Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

Orpington

How much longer is the "all guys grow beards" thing going to last?

Recommended Posts

Dh has always had some form of beard and mustache since we've been together.  HE usually has just a little patch but he can grow a pretty long full beard, which makes him look a lot like Santa Clause - but he only has one chest hair.  LOL.

ETA: Wow, that picture attached is huge.  IS there a way to make it smaller?

10882384_10205458049001257_5599938153800663778_n.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Orpington said:

 

Well, obviously, beards are OK and earrings are OK. But I see a pretty big difference, in that beards are an adult's choice, and adults have enough time to  know what they want. While ear peircing is  most often done to childrenwho are still forming an identity and ideas of what "should" be done to their bodies.

The subjects being judged in the same way are different from one another, yes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bluegoat said:

 

Beards seem to have long-standing historical shifts in popularity, at least in the west.  They will go in or out of style for a long time, without being an absolute.

Aside from Sex and the City, Gwyneth Paltrow popularized the Brazilian wax.  Though I hear she has given it up.

I am so amused by the turn this conversation has taken.  Gwyneth Paltrow is the stone cold worst. It's so funny to know how her mood has shifted re: her bush lol. What a weird thing to know. 

There are lots of little jokes to be had in the Muslim sector about hipster beards. Because they've promoted them since basically the beginning of Islam.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, OKBud said:

The subjects being judged in the same way are different from one another, yes.

 

I don't understand what you're upset about?   Yes, I do have judgements and opinions.   I wish little girls didn't feel pressured to get piecing.  I feel stronger about that than I do my mild observations about whether beards are a hipster /  millennial thing or a more widespread fashion here that will still be around for another 10 years.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

Dh has always had some form of beard and mustache since we've been together.  HE usually has just a little patch but he can grow a pretty long full beard, which makes him look a lot like Santa Clause - but he only has one chest hair.  LOL.

ETA: Wow, that picture attached is huge.  IS there a way to make it smaller?

 

 

I can see the Santa Claus connection but for me, he looks a bit more like Michael Landon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Orpington said:

 

I don't understand what you're upset about?   Yes, I do have judgements and opinions.   I wish little girls didn't feel pressured to get piecing.  I feel stronger about that than I do my mild observations about whether beards are a hipster /  millennial thing or a more widespread fashion here that will still be around for another 10 years.   

I am zero percent upset. I have literally no feelings about any of this. 

 

Edit: oh except for about Gwyneth Paltrow and her lifestyle business LOL. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, OKBud said:

I am zero percent upset. I have literally no feelings about any of this. 

 

Edit: oh except for about Gwyneth Paltrow and her lifestyle business LOL. bushness

Fixed that for ya!

Just test driving the new board features...strike through and such...

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, unsinkable said:

Just test driving the new board features...strike through and such...

Ha! Your adaptive auto correct is about to get pretty embarrassing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, OKBud said:

Ha! Your adaptive auto correct is about to get pretty embarrassing.

I tried to change business to bushness within your post bc someone mentioned GP's bush another post

It looks like it worked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t really know any men with beards. Most of the guys I know work with Dh and there is a no facial hair policy. As for the other, well, having been hairless not by choice, I’m okay with not shaving. It took months for the hair on my legs to grow again. I’m happy now to have it. I just wish there was some color. All my hair came back without pigment, although that is changing now. (I’m still waiting for my eyebrows to come back in any color. LOL)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am just blown away with this woman's shaving thing. I have never heard of it ever. Nor iof even trimming. If it started in 2000 I guess I was too immersed in small babies to be aware. But I have never missed a "universal trend" in my life. I mean at least to know it existed--for 17 years! Crazy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought of this thread as I was chatting with ds last night, and his boss this morning (at church.)

ds said he'd never do just a mustache as then the family resemblance to my brother is too great.   (bushy mustache - and he waxes the ends to make them curl.)

his boss (this is the two weeks he will skip shaving- he refers to it as cpa rebellion.  this morning his wife refused to kiss him unless he shaved. she didn't like how scratchy it was.  so, he was clean shaved.)  was admiring ds's beard.  (apparently others of the male staff do).  He even said if he could grow one like it he'd have a beard.  (it's very thick, but short and neatly trimmed and cropped, hardly anything below his bottom lip except that little caterpillar with an arrowhead on top because that's how it grows - chin is full),

- so these are professional males wearing/liking beards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2018 at 2:16 PM, hornblower said:

oooooh, I really dislike piercings on babies....   I'm super judgy about that. 

I have been judgy about that, as well. I really dislike it.

And then I discovered, after a conversation with our pediatrician about how DD12 scars so easily (forming lumpy scar tissue, not just skin marks), that many people of color pierce ears young, because infant earlobes don't scar from the trauma, though scars might form if you wait until older to pierce. It's riskier to pierce past young childhood.

I wish now that we had pierced DD's ears when she was bitty, because we are too fearful to do it now. And she would oh, so much love to have pierced ears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my brother, the tradesman  ( from the news news ). https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/39534338/fed-up-builder-catches-tool-thief-in-the-act/

3 of my brothers have facial hair like this and one of my sons. the other has thicker facial hair and a little bit longer along with long shoulder length hair, (the academic look of lots of male uni students)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, OKBud said:

I am so amused by the turn this conversation has taken.  Gwyneth Paltrow is the stone cold worst. It's so funny to know how her mood has shifted re: her bush lol. What a weird thing to know. 

There are lots of little jokes to be had in the Muslim sector about hipster beards. Because they've promoted them since basically the beginning of Islam.

 

You see the same kind of stuff in some Jewish or Christian Orthodox communities.  I remember quite a while ago now seeing a post on beards called "Hipster or Orthodox" where you saw just a tiny pic that had been cropped, and had to guess whether it was a hipster beard or a religious beard.

I find it weird to know about Gwens rug too.  How does she end up talking about this stuff all the time - Jade eggs, steaming her girly bits, etc?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...