Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

soror

Well-Trained Bodies- April Edition

Recommended Posts

Welcome,  @Runningmom80

@soror - good on you for telling him to change his words!

@Ravin - breaking the streak is tough!

I feel very accomplished now for utilizing forum tools. Is it annoying? I kind of prefer it to multi-quoting.

We are going to get snow tomorrow...again. Somehow it feels like we’ve gotten more consistent snow this week than all winter. Could be that I’m just more focused on the snow. Soccer season is...interesting with all this snow. The kids are bummed.

I managed 6 miles on the treadmill yesterday by first reasoning that I had to at least get 5 miles in and then by reasoning that 6 miles was only one mile more and less than I had already run. It worked. I’m about to head out the door for 5 miles outside. Cold or not. Bah.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mamaraby said:

Welcome,  @Runningmom80

@soror - good on you for telling him to change his words!

@Ravin - breaking the streak is tough!

I feel very accomplished now for utilizing forum tools. Is it annoying? I kind of prefer it to multi-quoting.

We are going to get snow tomorrow...again. Somehow it feels like we’ve gotten more consistent snow this week than all winter. Could be that I’m just more focused on the snow. Soccer season is...interesting with all this snow. The kids are bummed.

I managed 6 miles on the treadmill yesterday by first reasoning that I had to at least get 5 miles in and then by reasoning that 6 miles was only one mile more and less than I had already run. It worked. I’m about to head out the door for 5 miles outside. Cold or not. Bah.

Oh, that is cool, I like that too, I didn't know we coudl do that, how do you do it?

Boo, for snow, ya for runs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soror said:

Oh, that is cool, I like that too, I didn't know we coudl do that, how do you do it?

Boo, for snow, ya for runs!

You type the @ sign and then start typing the name. It’ll pop up a list of usernames. Then you select the one you need and it puts it in blue.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got off my butt right after making that post yesterday and went and got in the rest of my steps for the day, so I'm back on track. I won't increase my step count until I get a full week in without missing target, though.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been in a total funk for the last several weeks - really not feeling it when it comes to exercise and my diet has been atrocious. But I started to come out of it a little yesterday and today, so I am trying to get back on track. So I rowed for an hour each yesterday and today, and my diet yesterday was really good and on track so far today. We have some big family events coming up in about 6 weeks so I’m using that as my motivation to lose some weight! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I worked out yesterday but haven’t yet today :( I have been so busy and have not been prioritizing fitness! I really need to get it together tomorrow. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, soror said:

Welcome new people!

Worked out w/ friend, Mom out of town. So we did more HIIT bodyweight stuff. 

Not my cup of tea, I prefer heavier and slower weights but we worked our muscles and got our heart rates up. 

Tonight I'm benching, squatting, and doing pull-ups, HEAVY :) 

Hope for a walk, it is finally warming up. My sleep was a pinch better but I took some melatonin last night. Not sure what's going on, hopefully it is just some random temporary blip.

13 days to go til weigh in, gots to get me some more clothes, going shopping this weekend. It is crazy how much bigger my shirts are, anything that was on the bit bigger side is too big now. Dh was gripping about my butt getting too small (he's a curve man) but I finally got on him about it. He was saying it in a sad way, like he doesn't like it. I'm doing this for me and he needs to find nice things to say. My hips are still 12 in bigger than my waist, I've still got curves, and my chest hasn't lost all that much (less than my butt for sure). Men. Sigh.

 

 My sister's dh used to say stuff like that, but she set him straight. :D

 

I did go for a walk last night. :) I probably should have studied more, but it all worked out. The test was not hard for me. Today is a rest day, but I'm still planning on a walk tonight. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@peacelovehomeschooling consistency gets the job done, so good job being boring!

@Kim in Appalachia dh is generally a good guy but oblivious, like here while back when he told me my butt was HUGE but that was a compliment, I'm like you need to work on your compliments. Good thing, I like my butt, bigger or smaller :) I'm certainly not a waif now either, I got about 10 # before I'm in the range I think is on the too small for me (dh and I may disagree on that but I'm certainly not smaller than when we met).

