Menu

Most accurate Science for 5th-7th?

What programs should I look at that have the best science in them (most accurate, least mistakes) for my strong reader 5th and 7th. It doesn't have to be secular, though if it is Christian I prefer a program that let's God's creation speak for itself rather than always pointing it out.  

Thanks,

Kendall 

I guess I'm not sure what's meant by most accurate if you're also open to Christian programs? Which is to say, I understand that some Christians feel that secular science isn't accurate and obviously secular schoolers are going to think a YEC program isn't accurate, but if you're open to both, I really don't get it.

Most of the programs I've seen that are secular are accurate... but they often focus on really different things. Families have such different goals with science, especially in the middle school years. Some people are eager to get ready for high school science and even start in on high school level classes. Others want middle school science to be rabbit trails and interest led. Some people want plenty of hands on activities, while others don't want to deal with the mess and just want to read. Some families are concerned that there be output, while others are fine with reading and watching content without much output.

Basically, I think your question doesn't really narrow much meaningful down, especially without understanding what "accuracy" you're concerned about.

• Like 2

Sorry, I wasn't more clear. I'm really not sure how to explain what I mean, but think about what you personally look for in terms of accuracy if you leave origins (evolution vs. creation, etc.) out of the picture.   I'm picturing Richard Feynman sitting in his basement and looking at elementary school science texts and exploding like a volcano on a regular basis because of what was written in the texts. Which will make no sense if you haven't read What do you Care What People Think. LOL! At least I think it was in that book.    I know from time to time a science book has been mentioned on the boards as having a lot of bad explanations. I know there is a line (I don't know how fine of a line) between simplifying and losing accuracy. When you simplify you can't give the whole picture, but there are ways to simplify that really end up losing good science in the process. 

Homeagain, thanks for the Noeo recommendation. I haven't looked at it.

I don’t really think you can leave origins out and keep accuracy. Christian programs also have other differences with accepted science beyond evolution, like plate techtonics, pretty much everything in the field of geology beyond rock identification, climate science, even some areas of math apparently... it’s not just one issue - it’s a whole different approach.

I still think the bigger question is other stuff. We’ve mostly pieced together our science for middle school, and have relied on a lot of individual books and movies. But some curriculum elements we’ve liked have included TOPS and Middle School Chemistry from ACS.

• Like 1

I realized in reading your answer that we have done lots of life science and some earth and that I am really looking for physics and chemistry.  In my experience, at least with high school Chemistry by Zumdahl and Physics by Knight, those two topics are pretty light on origins. I agree with you that theory of origins gives a totally different approach to more than one subject; earth science being one of the biggest.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll look at TOPS and Middle School Chemistry.