and we talk about known facts, she is good at knowing to do 7x7 and then add 7, which is good, and then she has to think really hard to add 49+7.)  (She also has trouble with 70-7, and she has trouble with 40-8.  Other times she does it, but then adding two 2-digit numbers is overwhelming to her, if she can’t write it down.)  

With my son he is working on reading only.  It’s very productive right now.  I would like to transition from phonics to spelling when he gets through some more phonics.  I would like him to read aloud with me daily (number one priority).  

Next year after school I expect to still sit with him for reading out loud.  Past that I doubt I can get both spelling and math done, and I don’t know which one I would prioritize.  Time for him to listen to stories will also be a top priority.  

I’m expecting spelling to also be a phonics review, so I think it will depend on how badly I think he needs to review phonics, for how highly I prioritize spelling.  

• Like 1

Mille Bornes is terrific! We have also found that Ticket to Ride and Hey! That’s My Fish, which are not billed as “math” games, have encouraged mental math. Ticket to Ride was great for adding 7, 4 and 15 and Hey! That’s My Fish encouraged multiplying by 2 and 3. 

Our summer math plan is just a continuation of what we do during the year. For my current K’er, it’s Miquon Red and Orange and Singapore IP 1A/1B. I will save the challenge questions in IP for the second half of the school year. My goal for my K’er is to have him develop his number sense and his ability to verbally explain his thought process.

For my current 3rd grader, we will start BA 3D, Singapore IP 4A and CWP 4. Both kids do Mindbenders once a week and my 3rd grader also enjoys Balance Benders. 

It sounds like a lot, but my 3rd grader doesn’t do every problem. We skip at least half the non challenge problems in IP and CWP and concentrate on the meatier stuff. My goal for my 3rd grader is to work on showing her work methodically and to grow as a determined problem solver. 

My 3rd grader does Xtra Math through school and I am not sure whether we will continue over the summer. 

Our school doesn’t specifically assign any summer math. Does anyone’s school assign summer math?

Edited for typos

Thanks for the other suggestions!

I’ve been given math packets for my son who has special needs.  They are ones his teacher makes specifically for him.  

For my other kids, no.

At the last parent-teacher conference if the year, they may bring up a weak area and suggest to work on it.  They will suggest to buy a workbook,  print worksheets from the internet, or something like that.  If they do a computer game at school they will say kids can keep logging in over the summer.  They have done Sumdog and Xtramath this way.  My kids hate Xtramath.  

I think if there are parents who aren’t able to get a workbook or something, teachers will make packets. That’s how it was with my son who has special needs, it is more consistent for him to keep using what he has been doing at school.  

What you might ask about, is codes for any online stuff that goes with the math curriculum. That is a thing sometimes, but the teachers might not automatically send it home for the summer.  

For me, it mainly gets brought up only if there is a weak area, and areas that are fine they don’t bring up.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lecka said:

Thanks for the other suggestions!

I’ve been given math packets for my son who has special needs.  They are ones his teacher makes specifically for him.  

For my other kids, no.

At the last parent-teacher conference if the year, they may bring up a weak area and suggest to work on it.  They will suggest to buy a workbook,  print worksheets from the internet, or something like that.  If they do a computer game at school they will say kids can keep logging in over the summer.  They have done Sumdog and Xtramath this way.  My kids hate Xtramath.  

I think if there are parents who aren’t able to get a workbook or something, teachers will make packets. That’s how it was with my son who has special needs, it is more consistent for him to keep using what he has been doing at school.  

What you might ask about, is codes for any online stuff that goes with the math curriculum. That is a thing sometimes, but the teachers might not automatically send it home for the summer.  

For me, it mainly gets brought up only if there is a weak area, and areas that are fine they don’t bring up.  

Good tip about the online codes!

And my 3rd grader also hates Xtra Math, mainly because of that smiling guy. We haven’t tried Sumdog - it it less annoying?

It’s not as high tech, but we have an old Flashmaster and my kids don’t mind doing it. I think they like the sensation of pushing actual buttons. It’s not a regular part of our math routine, but I might add it in. 

My daughter loves Sumdog at school, they have team competitions and she and her friends compare items they buy for their clubhouse (?).  

She was mad two days because her teacher wanted them to do it for indoor recess, then the teacher quit doing that. 

When she has logged in at home she doesn’t actually do much math.  Her teacher ?????? I don’t know specifically but I know she does math with it at school.  

I think for her, it’s not that good at home.  She is the only girl.  If she had a sister, I think if they both liked the girl-themed stuff it would be a hit.  My sons have no enthusiasm for getting princess outfits.  

Much older kids, but I'll chime in with my summer math plans.  My kids will be doing Sylvan Edge for 2 hours per week, and a one-week cram course in August.  I have promised not to give them "homework" type work this summer.

When they were in primary, they were open to workbooks such as Kumon, Flash Kids, and Brain Quest summer bridge.  I did try some online math programs, but they didn't really do it for us.

