Menu

Question for Canadians

whitestavern

We are heading to Quebec for vacation, staying just northeast of Quebec City in a condo, and then will be traveling to Montreal after. I'm wondering what prices are like at grocery stores. I'm bringing some items but wondering if there are other things I should be thinking about. Any advice? Also, since I wasn't sure how much liquor costs, we are planning on bringing some beer and wine. Is it okay to cross the border with that? Is there anything we can't cross the border with? If liquor is less expensive in Canada, we'll purchase it there. We will be skiing while we are there, as well as sightseeing. Dh and I have been to Quebec City but kids have not. Since we'll be there for about a week (inc. Montreal) would love any suggestions for must-do stuff. We are active outdoorsy people but like museums and really most everything. Any suggestions for excellent but not break the bank completely restaurants in Quebec City would be appreciated too. We'll be eating most meals in but definitely want to try some local places.

I'm way on the other side of Canada but all that I know is the Canadian beer is usually a higher percent alcohol content than US beer and yes you can cross the border with alcohol.

Actually, I do know a little about what you can and can't take across the border. Don't bring any fresh produce at all. Some is actually OK, but it's just too difficult to try to navigate that. Don't bring any firearms either. Don't bring over ten thousand in cash (you can but it's an extra nuisance).

Hope you enjoy your stay!

Can't help you with the border questions, but I wouldn't bring too much food.  There are a wide range of grocery stores to suit all budgets and since you've been to Qc City before, you know that there are many wonderful bakeries and places where you can buy wonderful cheeses, charcuteries, bread etc!  Please don't bring much food, even if budget is a concern.  It's possible to live well here (including street food, poutine, "steamies" (hot dogs with mustard, cole slaw and onion) without breaking the bank.  I'm not sure, but you might find that some alcohol is more expensive (namely wine).  Beer might not be so bad, you can buy it in "dépanneurs" (convenience stores).

In Quebec City, I can recommend the Restaurant Parmesan on rue St-Louis.   As the name suggests, the food is Italian and one of the owners even makes the smoked salmon and prosciutto.  And the decor is something else.  There's a very fun vibe there.  For a relaxed morning reading the paper and munching on croissants dunked in café au lait, I can recommend Paillard on rue St Jean.  For a more formal and substantial brunch, there's Ciel! Bistro, a revolving restaurant at the Hotel Le Concorde on Cours General de Montcalm which we also really liked.  I'm sure the dinner menu is very good too but we chose brunch as the less expensive option.  For things to do, we loved our guided tour of the Citadel, the musée nationale des beaux arts du Québec, shopping at Simons (Quebec department store chain, near Paillard), just wandering the streets, taking the funicular etc.  We didn't have time for the Musée de la Civilization but I'm sure it's worth checking out.   Outside Quebec City, there's the Chutes Montmorency, which I haven't seen but my daughter did on a school trip and loved.

It's tougher to focus on things in Montreal because the city is that much larger.  It is definitely worth going to Mont Royal for a walk, especially on  a weekend when everybody is out and about.  People watching is a big thing, and can continue in the myriad of cafés on rue St Denis, Parc, St Laurent ("The Main") or anywhere in the Plateau.  If you're really hungry, fresh squeezed orange juice, bagels and blintzes at Beauty's on rue Mont-Royal is great.  There's usually a line-up, but they're efficient at getting people in and out.  If you have read Mordecai Richler, you can explore the neighbourhood that he immortalized in his books.  I'm afraid that this is not the most beautiful time of the year in Montreal if you're coming now, so please forgive us the dirty grey (remnants of) snow, brown grass and bare tree branches.  I don't know where you live, but perhaps your conditions are similar so hopefully you won't be disappointed.  (also, Quebec City is colder than Montreal).  Even so, it's worth just walking around various areas and exploring where your fancy takes you.  Old Montreal is cool (including Pointe à Callière museum).  Downtown there's the McCord museum across from McGill University and its campus, not to mention the underground shopping.  The aforementioned Plateau is worth exploring, also Outremont and Westmount (for a bourgeois vibe).  My family enjoyed a recent trip to the Musée SaintGabriel in Pointe-Saint-Charles.  There's a more bohemian feel in Verdun and neighbouring St Henri.

I think I've gone on enough!  If you have specific questions, particularly about Montreal, feel free to pm me.  I haven't even touched on some of the wonderful national parks around the city where you could enjoy hiking.

Enjoy your trip!

Edited by CaitlinC
To remove completely false info about alcohol taxes :-)

Oooh, thank you! So much great information here. One other question we just thought of... what are gas prices like in Canada? We will probably fill up in VT, but if Canada is much cheaper, maybe we should wait.

We live in New England so we are fine with the gray snow and bare trees, lol. I ended up just bringing some chicken, beef, and pork since I like pastured meats and wasn't sure of availability up there. We are on a budget but will definitely eat a few meals out.

We will likely be staying in Old Montreal. What is parking like there? Do most hotels have free parking?

• Like 1

I would think twice about bringing meat because it will almost always trigger an inspection at the border. Depending on the type and source they often will require additional info & to examine it. 

That said, here's the gov't page on it: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/information-for-consumers/travellers/what-can-i-bring-into-canada-/eng/1389648337546/1389648516990

Gas is cheaper in the US than Canada so fill up a tank. We have high carbon and sales taxes to pay for our social safety net and health care :)  Grocery stores vary - some are trendy & expensive, others are cheaper.  Honestly,  I find the best way is to ask people at your hotel, condo or just on the street. 

Alcohol is also cheaper in the US. There are limits on what you can bring in. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ivc-rnc-eng.html

Remember though that your USD will go much further in Canada. The exchange rate is in your favour right now. 

do not bring weapons. Declare everything. If you have food, declare it even if they don't ask you about it. 

Montreal is cosmopolitan. I have no doubt you'll find all the meats and deli products you can imagine. There are some great Jewish delis in Old Montreal.   

• Like 1

I'm sorry, I don't know about free parking at hotels.  The parking situation in Montreal depends on the area and time of day.  Downtown will cost about $25 a day in a parking lot.  There are lots of paid parking spots but the more central you are, the more likely you will have to drive around to find something.  You just need to be persistent, something always turns up.

Btw, I agree with everything Hornblower had to say.  Definitely tank up in the States.  Gas is supposedly $1.23 a litre (1/4 gallon) today in Montreal, but in my neighbourhood it's $1.30.