Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW14: April backpacking coast to Coast

Robin M

6 hours ago, The Accidental Coach said:

After three tries with IT support, I'm in.

Not much reading the past two weeks. My buying ban ended this morning due to the early morning purchase of an audible book to listen to on the highway as I traveled to Chicago to see my husband who was admitted for a possible heart attack.

We're here in the hospital waiting for test results. It's been an emotional 18 hours.

5 hours ago, The Accidental Coach said:

He's hooked up to monitors and is tired. He was at work  and I think that exacerbated the situation. Union reps and mid level managers have been in and out and calling. Not asking about how he's doing but inquiring about diagnoses and legalities. I'm quite perturbed.

Hugs and good thoughts winging your way!

• Like 5

On 4/3/2018 at 1:11 PM, Robin M said:

We love Wallace and Gromit and have all the movies. A couple years back we even ordered some wensleydale cheese.  Guess it's an acquired taste because it was absolutely awful.  LOL!  We also enjoyed Park's Shaun the Sheep! 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Robin M said:

We love Wallace and Gromit and have all the movies. A couple years back we even ordered some wensleydale cheese.  Guess it's an acquired taste because it was absolutely awful.  LOL!  We also enjoyed Park's Shaun the Sheep! 

Lol!  Wensleydale cheese is definitely an acquired taste.   I can totally understand.  I enjoy it occasionally and prefer it with dried cranberries.  When DS was little he ate lots of Wensleydale because of Wallace.  I bought it for him constantly.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Q: How many new to you authors have you read so far this year?  

1 - Kate Andersen Brower (The Residence)
2 - Arthur Miller (The Crucible)
3 - Kazuo Ishiguro (Never Let Me Go)
4 - Ying Chang Compestine (Revolution is not a Dinner Party)
5 - Kate Morton (The Secret Keeper)
6 - Yangsze Choo (The Ghost Bride)
7 - Dave Eggers (You Shall Know Our Velocity)
8 - The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Agatha Christie)
9 - Natasha Preston (Silence)
10 - Ira Levin (Rosemary's Baby)
11 - Meik Wiking (The Little Book of Hygge)
12 - Kevin Kwan (Crazy Rich Asians)
13 - Theodore Sturgeon (Venus Plus X)
14 - Janice Y.K. Lee (The Expatriates)
15 - Gabriel Tallent (My Absolute Darling)

So far.  :P

• Like 10

16 hours ago, The Accidental Coach said:

Not much reading the past two weeks. My buying ban ended this morning due to the early morning purchase of an audible book to listen to on the highway as I traveled to Chicago to see my husband who was admitted for a possible heart attack.

We're here in the hospital waiting for test results. It's been an emotional 18 hours.

Oh, I am so sorry!  How is he doing today?  And how are you doing?  

• Like 6

16 hours ago, The Accidental Coach said:

I'm sorry; how stressful. I hope you have more sympathetic support available.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, The Accidental Coach said:

Thinking of you and your husband - hope that things are looking better today and you are not being harassed by people.

• Like 5

Woohoo, we're back. I will go back and read the thread in a bit. 

To answer Tuesday's question, I have read 18 new authors this year so far. 

I'm reading Gail Carriger's The Parasol Protectorate series and they are a lot of fun. I did not expect to like the first book, but I did so I am enjoying the rest of series. 

I read Stardust for the first time. I liked it, but it's not my favorite Gaiman book. Personally, I love his short stories best. As for his novels, I love The Graveyard Book and The Ocean at the End of the Lane. 

I also finished Eleanor Roosevelt's Book of Common Sense Etiquette. A lot of it is outdated, but the basics of etiquette never go out of date. 

I also finished Bill Bryson's Mother English. Very fun and interesting. 

At the moment, I am reading Pigs Have Wings because I can never have too much Wodehouse in my life. I'm supposed to be reading Middlemarch but I admit that I have been swept away in the fun of Carriger's series I mentioned above. Sadly, Middlemarch sits next to my bed taunting me. I can hear the spirits of high literature tsk-tsking when I grab a book about a smoldering werewolf in lieu of Eliot's classic. 

• Like 11

14 out of my 30 books to date were by new-to-me writers.

Eugène Sue, Jeremias Gottholf, Muriel Spark, Jean Giono, Abbé Théodore Ratisbonne, Tove Jansson, Irène Nemirovsky, George Gissing, C. P. Snow, Elisabeth Gille, Urban Holmes, Nathanael West, Gregor von Rezzori, and Erich Maria Remarque.

This is what happens when you set literary foot out of the anglosphere.

• Like 9

On 4/3/2018 at 10:44 PM, JennyD said:

Finally, I started reading Roxane Gay's book of essays, Bad Feminist, only to put it down again because it is all about movies, books, and songs with which I'm totally unfamiliar.  I like her perspective but I just had no idea what she was talking about in many of the essays, so I eventually gave up and returned it to the library.