• Like 1

This summer, I will try to make math 'fun' again for my 3rd grader who has developed 'math anxiety' this year (mostly due to daily timed exposure to XtraMath). I will review, solidify, and extend the 3rd grade curriculum & preview 4th grade. I will do this mainly through games, literature, conversation (math talks--mental math), and math-inspired art and projects. Last summer, she took an arty math camp & enjoyed it so I may enroll her again. 

BTW, we have worked all year on fact fluency mostly through 'math tricks', conversation, apps, and games. For those 'tricky' multiplication facts, creating her own rhymes has helped her A LOT. Tapping into her creativity was the ticket to helping her memorize those pesky facts.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2018 at 4:05 PM, Earthmerlin said:

This summer, I will try to make math 'fun' again for my 3rd grader who has developed 'math anxiety' this year (mostly due to daily timed exposure to XtraMath). I will review, solidify, and extend the 3rd grade curriculum & preview 4th grade. I will do this mainly through games, literature, conversation (math talks--mental math), and math-inspired art and projects. Last summer, she took an arty math camp & enjoyed it so I may enroll her again. 

BTW, we have worked all year on fact fluency mostly through 'math tricks', conversation, apps, and games. For those 'tricky' multiplication facts, creating her own rhymes has helped her A LOT. Tapping into her creativity was the ticket to helping her memorize those pesky facts.

I’ve also found that math talks are an invaluable tool! They are great for developing number sense and committing math facts to memory. Have you read Making Number Talks Matter? 

https://www.amazon.com/Making-Number-Talks-Matter-Understanding/dp/1571109986

Also, I saw your other post on geometry - funny, I am planning an exploration of geometry for my 3rd grader as well! I have Hands On Geometry and a modular origami book. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, underthebridge said:

I’ve also found that math talks are an invaluable tool! They are great for developing number sense and committing math facts to memory. Have you read Making Number Talks Matter? 

https://www.amazon.com/Making-Number-Talks-Matter-Understanding/dp/1571109986

Also, I saw your other post on geometry - funny, I am planning an exploration of geometry for my 3rd grader as well! I have Hands On Geometry and a modular origami book. 

Thanks for the additional resource. I haven't yet read that book but have enjoyed: https://www.amazon.com/Number-Talks-Whole-Computation-Grades/dp/1935099655/ref=pd_bxgy_14_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1935099655&pd_rd_r=FR77FEHFFJKYE42B65XQ&pd_rd_w=zNDnR&pd_rd_wg=hUgeK&psc=1&refRID=FR77FEHFFJKYE42B65XQ.

Cool, modular origami--I will need to look into that! 

i also printed some free Olympiad problems that we'll playfully tackle this summer.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2018 at 9:04 AM, Earthmerlin said:

Thanks for the additional resource. I haven't yet read that book but have enjoyed: https://www.amazon.com/Number-Talks-Whole-Computation-Grades/dp/1935099655/ref=pd_bxgy_14_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1935099655&pd_rd_r=FR77FEHFFJKYE42B65XQ&pd_rd_w=zNDnR&pd_rd_wg=hUgeK&psc=1&refRID=FR77FEHFFJKYE42B65XQ.

Cool, modular origami--I will need to look into that! 

i also printed some free Olympiad problems that we'll playfully tackle this summer.

That book looks like a great resource! Thanks for recommending. There is one on fractions by the same author that I am going to check out. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have changed our plans for this summer.  I got talked into one-on-one tutoring for one of my kids who keeps falling behind in math.  Way more expensive, but she will not be receptive to working with me, and she really needs some serious work.  My other kid asked me to switch out Sylvan's "Math Edge" for creative writing work - so now she does not have anything set up for math other than a one-week algebra prep course.  She doesn't need much, but I will work in some review at home.

I think we are too old for a lot of the great ideas above.  I do have some ideas and lots of materials already, so maybe I'll report back what works.

• Like 1

My daughter has done really poorly remembering anything from the common core math she was given.  They introduced a topic, did it for a week, and then NEVER returned to it again in any sort of review.  They had them doing a game called prodigy which was supposed to help with mental math, but my daughter has never progressed with it at all.  She's in fourth grade and adding 10 to any number is a mystery to her.  I'm thinking of just doing Saxon math with her all summer so she can actually remember what she "learned" during the school year.  She is going to a new school next year that uses Singapore and actually groups kids according to math level so I think she'll finally be in a better place.  I really want to review spelling and teach her how to type because she was expected to know how to type for tests at the school but they don't actually teach it.  Her spelling was never checked in her daily writing and since homeschooling the previous year, I've seen her abilities decrease dramatically since attending this particular public school.  I think though we'll focus on math since she feels stupid in math and she's really not and typing games online.  She is moving schools.  This charter school that proclaims how wonderful the education the students are receiving is basically unable to see it's own deficiencies.

