Menu

Memoria Press- secular materials now available!

Disclaimer-I don't work for or receive anything from Memoria Press.

That said, I enjoy using their materials and thus far have secularized them myself. I just found out that they started a charter school page and will customize a secular core for you if you call them.

I just ordered our new latin stuff from this page and am so excited about trying them out. https://charter.memoriapress.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

This is very cool! I'm excited to see the Core Curriculum Packages. 

I've eyeballed MP in the past, and have used bits and pieces of their stuff and liked what I've used so far. I am glad to see that they're responding to the growing number of secular homeschoolers looking for just this kind of thing. 

I ordered Grammar School Latin and just ripped the box open. As I'm looking it over they took out memorizing religious phrases and changed up some of the vocab. We're going to speed through it from now till Fall when I hope to start first form. I'm just giddy about not having to secularize it all myself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Another Jen said:

I ordered Grammar School Latin and just ripped the box open. As I'm looking it over they took out memorizing religious phrases and changed up some of the vocab. We're going to speed through it from now till Fall when I hope to start first form. I'm just giddy about not having to secularize it all myself.

Do you know if Grammar School Latin is meant to be done during one school year? I was skimming through the information on the website and it mentioned 25 lessons, which seems shorter than a year. I was just curious how long it's supposed to take, in general. 

I think they mean for it to take a year for kids ages 2-4th grades. There are also review weeks built in that stretch it out to 32 weeks? Highlands Latin school runs about that length and the materials are based on those they use at that school. We are starting now and will probably do 2 lessons a week and go into First Form when we're done. We also school year round so its no big deal to start now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vintage81 said:

Do you know if Grammar School Latin is meant to be done during one school year? I was skimming through the information on the website and it mentioned 25 lessons, which seems shorter than a year. I was just curious how long it's supposed to take, in general. 

I just asked about this on the MP forums and hope to know more soon!  The book is meant for one year.  The program on which it is based does groups of 5 lessons of new material, followed by one review lesson.  So you get 30-ish weeks of work a year, with either a new lesson or a review each week.  I don't know if the reviews are omitted or simply not tallied, and will try to report here if I find out. 

OP: thank you for this news!  Can't believe I didn't know about it -- we use a lot of MP, and would be very happy to switch our Latin for a secular version -- thanks again!

• Like 2

I started a Facebook group this morning where we can all talk Secular Ed- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1392201754219831/?ref=br_rs

"Are you religious, but homeschooling on a secular basis? Are you classically homeschooling, and willing to use materials that are not 100% religion-free? Are you non-Protestant, but interested in using some classical materials with a whiff of Protestantism? Welcome to the club!"
GROUP TYPE

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:18 PM, serendipitous journey said:

I just asked about this on the MP forums and hope to know more soon!  The book is meant for one year.  The program on which it is based does groups of 5 lessons of new material, followed by one review lesson.  So you get 30-ish weeks of work a year, with either a new lesson or a review each week.  I don't know if the reviews are omitted or simply not tallied, and will try to report here if I find out. 

OP: thank you for this news!  Can't believe I didn't know about it -- we use a lot of MP, and would be very happy to switch our Latin for a secular version -- thanks again!

And in the lesson plans for (Prima and Latina) they will often add 3 weeks of cumulative review to take the course to 33 weeks (these weeks are in addition to the 5 unit reviews in the book). 

• Like 2

The Grammar School Latin books do have 30 weeks of work in them.  Then "Latin Review Games" are suggested for the remainder of the year, although I can't find any suggested games in the materials.  Never been a problem here: we are old school, and Latin review is oral drill.

I don't see Lesson Plans (for Grammar School Latin -- plans are available for the Form series) or grade level suggestions on the charter page yet, so thought I'd give the alignment to MP's traditional Latin.  You could use the traditional lesson plans easily with the charter versions.

1. Introduction to Grammar School Latin
    1. = MP's Prima Latina  
    2. 2nd grade Latin program in MP's curriculum lineup.  Child needs to be writing.  Many, many homeschoolers only do part of the writing at the beginning of the year and gradually work up to the whole shebang. 
    3. lesson plans are here, scroll down to Prima Latina and select digital or print.
  2. Grammar School Latin
    1.  = MP's Latina Christiana
    2. 3rd and 4th grade Latin program (spread over 2 years) in MP's core curriculum lineup, 3rd grade in MP's accelerated/original curriculum (before 3rd grade MP has only one track). 
    3. lesson plans are here, scroll down to Latina Christiana.
      1. Select either 1 year pace or 2 year pace
      2. Select digital or print.
    4. Note that Grammar School Latin has several enrichment books, which are strongly suggested.  The Games & Puzzles book and the Review Worksheet book are scheduled in the plans, so having this with their keys is useful.  The Games & Puzzles book can be frustrating to young students, I think it's helpful to have the answer key on hand and use it to provide "word banks" (which you can just write into the student book) for some of the games.

For a neurotypical child 4th - 6th with no Latin, Latina Christiana is a good beginning.  An academically-inclined child with some Latin and grammar under her belt could do First Form in 4th or up without undue stress.   Note that Third Form is very demanding so you may wish to consider this when deciding where to start and how quickly to progress.  Until we began using the MP Online Academy, we did flexible scheduling, basically 1 page of the Latin workbook every day OR the DVD lesson, plus daily recitations, 6 days/week year-round. 

• Like 2