Menu

What's with the ads?

Dotwithaperiod

Who is more ridiculous?

I think applying to 20 colleges is over the top - but if the kid wants to do that much work, it's the kid's business. (and money.re: application fees, sat fees to send scores, transcripts, etc.).   the adults need chill pills.

colleges know not everyone they admit will actually start in the fall, so it's not like it's going to have that big an impact on their acceptance/start-rate. maybe the women are showing they don't understand the difference between accept and start rates.

• Like 3

Argh! They keep saying that he’s taking a spot from someone and causing people to be put on the waitlist. Duh. Once he says he’s not coming, the other kid gets in. It’s not that simple. Plenty of people with great qualifications don’t get in because they are exactly like each other. It’s not an algorithm. It’s way more complex than that.

• Like 2

It's hard for me to imagine someone being so bitter and mean.   I know it happens, obviously, but I just can't believe people like this exist and speak their ridiculous beliefs on national tv. 

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, onelittlemonkey said:

It's hard for me to imagine someone being so bitter and mean.   I know it happens, obviously, but I just can't believe people like this exist and speak their ridiculous beliefs on national tv. 

then imagine them being stupid and naive in not knowing how the process works.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, scholastica said:

Argh! They keep saying that he’s taking a spot from someone and causing people to be put on the waitlist. Duh. Once he says he’s not coming, the other kid gets in. It’s not that simple. Plenty of people with great qualifications don’t get in because they are exactly like each other. It’s not an algorithm. It’s way more complex than that.

there are so many who are accepted who dont' start, they always accept many more than will actually start.  (even harvard and standford accept more than start).   it may or may not even get to the wait list to get the enrollment numbers the school wants.  (so I would consider that irrelevant.)

at one school where dd was accepted -  we notified them she wasn't going (ostensibly so they could notify a wait listed student there was an opening) - they.  didn't. care.!

I didn't even click on it because it would piss me off. That kid is from the 3rd ward in Houston. If you know anything about that area what he's managed to accomplish is AMAZING. That's a tough area without a lot of the support you'll find in more affluent areas. It has been all over the news here for the last week- every affiliate has been applauding him. I don't know why people feel obliged to say anything else beyond GREAT WORK and kudos to him. 

• Like 21

2 minutes ago, texasmom33 said:

I didn't even click on it because it would piss me off. That kid is from the 3rd ward in Houston. If you know anything about that area what he's managed to accomplish is AMAZING. That's a tough area without a lot of the support you'll find in more affluent areas. It has been all over the news here for the last week- every affiliate has been applauding him. I don't know why people feel obliged to say anything else beyond GREAT WORK and kudos to him. 

This. Except for your last sentence— I have a pretty good idea why these people felt obliged to denigrate him.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

The adults in the video are obnoxious and ignorant and stupid.  Sounds like sour grapes.  (I would assume they meant the adults guiding the kid were the "obnoxious, ridiculous" ones, but still.)

I do think it is silly to make that many applications, but I don't actually care what other people do.  The young man set a high goal and worked hard to meet it.  I hope my kids can be half that focused on something at that age.  It doesn't really matter what.

• Like 3

The system is set up now to encourage you apply to many schools.  Schools love it when you apply because next year when their data comes out and it says 50,000 people applied for 2000 spots (for example) it will look more competitive than ever.   Sometimes when you aren't sure how financial aid is going to work out for you and you have an open mind about where you are going to attend, it pays to apply to more rather than less schools.  The common app has made it easier than ever to apply to many options.   These schools have a good sense of how many people that are accepted will accept their spots and they all maintain waiting lists.  It's actually pretty rare to get called off the waiting list for many schools because they have their yield so well calculated.  Like a school might know 80% of accepted students will accept their spot, so they may accept 15% over to get close to the desired number for a freshman class.  20 is a huge number, but that's not as high a number as I've heard.

The anchors just sound like idiots to me with no familiarity of the process.  Criticizing a obviously intelligent teenager who overcame extreme odds is really classy.  (where's my eyeroll emoji!?)

