Menu

Well-Trained Bodies- April Edition

Soror

It was my gym day. Today was deadlifts, presses, lat pull downs, lunges and a little ab work.  I finished it off with 12mins of intervals on the erg.  I'm enjoying rowing. I also went for a walk today. Most days I've been getting over 10,000 steps, usually including a 2 mile walk.  Tomorrow will probably be a rest day because I'm just so busy.  

@SarahCB  , hope it's a good flight! And 65# goblet squat is no joke.  I'm doing 65 with a back squat.  I could not do that as a goblet squat.  

• Like 2

On 4/18/2018 at 2:10 PM, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Oh ladies, I forgot to share my big news.  I finally decided to put my faith in my running shorts with built-in liner and I went commando underneath.  Everything worked great and there was significantly less need for mid-run pinches or tugs to rearrange wandering fabric.  Hooray!  LOL

I do this too!  It's life changing. lol

• Haha 1

I've been doing pretty good!  Yoga class Thursday night, then I did a "sculpt" workout Friday, yoga class and trampoline workout on Saturday, rest Sunday and then another trampoline workout yesterday.  Today I'll do another trampoline workout and some yoga at home. I'm hoping to take my first pilates reformer class tomorrow if I can figure out how to sign up. haha! 

• Like 2

Morning workout done!

100 squats in a row! Woot!

Inverted Rows, Lunges w/ 20# dumbbells, push-ups, tricep pushdown, lat pulldown, low row- 3 sets

Hollow body and a plank move each x 3, GHDx1

Gotta figure out what I'm doing this evening when I go lifting.

• Like 3

On 4/23/2018 at 3:28 AM, LVG said:

What are some ways that help you stay motivated?  I will go full force for 2 to 3 weeks at a time, lose 3-6 pounds, then lose my motivation for a few weeks, gain a pound or 2 back, then get mad at myself and start the whole process over again.  I just can’t seem to stay on track more than 3 weeks before I lose my motivation.  Any tips?

For me personally, I had to totally re-frame what I was doing as health-seeking rather than weight-loss.  In fact, it's good I did, because I am NOT losing weight, despite doing many things that *should* be getting my 15-20lbs off.  I read the book Spark! and that really helped me put an exercise habit in place.  The book is mostly about the cognitive benefits of exercise and that really shocked me into getting back into long-unused habits and keeping them up.  Exercising is no longer about particular goals/body sculpting or whatever, it's about not having Alzheimer's, not being dependent as I age, etc.  

For food, I am an all or nothing type.  I am terrible with the decision fatigue of moderation.  MANY MANY PEOPLE do really well with moderation diets, so I'm NOT knocking that approach and it's surely the healthiest.  But I can put myself on auto-pilot if I simply have a banned foods list.  I don't have to limit myself to one handful of chips, I don't have to wonder if I could get a second handful of chips because I had a light lunch, I just flat don't eat chips.  I am one of the keto-ers here, which again, I don't think has to be for everyone.  It just works well with my own mental weaknesses.  

---------

Ran my 5k route with a 10:08 pace this morning.  Sooooo close!  :-)  

I'm reading and enjoying the book Simple and Sinister which puts together a really straight-forward kettlebell routine.  I'm ready to start, now I just need to figure out where to fit it in.  I'm sort of embarrassed to do it in front of people, so I need to think on that.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

For me personally, I had to totally re-frame what I was doing as health-seeking rather than weight-loss.  In fact, it's good I did, because I am NOT losing weight, despite doing many things that *should* be getting my 15-20lbs off.  I read the book Spark! and that really helped me put an exercise habit in place.  The book is mostly about the cognitive benefits of exercise and that really shocked me into getting back into long-unused habits and keeping them up.  Exercising is no longer about particular goals/body sculpting or whatever, it's about not having Alzheimer's, not being dependent as I age, etc.  

