Menu

how many years of history do most colleges require?

Basically that is my question.  This year's history has  been quite lame and I am wondering what would happen if we just didn't count this year's history studies..or combined them with next years for one credit.  The one college my daughter is strongly considering only requires 3 years...but I didn't know if that was sort the norm or not. 

Everywhere my dd is looking which covers state schools as well as private, all say 3.  I've only seen more at Ivies.  She has evaluated the requirements of about a dozen schools so far?  The only common thing we see: 1 year US history, 1 semester of US Govt.  One school specifically called out World History.  The rest appeared to leave it pretty open as to how the other credit and a half are filled.  She skipped geography freshman year because an incredible course opportunity popped up.  We have no intention of making it up and she will graduate with 3 full credits of history (1 world, 1 us, 0.5 govt, 0.5 econ).  HTH.

And the best advice is to check a handful of schools that are even possibilities for your student to be safe.

History proper or Social Sciences?  

I usually see 3 years Social Sciences with one year having to be US History.

Dd will have US and one World History, Psych, and both Macro and Micro Econ.  

Our state doesn't require a specific US Govt or Civics, which I see as a 1/2 credit requirement a lot of other places...

I assume you mean requirements for admission to college as a freshman?

The universities I've looked at tend to require 3 credits of Social Studies (also called "Social Sciences"), and require that 1 credit be American History, and 1 credit be World History and/or Geography. Some also require 0.5 credit each of Gov't and Econ. Most colleges are very flexible, and also accept Anthropology, Archeology, Geography, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, etc. as Social Studies credits.

• Like 1

I have seen 3 and 4, but mostly 3. Some care what they are (US History and Government most common). Dd is not going to have a full credit of World History (and may end with none), but none of the colleges she's considering specify World. (We checked.)