Menu

DIVE Science for AP Chem Prep: Success or Not Success for your student?

If your student used DIVE Chemistry, was the student prepared to take the AP Chem exam without additional outside study?  If your comfortable sharing, what did they score?  My student wants to take the AP Chem exam next year but will need a 4 or 5 to place out of engineering chem at the schools she is looking at.  We are debating between ChemAdvantage with the high price tag (yeah, i know, cheaper than college tuition) or DIVE Chemistry.  Thoughts?  Experience?  TIA.

My dd used DIVE for Chemistry. I wouldn't have even considered signing her up for the AP Chem exam. It was a solid on-level course, but not at all equivalent to an AP course. I'm really bothered by on-level courses like DIVE saying that they prep students for AP exams. I think your student would have to do a lot of outside work to be prepared.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mom22ns said:

My dd used DIVE for Chemistry. I would have even considered signing her up for the AP Chem exam. It was a solid on-level course, but not at all equivalent to an AP course. I'm really bothered by on-level courses like DIVE saying that they prep students for AP exams. I think your student would have to do a lot of outside work to be prepared.

Thank you!  That settles that. 

On 4/4/2018 at 12:44 PM, Mom22ns said:

My dd used DIVE for Chemistry. I wouldn't have even considered signing her up for the AP Chem exam. It was a solid on-level course, but not at all equivalent to an AP course. I'm really bothered by on-level courses like DIVE saying that they prep students for AP exams. I think your student would have to do a lot of outside work to be prepared.

Yes, just wanted to be another voice  of agreement.  I have used DIVE chemistry, and also done AP chemistry, and there is no way on God's green earth a student is prepared fr AP chem just using DIVE.  It is a solid regular chemistry class, and if a student uses DIVE faithfully, they would have a good foundation for AP chem.  

• Like 1