For food, I am an all or nothing type.  I am terrible with the decision fatigue of moderation.  MANY MANY PEOPLE do really well with moderation diets, so I'm NOT knocking that approach and it's surely the healthiest.  But I can put myself on auto-pilot if I simply have a banned foods list.  I don't have to limit myself to one handful of chips, I don't have to wonder if I could get a second handful of chips because I had a light lunch, I just flat don't eat chips.  I am one of the keto-ers here, which again, I don't think has to be for everyone.  It just works well with my own mental weaknesses.  

---------

I'm reading and enjoying the book Simple and Sinister which puts together a really straight-forward kettlebell routine.  I'm ready to start, now I just need to figure out where to fit it in.  I'm sort of embarrassed to do it in front of people, so I need to think on that.  

I will definitely check that book out!  I think what I’m really wondering is if there are articles/books/documentaries/magazines that you all read that keep you focused?  I watched fat sick and nearly dead, and that kept me really focused and motivated for about 3, maybe 4 weeks.  When I lost that motivation maybe watching it again, or continually being in a book about health or something would keep me going.  Is that something that some of you do to keep focused? Maybe having a list of go-to blogs, magazines, books, or whatever would help me when I find myself losing focus and falling back into old habits?!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

Let's just say yesterday and today have been a complete bust food and exercise wise.  I noticed Sunday our 14 1/2 year old dog had a slightly swollen eye.  Yesterday morning he refused to get up and his eye was swollen shut.  Off to the vet we go thinking a simple eye infection was the cause.  Wrong.  She discovered he had ulcers on it and his eye pressure was horribly high=glaucoma.  She said he was in horrific pain and immediately called the specialty hospital to get him in with the eye dr.  We went from her office to the specialty hospital.  We waited.  And waited more.  Finally seen.  His lens had slipped forward and is blocking drainage.  His eyesight is gone in that eye.  After much discussion with the surgeon I made the incredibly hard decision to have that eye completely removed.  We left him there.  One of the hardest things I have ever done.  He is old, he is anxious, I am his person. He was reaching for me and crying.  He was in so much pain and scared to death.  A couple hours later they called to let me know he was out of surgery and had done well.  A few more hours passed and we were able to pick him up.  Minus one eye and minus lot of pain.  He is recovering well.  We left home yesterday morning at 8:45 for what I thought was a simple eye infection.  My daughter and I walked back in at 12:00 without our dog and after making a gut wrenching decision.  A decision I had to make without even consulting my husband because there wasn't time......our dog was in so much pain (and wasn't peeing, wasn't drinking, wasn't eating, wasn't even really moving).  He is improving today.   I am still reeling from it all.  My husband reassured me I made the right decision.  The surgeon was kind and also agreed with my decision.  Everyone at the hospital was kind and treated our little dog so well (and treat us very well too).   The cost of yesterday has me reeling as much as everything else.  It was jaw dropping expensive (for us anyway).  

No exercise has been done.  Eating has been crappy...wrong food and way too much.  Tomorrow is a new day.  Things are settling down and I WILL be back on track.  I dread even getting on the scales and facing the damage of these 2 days.

Hugs! That sounds really stressful, cut yourself a boatload of slack!  Two days is easy to recover from. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

Let's just say yesterday and today have been a complete bust food and exercise wise.  I noticed Sunday our 14 1/2 year old dog had a slightly swollen eye.  Yesterday morning he refused to get up and his eye was swollen shut.  Off to the vet we go thinking a simple eye infection was the cause.  Wrong.  She discovered he had ulcers on it and his eye pressure was horribly high=glaucoma.  She said he was in horrific pain and immediately called the specialty hospital to get him in with the eye dr.  We went from her office to the specialty hospital.  We waited.  And waited more.  Finally seen.  His lens had slipped forward and is blocking drainage.  His eyesight is gone in that eye.  After much discussion with the surgeon I made the incredibly hard decision to have that eye completely removed.  We left him there.  One of the hardest things I have ever done.  He is old, he is anxious, I am his person. He was reaching for me and crying.  He was in so much pain and scared to death.  A couple hours later they called to let me know he was out of surgery and had done well.  A few more hours passed and we were able to pick him up.  Minus one eye and minus lot of pain.  He is recovering well.  We left home yesterday morning at 8:45 for what I thought was a simple eye infection.  My daughter and I walked back in at 12:00 without our dog and after making a gut wrenching decision.  A decision I had to make without even consulting my husband because there wasn't time......our dog was in so much pain (and wasn't peeing, wasn't drinking, wasn't eating, wasn't even really moving).  He is improving today.   I am still reeling from it all.  My husband reassured me I made the right decision.  The surgeon was kind and also agreed with my decision.  Everyone at the hospital was kind and treated our little dog so well (and treat us very well too).   The cost of yesterday has me reeling as much as everything else.  It was jaw dropping expensive (for us anyway).  