@PinkTulip (hugs) today is a new day. 

@mamaraby- HMMM, sometimes it is bringing up the tag and sometimes not, can you only do a couple??

@Runningmom80- good job for the workout, you don't have to do it every day to be a success!

@Ravin- good job on meeting steps!

1 mi walk in afternoon.

Heavy lifting in the evening. Lifting felt great, I got triple digits on my squat, 100# back squat, woot! Then did shoulder press(45#) and tbar rows(85#). Totally changed my plan but the power rack was busy when I got there. I'm feeling sore this mornign, hopefully not a bad sore. Probably the stupid HIIT stuff, going too fast, messing up form.

I had some yummy ribs for supper, the birthday girl's choice. Today I'm having some bday cake, dd slaved over it and it looks delicious.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, soror said:

@peacelovehomeschooling consistency gets the job done, so good job being boring!

@Kim in Appalachia dh is generally a good guy but oblivious, like here while back when he told me my butt was HUGE but that was a compliment, I'm like you need to work on your compliments. Good thing, I like my butt, bigger or smaller :) I'm certainly not a waif now either, I got about 10 # before I'm in the range I think is on the too small for me (dh and I may disagree on that but I'm certainly not smaller than when we met).

@PinkTulip (hugs) today is a new day. 

@mamaraby- HMMM, sometimes it is bringing up the tag and sometimes not, can you only do a couple??

@Runningmom80- good job for the workout, you don't have to do it every day to be a success!

@Ravin- good job on meeting steps!

1 mi walk in afternoon.

Heavy lifting in the evening. Lifting felt great, I got triple digits on my squat, 100# back squat, woot! Then did shoulder press(45#) and tbar rows(85#). Totally changed my plan but the power rack was busy when I got there. I'm feeling sore this mornign, hopefully not a bad sore. Probably the stupid HIIT stuff, going too fast, messing up form.

I had some yummy ribs for supper, the birthday girl's choice. Today I'm having some bday cake, dd slaved over it and it looks delicious.

Hmmm, I was able to add in the tags for all the ones that weren’t tags in you quote. How are you posting? I’m on my iPad and sometimes the tag menu thing pops up under my keyboard. You definitely have to have the menu thingie to do the tag. Menu thingie here being a highly technical term, I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh glad to find this thread again, I lost it when the forums got re-done.  

Last weekend I ran 10 miles (spread over 2 days) and some of those miles had a pace that started with a 10:xx, so I'm happy.  :-D  

I have started getting up early again, so for the last two days I've been up at 5 and running by 5:30.  So far, just 2-3 mile run because my legs are sore from being a bit overzealous this past weekend.  

I also go the book Simple and Sinister for an easy kettlebell routine and hope to start in on that soon.  

AND I've been keeping Keto, though I did go off-plan on Easter.  

Great job everyone for keeping on keeping on.  Love this thread, it's very inspiring!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh ladies, I forgot to share my big news.  I finally decided to put my faith in my running shorts with built-in liner and I went commando underneath.  Everything worked great and there was significantly less need for mid-run pinches or tugs to rearrange wandering fabric.  Hooray!  LOL

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok this might be the strangest "complaint" of all time, but lately I have too much energy. 

I almost feel hyper or something.  I don't know what to make of it.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did my rowing this morning for an hour, and today started to add in my strength exercises again.  It's a little disheartening to see how much I have lost from when I was doing strength stuff before, but encouraging to have a goal to work back up to.  I know that if I could do it before, I can definitely do it again!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Oh ladies, I forgot to share my big news.  I finally decided to put my faith in my running shorts with built-in liner and I went commando underneath.  Everything worked great and there was significantly less need for mid-run pinches or tugs to rearrange wandering fabric.  Hooray!  LOL

 

Honestly, I have the hardest time doing that!  My dd thinks I'm nuts - she does it all the time and thinks I'm weird for wearing undies with either my spandex or running shorts.  

