Menu

Pics of my remodeled kitchen!

StaceyinLA

We are in the process of a huge remodel, as in pretty much our entire house. I think this and the hall bath will be the biggest transformations and I wanted to share.

I’m not really good at things like decorating, picking out stuff, coordinating things, etc., but I am really pleased with how this came out. I can’t “see” things ahead of time like some can, so I was happy my vision turned out how I was hoping.

P.S. I painted the cabinets myself with Miss Mustard Seed milk paint in shutter gray. I LOVE how they came out, but I will say tackling cabinets (even though I don’t have a bunch of them) probably wasn’t a great plan for a first painting project. ;-p

Oh, and I am still planning to paint the base of the island. I want it to be a fun color! I just came across it at an antique store and loved the overall size and look of it.

E8DC04C1-3C14-4D70-893A-03E4D437E779.png

0F08D8A5-F43D-414E-8DC1-B6183C379014.png

CBFCD215-B569-48C5-B7AA-DC230F655A6A.png

B694486A-5F9E-4608-A73B-C6244B51B0DB.png

• Like 30

I’m thinking of going with a deep orange, just because I want a pop of color, but it’s something I can easily change later if I get tired of it. I also love the way orange looks with that particular blue and with the browns. I found a really great rug for my den area that has the blue/gray from the cabinets, along with some flecks of orange, deep red, and other colors, all in a natural background. I can’t put it out yet because we are not finished with the downstairs, but I think it will really tie it all together when I do.

Oh, and I’m not sure what tile you’re talking about because we don’t have tile anywhere at this point. My husband has done almost everything. It really pays (or saves) to have a husband who is handy! We did have someone build our cabinets just because he didn’t really want to take the time, and a young guy I planned a Disney trip for builds cabinets on the side. We also had granite people put that in. For the most part, he’s done everything else. He’s a licenses electrician by trade, but he and his brother co-own a control systems business now. He LOVES doing this kind of stuff, which is really great for me!

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

You have talent for this!  Come do my house please. 

IT is so pretty. 

Did you guys move the stairway too? 

We did! The stairs have been a bone of contention for me ever since we bought the house. We moved them to where they go straight down behind the wall. They are a little steeper than normal, but we don't have little kids that need to go up there regularly, so we will just have a cute gate at the bottom for blocking grandbabies from climbing.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, mellifera33 said:

It looks great! Did you knock out the pony wall? I have the same problem--I can't "see" a picture of changes in my mind's eye. It makes remodeling interesting. lol

Not sure what you mean by the pony wall, but we likely took it out. It's all a big, open space now, and I LOVE it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Is your dh a contractor?   So amazing that you can do that kind of stuff.  I had no clue you could move stairs.  

He is not officially, but there's really not much he can't do when it comes to this type of stuff. He's a licensed electrician, but they own a computer control system business (he and his brother). This is something he's just always liked to do.

Honestly, we wouldn't have been able to do half of what we've done if we'd have had to pay people to do the labor. We have a 2-story, 2000 sq ft, 5 bdrm house with 2 baths. We will ultimately have changed all the flooring, painted everything, changed every door, door facing, rerouted and rebuilt the staircase, changed every piece of trim as well as trimming out all the windows and putting crown molding and new baseboards in the entire house, changed all fans and fixtures, gotten new cabinets, granite countertops and appliances (probably the most expensive purchase we've had overall because I wanted Kitchen Aid), bought the island (which was a good bit cheaper than if we would've built one), and gutted and redone the bathrooms and we will have spent about 33K. And it will probably take him right at 4 months total, just working weekends and evenings.

He HAS had a little help from two of our neighbors. One is a painter and he has done the final coat on all our trim painting, plus any sheetrock work. The other has helped lay the flooring. He has either done or will be doing work for them in return. We also got our granite free, and only had to pay for it to be cut and installed, thanks to electrical work he had done for the granite shop owner.

I guess I'm gonna need to tell him today how amazing he really is.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, trulycrabby said:

Looks gorgeous! I have been researching paint, and the Miss Mustard Seed milk paints are very high quality. 

Did you put a wax or poly coat on the cabinets? It's not necessary with milk paint, but some people do it anyways.

I did put 2 coats of their sealer since my kitchen cabinets will get a lot of use. We did the “shiplap” wall (in quotes because it’s not real shiplap - just 1x6s) in just a primer watered down and then put a coat of the Miss Mustard Seed sealer on there also. I love the finish it adds to it, and it deepens the color of the paint as well.

Also, I think what I love the most is that they do not smell! The sealer really doesn’t either - no fumes! My husband insisted we do oil base on all the trim, doors and molding and I can barely stand to be in the house for a couple days after they use that.

10 hours ago, 1GirlTwinBoys said:

It looks AMAZING!  Fantastic job on all of it.

Also, I'd love to see a picture of your stove and microwave from the front view.  I'm looking to replace mine now and yours has the kind of handles I want.

We decided to go with Kitchen Aid because it’s really the only brand that had what I wanted in a fridge (counter depth) that got decent reviews, and I wanted everything to match. It didn’t hurt that their oven got great reviews too. I have had a Maytag Gemini freestanding, double oven for years and there was no way I wasn’t getting a double. I use the top oven almost daily and love it because it doesn’t heat the kitchen like the bigger oven.

Anyway, excuse my reflections in the pictures. ;-p

AB3F1D6F-2214-4C0C-9E23-3E22B21DDA59.jpeg

3CEBA0D8-985E-4DC1-B8CB-5D7F50235DCE.jpeg

• Like 1

It looks fabulous!  Love the colors. If I had that island and those colors, I'd go aqua/turquoise on the island.  :)

We began our kitchen update over the board break (plenty of free time!) My "before" colors are similar to yours (tan walls, barn red cabinets). We've painted the walls, installed new flooring, and put trim/crown mounding on our builder grade cabinets. Now to decide on paint for the cabinets!

21 hours ago, 1GirlTwinBoys said:

Where is the ice maker and water dispenser??

I’m so sorry - I just saw this. The ice maker is in the freezer, which is on bottom, and there is a water dispenser inside the fridge that dispenses filtered water. I actually prefer it greatly to having one on front (which we had on our other fridge) because we ALWAYS had water dripping down the front of the fridge.

23 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

We must have similar tastes--I love it! 

I'd just keep the base of the island the way it is--I think it's very pretty and calm. Let the rug be the color.

But, YMMV!! Do what makes you happy! 

Well, my barstools were purchased to match my kitchen table chairs and are white metal. They don’t look great with that color. The rug doesn’t have a ton of color, and it’s going in the den, but it has a lot of small flecks of various colors and it has the orange, so I think it’ll be fun to use.

Also I don’t think I could go with anything else in the blue family because of the shade of blue the cabinets are. I mean they have a lot of gray, but they definitely look blue. It would be tough to pull off another shade of blue that close.