No exercise has been done.  Eating has been crappy...wrong food and way too much.  Tomorrow is a new day.  Things are settling down and I WILL be back on track.  I dread even getting on the scales and facing the damage of these 2 days.

Poor little guy. Glad he's improving now. Hugs to you all.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

---------

I've heard Simple and Sinister was really good for KB's, you'll have to keep us updated. I read Spark last year too, great book. I was in a similar space about size, I worked really hard on accepting that this may be my new size, stopped weighing focused on actions, eating good food, and moving my body and the weight has dropped with an ease I've not had since my last baby (and thyroid disease). I've done lots of time on really restrictive diets but I just can't anymore. I'm generally all or nothing too but something flipped, I had the opposite problem, restriction fatigue! My only rule is gf, but putting the focus on eating fresh foods and lots of veggies I eat mostly paleo. When that starts sliding I feel it and veer back that direction. But what works for one doesn't for another, I think it is great everyone share their experience, that way people have lots of ideas to try and see what works for them (or don't try if they think it wouldn't work at all) we all gotta do what works for us.

5 hours ago, LVG said:

I will definitely check that book out!  I think what I’m really wondering is if there are articles/books/documentaries/magazines that you all read that keep you focused?  I watched fat sick and nearly dead, and that kept me really focused and motivated for about 3, maybe 4 weeks.  When I lost that motivation maybe watching it again, or continually being in a book about health or something would keep me going.  Is that something that some of you do to keep focused? Maybe having a list of go-to blogs, magazines, books, or whatever would help me when I find myself losing focus and falling back into old habits?!

I've got a few pages I follow on FB but would love to have more (Lift Like a Girl and Girls Gone Strong primarily). I stalk my friends pages that post about workouts (although I pretty much never post my own). I post here a lot. I'd like to have more to follow but haven't had much luck finding ones I really love. 

@peacelovehomeschooling (hugs) I hope your doggy is recovered and home soon.

Evening lifting done, I only had 30 minutes b/c I had an appointment so I really got with it-

3 sets Squats- 95#; TBar Row 85#, OH Press 45#

Gah, the press was HARD after the butt ton of upper body I did this am, I threw in some more pull-ups before I left too. I *can* do a chin-up from flat-footed, I swear I tested that just last week and I couldn't but I did today and that was after all my upper body work too. Very psyched about that, I'm going to keep pushing the elevated ones and just throw in those occasionally until they get smoother. Maybe next week I'll try it from a dead hang again and see where I'm at now (although knowing how that has went in the past I'm very apprehensive). I'd puffy heart love to bust one out at the lifting gym, that'd make my day! Maybe by my bday, that seems reasonable, right? Maybe this time!!! 

