Menu

What's with the ads?

nopenope

Oak meadow blogs and reviews

I am trying to find blogs (or some other type of source) of people who have used Oak meadow for multiple years, especially though Middle School but really- anyone who's used it for a good while. With only two or three exceptions, everything I can find on my own is from families that have only used a grade or two, usually in the really young years.

So, hit me with any links you have, please! I've seen Nance from here and Only Passionate Curiosity.  People *use* OM! I know they do. But hardly anyone is talking about it on the internet. 

I asked on the OM fb page but linking blogs isn't allowed there. 

I do not have a blog but I use it in high school.  The sciences and literature are fairly good, in my opinion.  Not the most rigorous but good for a learner like mine.  The social sciences are very very heavily biased, so much so, that my dd refused to do some assignments and readings because she objected to them as "propaganda with a very liberal social justice bent".  (We are not the most conservative and tend to like curriculum that has a more neutral secular tone.)

• Like 1

We used their Latin course for two years.  It wasn't honors level, but it got the job done (meaning he was able to check off the foreign language box).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OKBud said:

I asked on the OM fb page but linking blogs isn't allowed there. 

That's a bit annoying. Would they consider opening a new doc just for this purpose?

6 hours ago, Pegs said:

That's a bit annoying. Would they consider opening a new doc just for this purpose?

They have one in the files section but it has three links, two of which are defunct. 

I have a friend who has all the levels K-8, so I've read what I wanted to read from it all and I am in LOVE with OM (upper elementary and up) right now. One of my kids is working on it right now, and he kept saying, "Oak Meadow is so friendly to me." <3 But you know how it is, I want to have as well-formed of an idea of it as we go along as possible... Plus my friend's copies are the really old ones (and the level I bought for my son is older too), so I'd really like to see newer ones in use.  Mostly, though, I just really want some perspective from people who've used older grades, and more than one of them, to get a feel for what they think is lacking, or what the strengths of it are. My two kids in school right now are very very different students but I am vibing on Oak Meadow for them for different reasons. So before I start dropping serious cash on it, I want to have a really clear idea of what I am getting into, like I do when I buy, for example, Rod and Staff English, or a Sonlight Core. 

Oak Meadow has been in business continuously since the seventies! People are clearly using it and loving it. It's the weirdest thing. I bet I could find a hundred different blogs discussing WTM or any CM based program in the next two minutes if I'd like.

There are some things on youtube, but mostly unboxing videos. Of course I have mined all the WTM posts from the past that I could find about it :) There were some pretty good ones from about 2010-2013 or so. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I do not have a blog but I use it in high school.  The sciences and literature are fairly good, in my opinion.  Not the most rigorous but good for a learner like mine.  The social sciences are very very heavily biased, so much so, that my dd refused to do some assignments and readings because she objected to them as "propaganda with a very liberal social justice bent".  (We are not the most conservative and tend to like curriculum that has a more neutral secular tone.)

This made me chuckle. Even just from reading K-8 I know what you mean. I don't care too much about these things as a rule (in either political direction) but my kids seem to be sensitive to it.... one will love this and one we'll have to wait-and-see haha. 

What are your thoughts on the assignments? on how the series progress? on what students have learned, and how they have learned, once they get to the end of the courses?  Do you or your kids feel compelled to add anything to what you're doing with OM?

6 minutes ago, OKBud said:

Oak Meadow has been in business continuously since the seventies! People are clearly using it and loving it. It's the weirdest thing. I bet I could find a hundred different blogs discussing WTM or any CM based program in the next two minutes if I'd like.

I think people who use a packaged curriculum (or most of one) tend not to blog as much about it. They have chosen a path and then they do it. Not like the CM-ers and WTM-ers who want to reinvent everything from the ground up...

Interested to listen in. 

Emily

1 hour ago, EmilyGF said:

I think people who use a packaged curriculum (or most of one) tend not to blog as much about it. They have chosen a path and then they do it. Not like the CM-ers and WTM-ers who want to reinvent everything from the ground up...

Interested to listen in. 

Emily

I agree!!

Oops, sorry, I skipped over you listing her, in my mind its nancextoo, so I skipped over you saying it LOL. I just realized I've been on here for about 7 years.....it's making me feel old when people like Nance whose posts you awed over have wandered elsewhere without you knowing lol.

There is the Oak Meadow Families group and a number of subgroups on Facebook, if that helps (providing you haven't already mentioned that) and one of the yahoo groups (or maybe two?) are still there to rifle through. 

It's rather late here, so I'm not as elegant in my speech as I would like ;)

• Like 1

I read this blog a few years ago. http://beautythatmoves.typepad.com/

She is hindu and homeschooled an only child who I believe is in high school now. It may take some digging in her archives or creative search terms but I know she used Oak Meadow after her daughter's Montessori school wrapped up around middle school and did a lot of writing about it. 

I wonder if there are so few Oak Meadow blogs because it tends to go along with a fairly "unplugged" lifestyle. Most of the bloggers I know who have used Oak Meadow at all (see Ginny Sheller's Small Things and SouleMama) don't talk about it in detail much but tend to blog more about the rhythm of family life, handcrafts, farm life.

• Like 1