It gets better so my recommendation is to keep going. She does not just talk about current pop culture. 

23 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

and the political reform stuff mostly goes over my head).

I seem to have deleted most of your post I was trying to quote. I wanted to say about Middlemarch is you convince me that I will like the book as we have such similar tastes. I just keep getting distracted by other books. ;) 

21 hours ago, The Accidental Coach said:

So sorry. I hope all the tests come back with good news.

21 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I need to get out more. Out of my comfort zone that is. Actually that's why I like book clubs and groups, both online and in person. Connecting with other readers helps me find books I like in the genres I like, but it also helps me find books I would probably never have found on my own and in genres I might not have considered.

• Like 6

Just relieved dd is safe back home from her first solo traintrip from probably future College (Netherlands) to home (Belgium). There went a lot wrong during the journey, she handled and solved everything well, had a great time at her - what would this study look like for high schoolstudents - tour. She had several colleges, a practicum and a campus tour. We went to an open door day last fall together, but this was really for students only. She spend the night with family and travelled today homewards. I think I can sleep tonight :)

• Like 13

7 hours ago, Mom-ninja. said:

Seems I'm having trouble with multiquote. Lady Florida, I wanted to ask if you've read Jonathan Stroud's Lockwood & Co. series? I think you'd like that series. That would be branching out but in a genre you enjoy. 

I haven't but thanks for the recommendation. I'll take a look at the series.

• Like 5

Many of my books this year so far are due to starting a series of a new to me author the end of last year and then another this year -- so ended up about half and half :

Fiction -11 books by 5 new to me authors and 10 by  6 authors I'd read before (no rereads which is extremely unusual)

Nalini Singh, Loic Dauvillier, Kate Danley, Jim Hines, Marjorie Liu, 

+ 3 books not sure (I think I read 1 of her books ~30 years ago or so) -- Barbara Hambly

Non-fiction -- 5 books by an author new to me and 3 by an author I'd read before (1 of which was a reread)

Tim Larken, Christopher Payne, Elisabeth Bailey, John Duffy, Robb Wolf

• Like 7

I finished Inspector Brunetti #7 - A Noble Radiance. I'm going to take a break from this series for a while. I need police procedurals/detective novels where the bad guys get caught and punished. What's interesting is the other Italian police procedural series I've been reading takes place in Sicily yet most of the time the criminals are caught and punished. Brunetti is set in Venice and he's always complaining about the police corruption in the south. Yet in his northern district corruption often lets them get off. The Inspector Brunetti series is written by an American who lived in Venice for many years. The Sicilian series (Inspector Montalbano) is written by a Sicilian. 

After typing that last sentence a Princess Bride quote is now running through my head - "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line" :D

ETA: I can finally turn the wifi on my Kindle on to download some other books. I had two library books whose loan ended and A Noble Radiance was the second of the two

• Like 11

PSA - Never forget your book when you go to the Apple store to get your (insert numerous cuss words here) iPhone fixed. It was a horrible experience and I could have finished two books in the amount of time I spent waiting.

Does anyone here keep an emergency back up book in their car or purse?

• Like 11

37 minutes ago, aggieamy said:

PSA - Never forget your book when you go to the Apple store to get your (insert numerous cuss words here) iPhone fixed. It was a horrible experience and I could have finished two books in the amount of time I spent waiting.

Horrors!  prior to a smartphone, I  carried a book around ALL the time, but now I am fully reliant on my electronic library that just happens to also take phone calls LOL     

• Like 11

9 hours ago, aggieamy said:

Ugh. Sorry about that. My Kindle goes everywhere with me, even if I don't think I'll be in a situation where I can read. Worst case scenario I download one of my books to the Kindle app on my phone. That's usually not necessary though because my Paperwhite fits nicely in my purse, even in its case.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, aggieamy said:

59 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Ugh. Sorry about that. My Kindle goes everywhere with me, even if I don't think I'll be in a situation where I can read. Worst case scenario I download one of my books to the Kindle app on my phone. That's usually not necessary though because my Paperwhite fits nicely in my purse, even in its case.

I pretty much always have a Kindle with me.  Occasionally I leave the Kindle in the car.........

13 hours ago, Kareni said:

I have tried all the series on the British Cozy list except for the one set in Ireland (yep, Ireland) which isn’t available at a library.

• Like 7

This morning I finished James M. Cain's 1930s noir classic, The Postman Always Rings Twice. After years of believing I disliked all forms of genre fiction, I discovered -  being reduced, having nothing else at all available, to reading The Big Sleep - that I like crime fiction, at least of a noirish cast. Cain didn't disappoint. Soon I need to read They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Classic first line: "They threw me off the hay truck about noon."

