Menu

Master Bathroom Sink Poll

extendedforecast

Master Bathroom Sink Preference  

66 members have voted

1. 1. If you were remodeling your bathroom, what type of sink would you prefer to use in your master bathroom?

• Under mount sink
    • Above mount sink (like a bowl sitting on the counter)
    • Drop in sink
    • Other
  2. 2. This home will go on the market after rehab. What type of sink would you choose knowing this information?

• Under mount - my vote stays the same
    • Under mount - my vote changed
    • Above mount - my vote stayed the same
    • Above mount - my vote changed
    • Drop in - my vote stayed the same
    • Drop in - my vote changed

I'd actually be okay with drop in as well as the under mount.  We're house hunting right now.  Both my husband and I agreed - we won't even consider a house with those bowl on the counter sinks.  We both hate that trend, and we don't want to have to replace something right away in a newly purchased home.

• Like 2

I voted under mount sink. That is what we just got in a master bath remodel and I love it.  

The above mount sinks look cool on home improvement shows, but I always wondered how you would clean where the sink meets the counter. Seemed like it would be a pain. 

• Like 2

The master at the house we're looking at has the worst sink ever.  One above mount bowl sitting on a cabinet that is no larger in dimensions than the bowl up above.  There is no place at all to set even a hairbrush or tube of toothpaste.  I can't even fathom why they thought it was a good idea!

So I voted drop in.  Anything would be better than the above mount bowl.

• Like 2

I personally hate "bowl" sinks.   they're a pain to clean around them, and they take away from counter space.  My dd bought a house with glass bowl sinks.  her dh is a clean freak and is cleaning them every day.  those sinks were immediately put on their "things to be replaced list".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hate the above mount - I think they are called "vessel" sinks.  They look weird IMO, most of the time, and also many are tricky to clean and sometimes they chip.  Once I saw one I liked, in a very unusual house.

Any of the others could be fine, it would depend a lot on the room.  The under-mount ones I find look best with a more modern streamlined decor.

• Like 1

Undermount is the easiest to keep clean - you just wipe the dust/hair/whoknowswhat into the sink.  This is not only nice to buyers, it's nice to mothers who do a quick clean with a clorox wipe before every house showing.

• Like 2

I like undermount, that is what we have now. We have a granite countertop and it's easy to clean up messes. In our former home we had a pedestal with small ledge. I loved that and it was fitting for the house and size of the bathroom. The undermount, however, is my new choice for every sink. No more crumbs by a lip, no more caulking to deal with, it's great. 

• Like 1

Thank you for voting and for stating the reasons for your vote. I feel exactly as y’all feel. I think they’re impractical in a master bathroom. I could see installing one in a half bath. Or maybe in a master bathroom with two separate vanities, I’d put an under mount sink for the woman and an above mount sink for the man. I think it could come in handy for shaving? 

I agree with impractical (re: those bowl above mount things).

At first I thought too that any which way wouldn't really be a deal breaker for me, but I suspect those bowl sink things would be problematic for midgets...cuz I'm just a tall midget.  So I don't like the idea at all.

Not even sure how this would be better for shaving, but I don't shave my face so...

I had to google because I don't know enough about the different styles to know.  I voted under mount because that's closest to what we have (ours is actually just one piece for the counter and sink) but I could work with the drop in.  The above mounts are awful.  While I can't say I'd reject an entire house based on the sinks, everything else would have to be absolutely perfect to overlook that negative aspect.

On 4/3/2018 at 7:33 PM, Katy said:

Undermount is the easiest to keep clean - you just wipe the dust/hair/whoknowswhat into the sink.  This is not only nice to buyers, it's nice to mothers who do a quick clean with a clorox wipe before every house showing.

This is my thinking. I have one of those stupid pedestal sinks in the bathroom here, and it's horrible. My friend has a vessel sink with a waterfall faucet in the guest suite at her house, and while it's gorgeous and makes me feel very fancy when I wash my hands, it must be a nightmare to keep clean.

I had to vote "other," because it depends on what the whole thing looks like.

We remodeled a guest bathroom, and put a large, rectangular vessel sink in the vanity. We remodeled the master bath and bought a vanity with double under-mounted sinks. I'd like to remodel another bathroom by taking out the cultured marble sink/vanity and replacing it with a big piece of granite and a vessel sink.

So it just depends.