Tommorrow is generally a rest day but I told a friend I'd take her to PF, I plan on keeping it pretty low key for me though, I want my muscles to have a break! 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, LVG said:

I just remembered a book I finished in the last month or so that I got from these boards.  It's called the Beck Diet Solution.  It sounds really lame, but it's a WONDERFUL book and I think it would really address your struggles.  I listened to it as an audiobook actually, which was a nice option, but there are some charts and annexes, so I wish I'd gotten a paper or kindle version. Basically, the book is not pitching a diet.  It is instead meant to be used with ANY diet/lifestyle change and teaches you cognitive behavioral therapy skills to help keep you on track.  It's really, really good.  It helped me understand that my mom (and most thin people) is not "naturally thin", but she simply has a behavior pattern that makes her not struggle with weight.  The book has something like 40ish steps to take, one per day over six weeks or something like that... that talk you through changing your thinking patterns into a more healthy "naturally thin person" pattern.  It talks a lot and has strategies for when motivation fails or there is a slip-up.  It's really, really good.  In fact, reading it and using the skills has also improved my dedication to exercise and even housework, because I find myself using my cognitive therapy skills when I'm trying to weasel my way out of responsibilities or goals that I know I have.  

9 hours ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

So sorry, what a rough few days!  Big hugs.  

• Like 4

On 4/23/2018 at 4:47 PM, soror said:

Maybe just pick one thing to do. And as far as giving up that is a mental thing- either set an easier goal that you can reach or work on accepting that you will have ups and downs. Everyone has off days, what makes the success is getting right back in there the next day, no one is perfect.

This is always wise. It’s easy to want to change all the things right now and lose the weight pronto, but the reason why we fall back on habits is because motivation is fickle and willpower is in short supply. @Monica_in_Switzerland mentioned decision fatigue above and ime, that’s really part of the willpower well. It’s not a reliable way to accomplish one’s goals. For me, small changes add up over time because they became new habits that replaced old ones. So, when willpower and motivation fail, my new habits carry me through.

So, changing how you drink your coffee is fine, but if you also change 14 other things and you really don’t like drinking your coffee that way and you feel deprived because you really like eating x and now you can’t and the kids are bickering and the dog rolled in mud and you really hate exercising and you slept crappy? Fuggeddabout it! On the other hand, taking it slowly and giving time for that new thing to become a habit makes your new, healthier choices more resilient.

It’s like running (because for me, everything is like running, lol). People start running because they think it’s a good way to lose weight, but if you are only running because you think you’ll lose weight and you pretty much only do it for that reason, I can pretty much guarantee you that you won’t stick with it. If, however you take up running and do it because you love running, then you’ll not only stick with it, but you’ll probably lose weight too and it’s probably not all going to be due to the running. Finding success doing a physical activity you enjoy can help you make other changes that then become habits.

The other thing they always say is “the way you maintain weight loss is the way you lost it.” Don’t set yourself up for regain by doing something you can’t sustain. @LVG, how much weight are we talking here? Under 50? Over 50? Do you have a physical activity you enjoy doing? I didn’t start exercising until I was 18 months in to losing weight, but sometimes being active can be a positive reinforcement if there are not physical limitations in play.

We were out of town this weekend for our annual trip to an indoor waterpark with my side of the family. I ran 4-ish miles on Friday before we left and took Saturday as a rest day. It’s always a lot of walking so I easily got near 20k steps on Saturday. I had to buy a new tankini top as the one from last year was too big. That was frustrating because I hate shopping and dh was out of town for work so he wasn’t there to help me not buy a new one that also was too big. I bought a size down, but I think I should have gone two sizes down.

In the past I’ve avoided most of the waterpark stuff because I just wasn’t comfortable in my skin. I clearly still think I am bigger than I am. There was one point where dh told me to just put the tube over my head, but I told him I couldn’t because I wouldn’t fit before my brain caught up.

Dh and I ran 12 miles on Sunday. I ran just over 5 yesterday. I have about 5 to run today. I think I’ll probably save that for while the kids are at soccer practice. Saturday is the first of thre races I’m running this spring. I’m running an 8k race with my youngest sister. Dh was supposed to run with us, but he’s got work stuff he can’t get out of.

• Like 2

Took friend to PF yesterday. I took her through a basic full body workout (she's not exercised in awhile and mostly used cardio equipment before). I kept my weights on the very low side. It is funny we did lunges and I just did bodyweight- boy those felt so easy after doing them with 20# the last few times. I remember wondering when we started how long it would take for lunges to feel easy they kicked my butt so hard. Oh, and we finished up on the bikes, we kept a nice easy pace for a cool down, I got in 2.5 miles in 17 minutes. 