Last week I read Faulkner's Wild Palms, actually two distinct novellas, alternating chapters, with absolutely nothing in common (time, place, style, themes). The eponymous novella is pretty noirish for Faulkner, and while the other one (Old Man) is the one that gets anthologized, I think Wild Palms is underappreciated. 

Also finished the Victorian feminist novel The Half Sisters, by Geraldine Jewsbury, which was readable but could have been improved by not having the characters pontificate lengthily at each other quite so much. Such are the perils of Message literature. Anyhow the first five chapters, and the last, are set in a town just outside Newcastle, so that's good enough for Tyne and Wear, I trust.

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

This morning I finished James M. Cain's 1930s noir classic, The Postman Always Rings Twice. After years of believing I disliked all forms of genre fiction, I discovered -  being reduced, having nothing else at all available, to reading The Big Sleep - that I like crime fiction, at least of a noirish cast. Cain didn't disappoint. Soon I need to read They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Classic first line: "They threw me off the hay truck about noon."

Last week I read Faulkner's Wild Palms, actually two distinct novellas, alternating chapters, with absolutely nothing in common (time, place, style, themes). The eponymous novella is pretty noirish for Faulkner, and while the other one (Old Man) is the one that gets anthologized, I think Wild Palms is underappreciated. 

Also finished the Victorian feminist novel The Half Sisters, by Geraldine Jewsbury, which was readable but could have been improved by not having the characters pontificate lengthily at each other quite so much. Such are the perils of Message literature. Anyhow the first five chapters, and the last, are set in a town just outside Newcastle, so that's good enough for Tyne and Wear, I trust.

Sounds great for Tyne and Wear.  I know there are books out there set in Sunderland because I have read some and noticed because of our friend who moved there.  The only problem is I can’t identify them now when I really want to.  

• Like 8

On a reading related topic, has anyone been having problems when they add a new book to Goodreads?

For the last week, every book I add to my list of books I've read has automatically had a second Date Read line added, which is blank.  This messes up a few things, not the least of which is when I want to organize books in certain ways.  I can go in and delete it, but it's a bit of a convoluted process and I'd rather not have to add a new book, then go back and edit something I hadn't added in the first place.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

Sounds great for Tyne and Wear.  I know there are books out there set in Sunderland because I have read some and noticed because of our friend who moved there.  The only problem is I can’t identify them now when I really want to.  

Wikipedia says a book called The Dress Lodger is set in Sunderland, if that helps.

Oh, for bonus local points, a minor character in The Half Sisters tries to drown herself in the Tyne.

• Like 6

From Tor. com ~

This month's FREE book is Martha Wells' All Systems Red.  This is a book I read and enjoyed.

Tor.com’s eBook of the Month Club

"On a distant planet, a team of scientists are conducting surface tests, shadowed by their Company-supplied ‘droid — a self-aware SecUnit that has hacked its own governor module, and refers to itself (though never out loud) as “Murderbot.” Scornful of humans, all it really wants is to be left alone long enough to figure out who it is.

But when a neighboring mission goes dark, it’s up to the scientists and their Murderbot to get to the truth.

Available from April 6th to April 9th. Download before 11:59 PM ET April 9th, 2018"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

I read Rose Cottage by Mary Stewart last month, which takes place in Durham county. On multiple occasions when the main character was inquiring as to the whereabouts of a secondary character, she was told that so-and-so was in Sunderland, and would be returning shortly. It finally got to the point where I found myself instructing the main character to visit Sunderland to look for them herself so that I could check off Tyne and Wear, but she never did. I should have enough fictional England books to use for my T and W requirement.

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, Raifta said:

On a reading related topic, has anyone been having problems when they add a new book to Goodreads?

For the last week, every book I add to my list of books I've read has automatically had a second Date Read line added, which is blank.  This messes up a few things, not the least of which is when I want to organize books in certain ways.  I can go in and delete it, but it's a bit of a convoluted process and I'd rather not have to add a new book, then go back and edit something I hadn't added in the first place.

Is this happening via the web interface or on a mobile app?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Raifta said:

It’s happening to me also.  FWIW, I am adding them on my iPad but I don’t use the app to my knowledge.  Going in via my bookmark.....

The humorous thing was I lost my second read on what was actually a reread!  That was me trying to be too clever but still.......

• Like 3

I continued on with T. Hammond's Team Red series and have now read

Color Blind (Team Red, #2)

Blind Faith (Team Red, #3)

Blind Rage (Team Red, #4)

Blind-sided (Team Red, #5)

Blind Luck (Team Red, #6)

This is a series that should definitely be read in order; I suspect I'll be re-reading this series.  The first volume is currently free to Kindle readers.  (Significant adult content.)