 

But you're right, too many layers leads to lots of 'tugs to rearrange wandering fabric'!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just finished reading The Economists' Diet by Christopher Payne and Rob Barnett--two economists. I like to read books like this as a little "pep talk" to keep me motivated to eat right. Their approach, supposedly based on economic principles, recommends 6 core habits: 1) weigh yourself everyday 2) Eat one square meal a day (and 2 small meals) 3) Be calorie conscious (but not a calorie counter) 4) don't waste money on fad diets or diet food 5) Limit variety in your diet 6) Adopt a mini-feast/mini-fast lifestyle.

There's some good stuff there. I'm a new convert this year to daily weigh-ins with a digital scale and I think it does help. Sometimes I thought their advice was too male, like the assumption that everyone eats out a lot or that weight fluctuations always reflect what you ate the day before. But overall it was a good reminder of helpful habits.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally got my normal username back again! It's good to see you all again, the new faces and the old ones. 

I've been doing my best to stay active in spite of some crazy weather happening here (ice storm, snow, rain). I got in a walk with my friend this afternoon. We typically get in about 4 miles in 1.5 hours, and manage to run a couple errands on route. All this while our dc are in band. It's like hitting 3 birds with one stone! 

I've also been going to the gym to work on upper body strength and core strength. My injured hamstring is healing well, but still no running for me (and outdoor tennis isn't happening yet because of the crazy weather). The most annoying part of the injury now  is that pain radiates down my leg to my knee when I drive. And I have to drive a lot. I'm the family taxi service. I've been cutting back as much as possible, though, and getting dd to drive (though I still have to be in the car). 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SparklyUnicorn said:

Ok this might be the strangest "complaint" of all time, but lately I have too much energy. 

I almost feel hyper or something.  I don't know what to make of it.

 

 

Please share the wealth! I was so tired I went to be at 8pm last night and slept 11 hours. I didn't even brush my teeth. I'm blaming my allergy meds.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

I just finished reading The Economists' Diet by Christopher Payne and Rob Barnett--two economists. I like to read books like this as a little "pep talk" to keep me motivated to eat right. Their approach, supposedly based on economic principles, recommends 6 core habits: 1) weigh yourself everyday 2) Eat one square meal a day (and 2 small meals) 3) Be calorie conscious (but not a calorie counter) 4) don't waste money on fad diets or diet food 5) Limit variety in your diet 6) Adopt a mini-feast/mini-fast lifestyle.

There's some good stuff there. I'm a new convert this year to daily weigh-ins with a digital scale and I think it does help. Sometimes I thought their advice was too male, like the assumption that everyone eats out a lot or that weight fluctuations always reflect what you ate the day before. But overall it was a good reminder of helpful habits.

I'm going to see if my library has this book.  It sounds very interesting.  I'm glad you mentioned it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Oh ladies, I forgot to share my big news.  I finally decided to put my faith in my running shorts with built-in liner and I went commando underneath.  Everything worked great and there was significantly less need for mid-run pinches or tugs to rearrange wandering fabric.  Hooray!  LOL

2

LOL, I always go commando w/ yoga pants/shorts, no pantylines!

Went to the park, got in some walking and visiting but a snacky lunch leaves me hunger. Too many snacks when we got done and my belly feels icky. I'm having an early very light supper.

Tomorrow is a 2 a day workout day.

I used to be a daily weigher but I found it wasn't helpful for me anymore, I'm not certain what I'm going to do once I go back to maintenance. I want to put on some more muscle so I'll likely go up a bit in weight but I want to keep an eye on it b/c maintenance has been very difficult since this last baby and developing thyroid disease, I'm really hoping I'm finally going to get it down.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wintermom said:

I finally got my normal username back again! It's good to see you all again, the new faces and the old ones. 