Today I'm scheduled to go w/ my Mom to workout in the am and then to lift heavy in the PM. 

BUT I expect my life to be a little in the air b/c fil has taken another turn for the worse. I'm taking the kids today to visit but dh thinks it will be the last time they can go (before things are really bad). Between being out late for a meeting(didn't get home until 11) and everything going on I'm feeling a little revved up, I'm looking forward to a workout for some stress relief before things really go south. We had planned for a outdoor project/hike Sat but I don't see that happening. Dh thinks we should go b/c it is not like I can stay there w/ the kids at the hospital room but I plan to at least be there for him when the time comes (the kids are old enough to stay on their own for time periods). And no way I'm going somewhere where I don't have cell service, his family is so pragmatic.

• Like 2

Last Saturday's activities and the conversation about focusing on fitness rather than weight has me thinking. We had a three mile hike (the first half, to a cave on the side of a small mountain/big hill, was uphill). It was challenging. DD wimped out and turned back at the first mile.

I want to be able to walk/hike without being so beat. I care far more about that than I do about what size pants I'm wearing. So, that's going to be my goal--work up my stamina. Take more hikes, etc.

But, in the spirit of baby steps, I'm still focused on my daily step count. I increased it on Monday after going a whole week again of hitting goal--thanks to the hike, my average for the week was much higher than the goal, so I increased by 500 steps/day. And, I'm still making it! I probably look like a crazy person, with all the circles I'm walking around the courtyard outside my office (whenever I head to the jail, prosecutor's office, or courthouse, all of which are right in the same building complex, I circle that courtyard several times for extra steps on my way).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ravin said:

I want to be able to walk/hike without being so beat. I care far more about that than I do about what size pants I'm wearing. So, that's going to be my goal--work up my stamina. Take more hikes, etc.

But, in the spirit of baby steps, I'm still focused on my daily step count. I increased it on Monday after going a whole week again of hitting goal--thanks to the hike, my average for the week was much higher than the goal, so I increased by 500 steps/day. And, I'm still making it! I probably look like a crazy person, with all the circles I'm walking around the courtyard outside my office (whenever I head to the jail, prosecutor's office, or courthouse, all of which are right in the same building complex, I circle that courtyard several times for extra steps on my way).

Great goal!  You could also try adding in some extra intensity to the walking, such as going up and down stairs. You'd be working different muscles, working against gravity, and you'll probably get your heart pumping harder as well.  The transfer of city walking to hiking in nature will probably be more smooth as well, because there tend to be more hills and different footing out in nature.

• Like 2

I did a bunch more walking today. First, in the rain, downtown with ds 15 trying to find the passport office, and then trying to find our way back to the car. Second, in the sun, on my own out along a country road while dd was teaching violin lessons. The walk in the sun was way more pleasant! 

Is anyone else recovering from an injury finding that they get tired quicker when the body feels some pain and discomfort? I'm trying to figure out whether it's a mental fatigue more than actually physical fatigue. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Is anyone else recovering from an injury finding that they get tired quicker when the body feels some pain and discomfort? I'm trying to figure out whether it's a mental fatigue more than actually physical fatigue. 

Not currently but I've btdt, it sucks :( 

@Ravin great job meeting your goals!

It's been a helluva day, I'm sooo very glad it is over. FIL is resting now, no idea on how things are going to play out, one day at a time. The kids were able to catch him awake, not sure if they will again. 

Am & PM workout, it was very good stress relief. AND I DID do proper chin-ups off the tall box (it is about the same as doing it on my door bar I realized) at the lifting gym, with good form (I went to go show the one guy I was talking to Tuesday but he had already left- I can't wait to show him!). Got a rep of 75# on the bench.