Blind Seduction: Team Red, Book 1  by T. Hammond

The author has also re-written the series with younger characters in a PG version.  Here's a link to the first book in that series: Red Rover (Team Red - Red Version Book 1).

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Since at least a few of my fellow BaWer’s share my love for reading books set in Tudor England I am sharing an article about a little know historical figure who keeps appearing in my stack.  I don’t really remember knowing much about her beyond her existence until my latest trip through the Tudors.  She seems to be a character in everything I pick up to read lately!  https://www.spectator.co.uk/2010/04/a-tudor-mystery-unravels/

For those of you who don’t want to click I am talking about Lady Mary Grey, the youngest sister of Jane, who was crookbacked and basically ignored. Part of Elizabeth 1’s court and tolerated but not liked.  Here is the interesting forgotten bit she was technically next in line.  Her children if she had been allowed to marry would have been heirs to the throne.

• Like 5

An enjoyable post that isn't really bookish (but who cares!) ~

RedHeadedGirl’s Historical Kitchen: Golden Syrup Steamed Sponge

"When I was in London last fall, I had dinner at Rules Restaurant, in Covent Garden. Rules claims to the be the “Oldest Restaurant in London” (established in 1798) and that might be true, depending on how you’re defining terms like “oldest” and “restaurant” and probably “London.” The decor is very Edwardian, and several scenes from the later seasons of Downton Abbey were shot there. The food is focused on “classic game cookery.” I had pheasant, which was delicious.

(Hilariously, after I ate the pheasant breasts with my knife and fork like a goddamn lady, I poked the legs with my knife, and then shrugged, picked up the leg to delicately nibble it from the bone, and then the waiter swooped in immediately with a finger bowl of water with lemons in it to rinse my hands when I was done. Like, he was WAITING for me to use my hands. Either I did the right thing, or he pegged me as an American barbarian. I’m good with either interpretation.)..."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Kareni said:

"When I was in London last fall, I had dinner at Rules Restaurant, in Covent Garden. Rules claims to the be the “Oldest Restaurant in London” (established in 1798) and that might be true, depending on how you’re defining terms like “oldest” and “restaurant” and probably “London.” The decor is very Edwardian, and several scenes from the later seasons of Downton Abbey were shot there. The food is focused on “classic game cookery.” I had pheasant, which was delicious.

(Hilariously, after I ate the pheasant breasts with my knife and fork like a goddamn lady, I poked the legs with my knife, and then shrugged, picked up the leg to delicately nibble it from the bone, and then the waiter swooped in immediately with a finger bowl of water with lemons in it to rinse my hands when I was done. Like, he was WAITING for me to use my hands. Either I did the right thing, or he pegged me as an American barbarian. I’m good with either interpretation.)..."

Regards,

Kareni

What a fun article. And this recipe looks great.

Funny quote:

Golden Syrup is a product of the sugar refining process. It’s kiiiiiiiiiinda like corn syrup in the US, only it’s made from actual sugar and not government subsidies. It’s very thick, and has a slightly caramel-y, nutty flavor.

Question for BaW IP gals (Sandy and Kathy ... anyone else?)  - Could I make this in an instant pot? Thoughts?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Brit Trippers - Just finished my Yorkshire read. The Old Fox Deceiv'd by Martha Grimes. The setting was very Yorkshire-y (specifically a coast town like Whitby) in it which was fun. Overall it was a *** book. I'd read another of her books. It's also fun that they're written in the 80's so there's a bit of nostalgia there too. 

p02kvzjy.jpg

Picture courtesy of BBC.com and Mike Atkinson.

• Like 7

On 4/5/2018 at 8:24 PM, aggieamy said:

I haven't been but I will now.  I used to carry my ipad everywhere but figured since I could read the same thing on my phone, why bother.  Think I'll throw a couple books in the trunk for emergencies.

animations of eyess

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aggieamy said:

What a fun article. And this recipe looks great.

Funny quote:

Question for BaW IP gals (Sandy and Kathy ... anyone else?)  - Could I make this in an instant pot? Thoughts?

9 hours ago, Kareni said:

Regards,

Kareni

Amy, I love my instant pot but I use it for rice, potatoes, and beans mainly.  I have read most of the IP cookbooks and I think you probably could steam the sponge in it but no personal experience.  This is being said by the person who watches her friend steam lovely sponges but has never tried it.  

Personally I would go with a sticky toffee pudding. Lots of variations and you don’t have to steam.  I found an easy recipe that doesn’t need Golden Syrup from Nigella.    Sticky Toffee pudding is wonderful! https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/easy-sticky-toffee-dessert-recipe-2203727

Edited by mumto2
Add link
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, aggieamy said:

I would hesitate to say either way. I haven't learned to adapt recipes for the IP. I only use recipes written for and tested in the IP. I wouldn't want to be the reason you ruin you pot!

• Like 2