I've been doing my best to stay active in spite of some crazy weather happening here (ice storm, snow, rain). I got in a walk with my friend this afternoon. We typically get in about 4 miles in 1.5 hours, and manage to run a couple errands on route. All this while our dc are in band. It's like hitting 3 birds with one stone! 

I've also been going to the gym to work on upper body strength and core strength. My injured hamstring is healing well, but still no running for me (and outdoor tennis isn't happening yet because of the crazy weather). The most annoying part of the injury now  is that pain radiates down my leg to my knee when I drive. And I have to drive a lot. I'm the family taxi service. I've been cutting back as much as possible, though, and getting dd to drive (though I still have to be in the car). 

You're BACK!!

I can't believe your hamstring is still bothering you from that crazy freak accident, how crazy, and I'm sorry to hear about the weather, I know you must be missing your exercise. Have you seen anyone about the injury? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, soror said:

You're BACK!!

I can't believe your hamstring is still bothering you from that crazy freak accident, how crazy, and I'm sorry to hear about the weather, I know you must be missing your exercise. Have you seen anyone about the injury? 

 

Thanks. It's good to be back.  Yes, I'm getting older, so it takes longer for bounce back from anything. I don't bounce so good anymore. I didn't even bounce when I landed after the fall from the wall. ;)

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wintermom said:

 

Thanks. It's good to be back.  Yes, I'm getting older, so it takes longer for bounce back from anything. I don't bounce so good anymore. I didn't even bounce when I landed after the fall from the wall. ;)

:( That sucks and is really unfair for how active you are, I guess it would be even worse if you weren't.

 

Killer workout this am, we hit all the muscles. I've got deadlifts, bench press, and pull-ups planned for tonight, we'll see how that goes.

I moved up to weighted lunges, first 10# dumbbells, then 15#, and lastly 20#. 20# was my goal and I did it.

We also did 100 squats, 3 sets each of military presses, chest flys, tricep pull-downs, lat pull-downs, rows. 1 set of good mornings, leg raises, and inverted rows.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm back. I couldn't login and I think I ended up logging in differently, but at least I'm here.

I was on vacation for 2 weeks in the Dominican and did pretty good. It was so hot and humid that I was a lot less active than I'd planned. I couldn't run more than 5km and even that was a serious challenge. I ran 5 times and I worked out at the gym three times. I was about 80% compliant in terms of eating and I thoroughly enjoyed the 20% that I wasn't. I found a new drink - gin and soda water with lime. I use to drink gin and tonics (a long, long time ago), but tonic water is high in carbs. I actually really liked the gin and soda - light and refreshing. I enjoyed some wine as well. I splurged and had some pina coladas, but not too many. I couldn't believe how sweet they tasted. 

Even though I felt I wasn't terrible on vacation, I was up 10 pounds. I am an expert at gaining weight. I know a lot of it was water. I was noticeably retaining water while we were there - I had to take my wedding ring off. I'm not upset about the gain but am working now to get down. I'm about 3 lbs off from what I was before we left now.

I'm at the gym three times this week. Yesterday was my second day and I had a new personal best with the deadlift - 255 lbs for one rep! Crazy. 

Running is going really well. I'm getting faster ;) 

This is a stressful time - we are moving across the country. My dd graduates from university, my son graduates from high school. My daughter is getting married in July and we are driving from one end of the country to the other. Kids are stressed. I am stressed. I am not good about eating when stressed so I'm trying to concentrate on alternatives. Today I wanted to go out and buy ice cream but I had eggs with sausage and cheese instead and then made myself a keto dessert. 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SarahCB said:

I'm back. I couldn't login and I think I ended up logging in differently, but at least I'm here.

I was on vacation for 2 weeks in the Dominican and did pretty good. It was so hot and humid that I was a lot less active than I'd planned. I couldn't run more than 5km and even that was a serious challenge. I ran 5 times and I worked out at the gym three times. I was about 80% compliant in terms of eating and I thoroughly enjoyed the 20% that I wasn't. I found a new drink - gin and soda water with lime. I use to drink gin and tonics (a long, long time ago), but tonic water is high in carbs. I actually really liked the gin and soda - light and refreshing. I enjoyed some wine as well. I splurged and had some pina coladas, but not too many. I couldn't believe how sweet they tasted. 