Food has been ok but my intake has increased. I'm happy with my body and things are crazy. I'm going to try and keep active and eat good food because it makes me feel good and I want to try and keep the stress in check but it be what it be.

I'm hoping to get some much-needed downtime tomorrow and do some binging on Handmaid's Tale but I'll probably do some mowing at some point, push mowing on a hill, total buttkicker.

• Like 2

@soror sorry about your fil.

@wintermom I haven’t, but injury recovery stinks all around!

@Ravin fitness goals are sometimes better than weight goals. There’s something to be said for being stronger, faster, having more stamina, etc.

I ran just over 6 miles yesterday for what has to be, hands down, the best, most enjoyable run this year. Today’s a rest day. Tomorrow os the 8k. My sister’s kids have been dropping one after the other with a 24-hour GI bug. She’s nervous that she’s next and won’t be able to run tomorrow. I’m iffy about running it with her because we have already had our share of GI bugs this year, thank you very much.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mamaraby said:

@soror sorry about your fil.

@wintermom I haven’t, but injury recovery stinks all around!

@Ravin fitness goals are sometimes better than weight goals. There’s something to be said for being stronger, faster, having more stamina, etc.

I ran just over 6 miles yesterday for what has to be, hands down, the best, most enjoyable run this year. Today’s a rest day. Tomorrow os the 8k. My sister’s kids have been dropping one after the other with a 24-hour GI bug. She’s nervous that she’s next and won’t be able to run tomorrow. I’m iffy about running it with her because we have already had our share of GI bugs this year, thank you very much.

Fingers crossed and good luck!

I'm trying to muster motivation to do some bodyweight work this am, we'll see if that happens, I might just take off this weekend. 

I read this in an email from Nerd Fitness this am- I tried to find it on the blog but don't see it there so I'm going to post a snippet as I thought it related to what we were talking about with motivation and such. The basis for the article is comparing fitness like the building of the Marvel empire in that they've taken 10 yrs to build the universe and introduce various heroes (just to give a background)- that analogy might not work for non-nerds but the conclusion is solid-- ymmmv- (FYI they focus on the paleo diet if you click the link through but substitute that for whatever works for you)

"This is why we drill the Marvel mentality into people’s heads (not literally) at Nerd Fitness:

A plan, patience, and consistency!

We don’t believe in diets, cleanses, or detoxes. Any temporary change we make will result in temporary progress, and we want permanent progress.

In other words, we need to stop trying to do so much, so quickly.

This stuff CANNOT be rushed. If you’ve ever tried to get in shape in the past and then ran out of motivation, or momentum, congratulations! You found a speed that was TOO fast for you.

You need to slow down and think longer term!

Be more Marvel:

•  
  • Start with your single superhero plan: “I’m going to go for a 5 minute walk every day.”
  • Once you built the first habit, then adjust your nutrition
  • Give yourself goals to work towards
  •  

• Thanks 1

Did 3 rounds- push-ups, chin-ups, and pistol squats. Had the kids video me doing a chin-up, we'll see if you can see it. Form is getting smoother each time (although to get them to get a decent video I had to do it upteen times and am getting shaky!). I'm doing it from flat-footed, I can do a pull-up like this too but it is not as smooth. I'm trying to keep my legs straight and maintain hollow body but you can see my knees come up some. I did try a dead hang chin up but I need to get some more strength b/c you can see that my left side is way stronger than the right.

54661916297__C8F7D820-6453-4AD5-865B-DD7B12D37898.MOV

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soror said:

Had the kids video me doing a chin-up, we'll see if it turned out. Form is getting smoother each time. I'm doing it from flat footed, I can do a pull-up like this too but it is not as smooth.

54661889280__6F2A75BF-78DA-4FC6-8BD0-4AF32EC277CF.MOV

That's really impressive! 

I was away this week - had about 9.5 hours of airplane time on Monday to get to the West coast and then flew back here on Friday - that's way too much time on a plane in one week. I did make it to the gym Monday before I left. I took Tuesday as a rest day. Ran 7.5km in my new neighbourhood on Wednesday but didn't do anything Thursday or Friday. This morning I ran 15.5 km with my running group. I almost didn't go because I took cute shoes with me on my trip and ended up with horrific blisters on my heels. I was hobbling through the airport yesterday. I double bandaged them this morning before my run and did ok. 

