Menu

article: Perfect ACT or SAT scores

MarkT

There are a couple good take aways. 

It's not just about test scores.

A 36 isn't necessarily better than a 35 (or a 32). It goes in clumps or bands.

Competition for the most popular/elite schools is high because spots are limited. That competition takes a lot into account besides test scores.

There are hundreds of high quality schools with good programs.

I would add that you don't win at life because you get a sought after college acceptance  (or you kid did). That doesn't make you a better person.

I don't agree with the idea that *only* students *already* competing at national or international levels are accepted to the most selective schools.

• Like 8

Sebastian has some very good points there. The SAT and ACT scores are very important, but not the only thing the Admissions people look at. They are also looking for Diversity students. They might be looking for a Tuba player for their Band.  I watched a video on YouTube showing an Admissions Committee at Amherst.  I don't know if that's typical, but I suspect it is.  About 8 or 10 people sitting around a table.  Each person presented one applicant with a spiel that was approximately 60 seconds. Then, they voted to Accept or to Wait List or no go.  They know that's a cruel way to do it, but with the volume of applications they receive, they don't have a better way to do itt.

Edited by Lanny
spelling correction

DD got into top schools with merit aid with a 35 and she had two friends with perfect 36's that didn't get in to at least two of the schools.  I think they look at a bigger pic and a test score is just one piece of the puzzle.  DD had a well rounded resume with more strengths than just a test score and she wrote a beautiful essay.  Many of her college admissions counselors even made comment about how much they loved her essay.  She also had quite a portfolio of writing awards.