Even though I felt I wasn't terrible on vacation, I was up 10 pounds. I am an expert at gaining weight. I know a lot of it was water. I was noticeably retaining water while we were there - I had to take my wedding ring off. I'm not upset about the gain but am working now to get down. I'm about 3 lbs off from what I was before we left now.

I'm at the gym three times this week. Yesterday was my second day and I had a new personal best with the deadlift - 255 lbs for one rep! Crazy. 

Running is going really well. I'm getting faster ;) 

This is a stressful time - we are moving across the country. My dd graduates from university, my son graduates from high school. My daughter is getting married in July and we are driving from one end of the country to the other. Kids are stressed. I am stressed. I am not good about eating when stressed so I'm trying to concentrate on alternatives. Today I wanted to go out and buy ice cream but I had eggs with sausage and cheese instead and then made myself a keto dessert. 

 

Sarah, your back too. I was wondering if you were on vacation. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. That sounds like a bucketload of stress, be gentle on your stress, just do the best you can. 

Holy cow, your kicking butt on you're deadlifts sister!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went for a 4 mile walk with my friend yesterday, and I went to the gym today. Worked on upper body strength, core strength and leg strength and balance. I used one of those balance boards with the half ball on one side. They are pretty fun! I've been working on it for a couple weeks and I've noticed an improvement already. To start with I couldn't even stop the board from shaking. Now I can balance on one leg and do a side kick and front kick in slow motion and faster motion. I've added in some single-leg squats or dips. It doesn't seem like I'm doing that much, but when I get off the board I can really feel it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should get a good workout this weekend, going camping with DS's cub scout pack. There will be a hike. Hopefully I don't exacerbate the plantar fasciitis that has started resolving itself (down to dull ache when walking instead of significant pain).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ravin said:

I should get a good workout this weekend, going camping with DS's cub scout pack. There will be a hike. Hopefully I don't exacerbate the plantar fasciitis that has started resolving itself (down to dull ache when walking instead of significant pain).

Ouch! That can be really painful. How are you managing it? 

I deal with PF on and off during tennis season. Some things that help are to ensure I have footwear that offers really good support, and wear it all the time when I'm on my feet. Massaging the sole of my foot with a roller or tennis ball is helpful, too. NSAID can help with the pain, too. Etiher pill or topical.

All the best on your hike!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ravin have fun this weekend, I always come back utterly exhausted from camp-outs.

@wintermom sounds like your having fun playing around, I've not messed w/ those things much but working out w/ my friend she likes to do exercises on the big exercise ball

 

We went walking this afternoon, got in 1.5 miles, planned for 2 but there was all sorts of drama. 8yo dd had a huge crash and got road rash, I ended up carrying her 50# butt for about 1/10 of a mile, then 5yo dd had a bike wreck, I ended up carrying her ALL the way up the very long big hill. Thank goodness for weight training it didn't totally scorch my legs. 

Another bad ass workout this evening. I love that I'm finally getting some gains (not sure if that is b/c my thyroid is much better than before or b/c I upped intake a bit, but it is awesome. Bench up to 70# on my last set, no increase on my deadlifts (125# STILL) but they felt good, Squats again at 100#. 