My big win was managing all of that travel without bad snacks. I packed cheese and salami for the trip out and bought a bun-less burger in between flights. Then on the way back I packed ham, swiss cheese, almonds and some blueberries. I did grab some chicken fingers between flights, but in the grand scheme of things that was pretty impressive as what I really wanted was a big bag of gummy bears. 

• Like 4

@Kim in Appalachia- Kudos to you for the good week! I know I've been enjoying a bit of yoga after my lifting too, feels so good.

@SarahCB- Glad you got settled and I'm hella impressed that you kept with your eating plan and jumped right back to your exercise (and gummy bears sound good but I'd choose jelly beans if I'm going for straight up sugar candy, yumm!)

• Like 1

It’s been a good week for me. I only rowed one day, but that’s because the weather has been amazing and I had to get out of the house. So I walked for an hour 4 days this week, and then this morning spent 3 hours out in the yard, pulling weeds and ripping stuff out. We moved to this house about 6 months ago and the backyard is an overgrown mess - full of weeds, ivy running amok, and dead bushes with no hope of coming back to life. We are having a big family event here in about 3 weeks and I’m hoping to do most of it in the backyard, so I’m highly motovated to have it looking decent. 

• Like 2

@soror - looking good!

@PinkTulip -good weather can really go a long way!

@SarahCB - yay for victories along the way no matter how small. Blisters sound like no fun, tho.

8K is done. Managed a 10:58/pace which is slow, but not too shabby. My sister managed to stay healthy. The race was huge. I think it took around 20 minutes from when the gun went off for the first wave until our wave crossed the start line. We were conservative in our positioning within the corral, but no one else was so we spent a lot of time passing people. Towards the end, the course merged with where spectators walked. They were walking four wide in spots and were generally clueless so more weaving. I just managed to avoid mowing down a child who darted out in front of me. But hey, we made it!

Long run is up tomorrow after driving a couple of hours round trip to a soccer game. 11 mile run at the long, slow pace.

• Like 1

I got in my weekly Saturday morning hike in the woods. It was raining pretty hard for the hike and footing was slippery, so my pace wasn't too quick. I've gone for another couple short walks as well - mostly because sitting down is painful. Gotta keep standing and moving. 

• Like 1

I got myself back in gear this week!  I’ve started using my step tracker again along with my fitness pal.  I think those things are key elements for me to stay on track.  Looking back if I stop using MFP, my food choices start to slip more and more each day until I find myself back into all my old habits.  So this time around rather than thinking at that 3 to 4 week mark “oh I don’t need to use that anymore, I know what to eat”, I’m just going to keep with it.  I’m ordering a couple of the books you all recommended too to help me keep focused on health in general!  I managed to get between 5 to 6k steps each day this week.  Today was a bit different because we had an event we went to with food trucks.  I got a couple of fun things there to eat, but got 11k steps in to try offsetting some of the bad calories.  I’ve managed to lose close to 3 lbs since Tuesday, and I’m super happy with that!

BTW I am new to this forum.  I just jumped in here because weight loss is something I’ve struggled with for a few years now.  Thanks for letting me join in:). 

• Like 2

It took me a while to get back on the boards because my old account was linked to a defunct email. I really missed the accountability this group provides! 

This past week, I got in 2 strength training workouts and 3 cardio, but was 20 min short of my minimum cardio goal. I've been in a pattern of having a hard time getting in gear on Mondays. Hopefully, I will break that trend tomorrow. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Laurie4b said:

It took me a while to get back on the boards because my old account was linked to a defunct email. I really missed the accountability this group provides! 

This past week, I got in 2 strength training workouts and 3 cardio, but was 20 min short of my minimum cardio goal. I've been in a pattern of having a hard time getting in gear on Mondays. Hopefully, I will break that trend tomorrow. 