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

Don't schools still offer application fee waivers for students who need them?  If a kid is applying to Ivys and little Ivys it's pretty typical to apply to 20+.  Most of the applicants have the same qualifications, what varies is the personal story and how much drive and self-determination the individual has.  Sounds like this kid had plenty of both and will do amazing wherever he goes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, texasmom33 said:

This. 

This boy had to have worked his butt off and deserves every one of those acceptance letters. What an incredible accomplishment. 

• Like 7

Makes me just want to tear into those anchors and others. How downright mean. I hope that amazing young man doesn't hear of their petty and ignorant rant. I don't even know him but felt proud of him when I saw the news report!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

Makes me just want to tear into those anchors and others. How downright mean. I hope that amazing young man doesn't hear of their petty and ignorant rant. I don't even know him but felt proud of him when I saw the news report!

he can also learn about success is the best revenge - and he who laughs last, laughs loudest.

• Like 2

I couldn't watch the video though I know basically what they say. I just can't take another story where adults criticize teenagers for being responsible. 

• Like 11

I've never seen anything good, sweet, cute, generous, kind, joyful, or funny in this world that someone wasn't willing to come along and piss all over. There are people who take some kind of pleasure in finding the worst take on any possible situation.

• Like 3

I started to watch it and couldn't finish it.  Idiots.  By the way, they appeared to be local anchors, not that it really matters.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I couldn't watch the video though I know basically what they say. I just can't take another story where adults criticize teenagers for being responsible. 

This.   Times 1000.   

I am so disturbed by the way *some* adults treat teenagers who are trying to make good decisions with their life.  

A certain anchor of a certain news station went on ‘vacation’ this week for making fun of a teenager who was just a victim of horrendous violence because he didn’t get into a couple of colleges.   How sick in the head can you be?    Just fire these morons, already. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, onelittlemonkey said:

This.   Times 1000.   

I am so disturbed by the way *some* adults treat teenagers who are trying to make good decisions with their life.  

A certain anchor of a certain news station went on ‘vacation’ this week for making fun of a teenager who was just a victim of horrendous violence because he didn’t get into a couple of colleges.   How sick in the head can you be?    Just fire these morons, already. 

Just say who it is. It is Laura Ingraham.

I think she should NOT have said what she did.

But it is not so far fetched that a single mom with 3 children had already had a vacation planned around Easter and spring break.

I read about him in the New York Times. I can't watch something like this either. I would be tempted to think horrible thoughts about those people. What a disgusting, sick culture we live in, in which adults like that would have a public mouthpiece, funded by millions of dollars and broadcast to so many. 

I'm so happy for the kid. His scores are commendable. He sounds amazing.

• Like 6

Aren't you supposed to apply to lots of schools if the schools you pick are highly selective?  That makes sense to me, instead of applying to five schools and risking not getting into any.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unsinkable said:

Just say who it is. It is Laura Ingraham.

I think she should NOT have said what she did.

But it is not so far fetched that a single mom with 3 children had already had a vacation planned around Easter and spring break.

19 companies have also stopped advertising with her, so far.  Even if she's having a delightful family vacation, I'm glad to say there is some consequence to her employer's pocketbook.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Fox News Anchor? 'nuff said.

Just to clarify. It wasn't Fox News Anchors.  It was a local Fox Channel news show, not the cable news network.

• Thanks 1

I'm not going to click the link either, because I'm pretty sure I know exactly what they say, and their exact tone of voice while saying it.

Locally, I have had three conversations with some dried-up-biddies who voiced that same opinion about this young man. As if it's any of their concern why he applied to twenty schools!

Kid was smart-that's why he applied to so many. Being low income, the financial aid issue was an absolute need for him. A lot of those schools are not needs-blind in admissions. So, even though he has tippy-top stats, those stats were no guarantee in any fashion that any of these schools would both accept him AND offer him the financial aid package he needed. The fact that they all DID... is just a testament to his hard work all these years. Kudos to him. I'M proud of him, and I don't even know him! lol

I hope he goes on to do great things while at Standford, and after he graduates. (at least, I *think* I read that he had chosen Stanford?)

• Like 3