I've been playing around w/ some bodyweight/yoga work at the end of my lifting sessions and am really enjoying it, hoping to get a really good session in this weekend, I'm anxious to see if there is any crossover w/ my strength training. Had a good talk w/ a guy lifting too, evidently he used to train there, and seemed to know his sh*t, he volunteered to critique my form or watch me do a power clean but I didn't have the guts (there was some hs boys back there at the time too which didn't incline me to want to try anyway). Feeling strong but happy for a rest day tomorrow, it'll be crazy, more testing to do w/ ds and frantic house cleaning for dd's bday party in the evening. Hoping to squeeze in a walk, it is so much easier when it is warm enough in the morning but that doesn't look like it is going to happen.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rowed for an hour in the middle of the afternoon today. I had a bunch of stuff this morning, and even more later in the afternoon and evening,  so that was the only time I had to get it done. I was pretty happy that I rowed because usually if I don’t do it first thing, it doesn’t get done. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, PinkTulip said:

I rowed for an hour in the middle of the afternoon today. I had a bunch of stuff this morning, and even more later in the afternoon and evening,  so that was the only time I had to get it done. I was pretty happy that I rowed because usually if I don’t do it first thing, it doesn’t get done. 

You're a star! How do you row for this long and not lose your mind? I find it so boring, and I'm constantly banging my knees with the "oars." Some tips would be great, as it is wonderful exercise. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wintermom said:

You're a star! How do you row for this long and not lose your mind? I find it so boring, and I'm constantly banging my knees with the "oars." Some tips would be great, as it is wonderful exercise. 

Really, the ONLY way I can do it is if I’m watching a good show on TV. I find a show or series that I like and then tell myself I can only watch it if I’m on the rowing machine. So far, I’ve rowed through all of Downton Abbey, Poldark, several seasons of Survivor and the Amazing Race, The Series of Unfortunate Events, and this week I started Lost in Space. (What weird and diverse taste I have!) I just need something with a good story line that keeps me engaged and the time flies by. 

Otherwise, I would only last for maybe 10 minutes max. 

As far as form goes, there are some good videos demonstrating things in slower steps on the Concept2 website. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-04-18 at 10:25 AM, soror said:

 

Heavy lifting in the evening. Lifting felt great, I got triple digits on my squat, 100# back squat, woot! Then did shoulder press(45#) and tbar rows(85#). Totally changed my plan but the power rack was busy when I got there. I'm feeling sore this mornign, hopefully not a bad sore. Probably the stupid HIIT stuff, going too fast, messing up form.

I had some yummy ribs for supper, the birthday girl's choice. Today I'm having some bday cake, dd slaved over it and it looks delicious.

 

That's awesome! I've never done a back squat, but I love watching people do them - pretty serious looking lift!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PinkTulip said:

I rowed for an hour in the middle of the afternoon today. I had a bunch of stuff this morning, and even more later in the afternoon and evening,  so that was the only time I had to get it done. I was pretty happy that I rowed because usually if I don’t do it first thing, it doesn’t get done. 

 

Nice work! I know what you mean about things not happening if they don't happen first thing in the morning. Good for you for getting it done in the middle of a busy day!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started out on the rowing machine this morning but just wasn’t feeling it, so I went out walking through the neighborhoods for 45 minutes instead. It’s still quite chilly today, but supposed to be 65 tomorrow, so maybe there is the hope that spring may actually come this year!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exercised and had another good eating/food day.  Now the weekend is upon us.....I never do very well with food goals on the weekend which always sets me back some.  But, on the other hand, I think by not doing so great with food on the weekend, it may help prevent me from binging (i have a history of BED).  But it is still frustrating when I am trying so hard to lose these last 20-25 pounds.  I am not sure what the answer is, or if there is even an answer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

Exercised and had another good eating/food day.  Now the weekend is upon us.....I never do very well with food goals on the weekend which always sets me back some.  But, on the other hand, I think by not doing so great with food on the weekend, it may help prevent me from binging (i have a history of BED).  But it is still frustrating when I am trying so hard to lose these last 20-25 pounds.  I am not sure what the answer is, or if there is even an answer.

Maybe adjust your goals on the weekend OR adjust your goals through the week so you don't feel the need to splurge so much on the weekend?

On 4/20/2018 at 5:15 AM, SarahCB said:

 

That's awesome! I've never done a back squat, but I love watching people do them - pretty serious looking lift!

Interesting, I assumed you did with your other lifts. Do you do different kinds of squats?