So glad to see you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Laurie4b said:

I had the same problem. Glad you're back!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fil passed yesterday, it was a rough day and night. But he is at peace now, he's been suffering for awhile now and ready to go. 

As practical as the family is they are insisting that everyone go on as before, so we're trying to proceed as usual.  I've got to get ds some clothes today and the services are Wednesday. I'm not sure of anything else right now, mil lives next door so we are on call for when she needs us. Our yard still hasn't been mowed w/ everything going on, so that is on the list to do as well. Dh is taking off all week. Next weekend he plans to proceed as scheduled and do Challenge Course training, surely we can get some rest between now and then. My priority this week is family time, it has been in short supply with everything going on. The kids are sure missing dh who has been with his father so much (as he should have been).

I weighed this am and was at 1.4 lbs lost for the month, which was 2 lbs shy of my goal but as I've mentioned I'm happy with my body, I don't feel I've failed at all. I'd like to focus on growing stronger, if I eventually lose those 2 lbs that's fine but it's fine if I don't. It's not surprising as my intake had increased, that's good though looking at my numbers gives me an idea of where my level of maintenance is now post nursing/pregnancy which has been alluding me. As I said dh and his family are insisting that things go back to normal so I'm planning on doing that but we'll see, I think they are a bit optimistic here, at least for the first week.

10 minutes ago, soror said:

Fil passed yesterday, it was a rough day and night. But he is at peace now, he's been suffering for awhile now and ready to go. 

As practical as the family is they are insisting that everyone go on as before, so we're trying to proceed as usual.  I've got to get ds some clothes today and the services are Wednesday. I'm not sure of anything else right now, mil lives next door so we are on call for when she needs us. Our yard still hasn't been mowed w/ everything going on, so that is on the list to do as well. Dh is taking off all week. Next weekend he plans to proceed as scheduled and do Challenge Course training, surely we can get some rest between now and then. My priority this week is family time, it has been in short supply with everything going on. The kids are sure missing dh who has been with his father so much (as he should have been).

I weighed this am and was at 1.4 lbs lost for the month, which was 2 lbs shy of my goal but as I've mentioned I'm happy with my body, I don't feel I've failed at all. I'd like to focus on growing stronger, if I eventually lose those 2 lbs that's fine but it's fine if I don't. It's not surprising as my intake had increased, that's good though looking at my numbers gives me an idea of where my level of maintenance is now post nursing/pregnancy which has been alluding me. As I said dh and his family are insisting that things go back to normal so I'm planning on doing that but we'll see, I think they are a bit optimistic here, at least for the first week.

Very sorry for your loss. Hugs to you and your family.

2 hours ago, soror said:

So sorry about your father in law. 

7 hours ago, soror said:

So sorry.  (((((hugs)))))) 

Thanks for the hugs ladies. WE are muddling through here. I couldn't sleep at 2 am and found dh in the basement, he still hadn't went to bed, too busy scanning pictures for the funeral home slide show. I finally got him to go to bed around 3:15 and I cropped the pictures for him, so I went to bed around 4, oh vey. Yesterday I felt like hell but  we don't have much going on today and hopefully will get a nap, tomorrow are services that is going to be so hard ?

This am I'm going to the gym as usual, not sure if it is going to be much of a workout but I'm going anyway.

• Like 1

I played my second outdoor tennis match of the season yesterday! It was a lot of fun. Dh and I played doubles with friends. It's tricky re-learning how to anticipate the wind factor when taking shots, not to mention I've lost a lot of the racquet control I had. And my running speed is way down due to my hamstring injury. I'm happy that I didn't get too frustrated with myself. It's just great to be able to get outside and run around hitting some tennis balls. ?

• Like 1

Work out done, gah I wasn't feeling very haus today but I did my best. Looks like lifting won't happen tonight as we've got a fAmily get together but that is probably just as well, im in desperate need of some down time and a nap.

• Like 1