10 hours ago, bethben said:

My daughter has done really poorly remembering anything from the common core math she was given.  They introduced a topic, did it for a week, and then NEVER returned to it again in any sort of review.  They had them doing a game called prodigy which was supposed to help with mental math, but my daughter has never progressed with it at all.  She's in fourth grade and adding 10 to any number is a mystery to her.  I'm thinking of just doing Saxon math with her all summer so she can actually remember what she "learned" during the school year.  She is going to a new school next year that uses Singapore and actually groups kids according to math level so I think she'll finally be in a better place.  I really want to review spelling and teach her how to type because she was expected to know how to type for tests at the school but they don't actually teach it.  Her spelling was never checked in her daily writing and since homeschooling the previous year, I've seen her abilities decrease dramatically since attending this particular public school.  I think though we'll focus on math since she feels stupid in math and she's really not and typing games online.  She is moving schools.  This charter school that proclaims how wonderful the education the students are receiving is basically unable to see it's own deficiencies.

I agree with working on math, and now while she is young enough to be willing to work with you.

I would just caution that Singapore isn't a cure-all.  My kids' school used it from grades 1-5 and all the school's results did was go down.  It has the same problem you describe with covering a topic just barely long enough for the average kid to "get it" and then switch to something totally different, with little or no review.  There probably are good strategies that schools can use to review etc., but apparently not every school uses them.  Honestly, 6 years ago I was determined to love Singapore, but based on our experience, I hate it.  This year they are using a more traditional course, Holt McDougal Mathematics, which is so much better; but there is too much damage control to be done in one year.

In earlier years, we used to have more time outside of school to shore up forgotten concepts.  But starting in 5th grade, the homework load increases a lot, and they are doing more social stuff with their classmates (school sports, bowling league, youth group...).  There isn't a bunch of time for remediation / extra practice.  So if you can get your daughter caught up over the summer, that would be best.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Singapore is common core aligned so I would say be very thoughtful about what in "Common Core" wasn't working. Our whole state is CC aligned, as is Beast Academy, and there are many programs. So is it the lack of spiraling, or the pace, or her developmental level? I know some states adopted all-state programs based on lobbying but common core is just a skills list by grade level so don't avoid that designation wholesale. Instead figure out what method did not work and avoid that / supplement it.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2018 at 6:34 PM, SKL said:

I agree with working on math, and now while she is young enough to be willing to work with you.

I would just caution that Singapore isn't a cure-all.  My kids' school used it from grades 1-5 and all the school's results did was go down.  It has the same problem you describe with covering a topic just barely long enough for the average kid to "get it" and then switch to something totally different, with little or no review.  There probably are good strategies that schools can use to review etc., but apparently not every school uses them.  Honestly, 6 years ago I was determined to love Singapore, but based on our experience, I hate it.  This year they are using a more traditional course, Holt McDougal Mathematics, which is so much better; but there is too much damage control to be done in one year.

In earlier years, we used to have more time outside of school to shore up forgotten concepts.  But starting in 5th grade, the homework load increases a lot, and they are doing more social stuff with their classmates (school sports, bowling league, youth group...).  There isn't a bunch of time for remediation / extra practice.  So if you can get your daughter caught up over the summer, that would be best.

Good luck!

I know about Singapore and lack of review also.  I actually used it and abandoned it with two of my kids only because they were constantly forgetting concepts previously learned. We're see if this new school actually does group according to math levels.  I think it will be a quick road to help her remember stuff, but honestly, having a kid in a public school that's well rated helps me understand completely why the United States is so far behind other countries academically.

On 5/5/2018 at 8:34 PM, SKL said:

Good luck!

Yikes, that’s troubling. Do you think it was the curriculum or the ability to teach the curriculum? 

53 minutes ago, underthebridge said:

Yikes, that’s troubling. Do you think it was the curriculum or the ability to teach the curriculum? 

Probably the ability to teach it - they had just switched to it when my kids entered 1st grade - but the curriculum is in many ways not logical / intuitive.  I spent about an hour a day helping my kids at home, and there were too many times when I had no idea what the writers were thinking, or I just plain hated the way they went about things.  (And it's not because I don't get math.)  IMO it's a poor curriculum for kids who are not wired to be math wizzes.

On 5/5/2018 at 5:34 PM, SKL said:

Good luck!

Are you talking about the Singapore Math Primary Mathematics edition or are you talking about the Math In Focus series (which is also a singapore math based curriculum)?

5 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

Are you talking about the Singapore Math Primary Mathematics edition or are you talking about the Math In Focus series (which is also a singapore math based curriculum)?

I have also had a bad experience with Singapore (my dd9 used it for a semester at home this year). She sort of "figured it out" - she could do the problems and demonstrate understanding because she didn't have to change her way of thinking frequently. But there was no recall at all. She's doing *so much butter* now that she's using MEP, though at first she was in tears every day because she had to think in different ways throughout the lesson. I also really hated the way the TM was set up and found it completely non-intuitive. 

She liked Singapore because it was comfortable to her - she never had to switch gears. But it didn't stick or lead to a deeper understanding. I used a placement test from a different math curriculum as her semester exam and found she was way behind where she'd been before the beginning of the year. That was when we jumped ship.

Emily

37 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

MIF (which is usually what US schools mean when they say Singapore - but point taken - it might not be the same).