As expected yesterday was busy for me, no official walk. And I enjoyed some of the birthday cake, oh my, it was incredible, best gf cake I've ever had. I *think* I'm skipping the gym this weekend and going to work on bodyweight work at home- push-ups, pull-ups, l-sit, handstands, and pistol squats. I'm not sure if I'll get it in today or tomorrow b/c dd1 had a guest last night and I'm taking her shopping today so it depends on how early I motivate. 

eta: Got my bodyweight work done, went w/ a streamlined version of Integral Strength ( a program from GMB I worked on last year)- I did 3 rounds of:

chin-ups; push-ups; pistol squats; and l-sits

I skipped hand-stands b/c I wasn't in the mood. I rewatched progression videos for push-ups and found the perfect one for where I'm at. I've been working on improving my form (keeping my elbows in closer) and I can go down good but it gets a bit ugly on the way up, well one of the progressions is to go down from the toes, Then lower the knees and push-up, brilliant! On chin-ups I can pull-up from standing on a crate and then work on doing nice and slow w/ the negative. Those really felt good, I could feel my lat engagement better than ever, so I'm thinking my pull- work is paying off. L-sits sucked but I've not worked on them in ages. I'm thinking I'm going to try and throw this into my Tues/Thurs days, what I can in the am w/ Mom and then the other stuff after lifting in the evening.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a good first week with NRFL4W.  I'm going too heavy on a few things, so I'm dialing it down, but otherwise it felt good. It was hard without being impossible.  When I did squats again on Friday, at 65lbs, I could feel the glues engage.  I was definitely pushing upwards with my hamstrings and glutes with 0 pressure on the back.  I'm getting used to being in the weight room. I realized on Friday that they have the set up for a sit down row, with a bench and foot plates.  On Monday I sat on the floor and did the row (another machine allowed me to adjust the level of the pulley.) The machine was harder to use though. I could not do the same weight. I don't know if the angle was different of what it was, but it was nicer than sitting on the floor. 

I got my orthotics on Thursday (they are custom). I had the molds done for them in Feb, but somehow missed the phone call and message letting me know they were done over a month ago.  When I got measure for them, the guy told me that I had a significant leg length difference, about 1/2 inch. He added 1/4 in to the one side. He said 1/2 is just too much, but thought the 1/4 would help enough.  I'll see how it goes with them.  

I had hoped to also do 2 days of cardio along with 3 days of lifting.  I did do some HIIT work after lifting twice this week, and I had thought to hit the gym this weekend for some lower intensity cardio, but I don't have the time.  Instead, this morning, before errands, I did 60 mins of yoga. Every time I do yoga, I think how good it feels and that I should practice it more. Maybe I will work that into my schedule instead of the cardio workouts.  It won't burn the calories the same, but I think it could be more beneficial.  I also took a 30 mins walk while my son was at his piano practice.  Got it in before the rain hit.  The rest of my day is for school work. I have a lot to do.  

@PinkTulip, I love the rowing machine. I've been doing my HIIT on it.  I may start warming up on it as well. 

@wintermom, I watched a bunch on online videos to learn how to do the rowing. Tall guy rowing (???I think that's it, or something like that.  Sure it would come up with google) Had a lot of good tips.  It also helped just to watch different people row.  I don't do all the way forward, so I don't hit my knees, if that makes sense. My hips are too tight to get that close.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, soror said:

Maybe adjust your goals on the weekend OR adjust your goals through the week so you don't feel the need to splurge so much on the weekend?

Interesting, I assumed you did with your other lifts. Do you do different kinds of squats?

As expected yesterday was busy for me, no official walk. And I enjoyed some of the birthday cake, oh my, it was incredible, best gf cake I've ever had. I *think* I'm skipping the gym this weekend and going to work on bodyweight work at home- push-ups, pull-ups, l-sit, handstands, and pistol squats. I'm not sure if I'll get it in today or tomorrow b/c dd1 had a guest last night and I'm taking her shopping today so it depends on how early I motivate. 

eta: Got my bodyweight work done, went w/ a streamlined version of Integral Strength ( a program from GMB I worked on last year)- I did 3 rounds of:

chin-ups; push-ups; pistol squats; and l-sits

I skipped hand-stands b/c I wasn't in the mood. I rewatched progression videos for push-ups and found the perfect one for where I'm at. I've been working on improving my form (keeping my elbows in closer) and I can go down good but it gets a bit ugly on the way up, well one of the progressions is to go down from the toes, Then lower the knees and push-up, brilliant! On chin-ups I can pull-up from standing on a crate and then work on doing nice and slow w/ the negative. Those really felt good, I could feel my lat engagement better than ever, so I'm thinking my pull- work is paying off. L-sits sucked but I've not worked on them in ages. I'm thinking I'm going to try and throw this into my Tues/Thurs days, what I can in the am w/ Mom and then the other stuff after lifting in the evening.

 

Sounds like you're making great progress! 

I asked my trainer about those squats and we're going to start working on them. I do a ton of rear-leg elevated split squats with dumb bells as well as goblet squats. I wonder if we didn't work on the other ones earlier because of back and shoulder issues? I had some back and shoulder pain in September that set me back for a while. I didn't run for weeks and we had to train really carefully at the gym. I took a break from deadlifts and couldn't do anything that bothered my shoulder. I'm much better now. My back rarely ever bothers me. My shoulder, however, is easily aggravated so I have to be really careful with my form. 

Yesterday was a gym day and I benched 95 lbs for one rep. I was at 75 for 5 reps in January. 

Had a great 12 km run this morning with my running group. I'm so thankful the snow is gone. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got in a lot of walking throughout the day today, and now I'm tired.

Tomorrow is my first outdoor tennis game of the new season! I'm so excited to get out on the court again!! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, soror said:

Maybe adjust your goals on the weekend OR adjust your goals through the week so you don't feel the need to splurge so much on the weekend?

 

You have summed it up well and I appreciate it.  Instead of fighting it and feeling like a failure at the end of every weekend, I need to adjust my weekend goals.  I think that is the better fit for me of the two very good suggestions you had.  So now I will figure out what goals will be good for the weekend.  Thank you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had good workouts on Thursday and Friday, but today I went orienteering with a good friend.  

It was a lot of fun!  We weren't doing it as a race, like some people there; we were just working on our map and compass skills, which we discovered are seriously lacking!  It is amazing how being off by a couple of degrees on your compass reading results in begin 100yds off the mark.  And then figuring out if we were too far east/west/north/south was daunting.  But we finished the course and found all the checkpoints in order in just over 2 hours.    So, a win for us.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SarahCB said:

 

Sounds like you're making great progress! 

I asked my trainer about those squats and we're going to start working on them. I do a ton of rear-leg elevated split squats with dumb bells as well as goblet squats. I wonder if we didn't work on the other ones earlier because of back and shoulder issues? I had some back and shoulder pain in September that set me back for a while. I didn't run for weeks and we had to train really carefully at the gym. I took a break from deadlifts and couldn't do anything that bothered my shoulder. I'm much better now. My back rarely ever bothers me. My shoulder, however, is easily aggravated so I have to be really careful with my form. 

Yesterday was a gym day and I benched 95 lbs for one rep. I was at 75 for 5 reps in January. 

Had a great 12 km run this morning with my running group. I'm so thankful the snow is gone. 

 

Good luck w/ the back squat, I bet you'll do well with it. My right shoulder can be touchy but it's not caused me any issue w/ squatting. Awesome on your bench, I've just started sets of 70, I'm dreaming I might get one for 90# by my b-day at the end of June, that's probably very optimisitc :) Lifting has really helped my shoulder, I did more push-ups and chin-ups than I have in months yesterday and I've got no pain, maybe I'll finally get past my plateau without injuring myself.

@Kim in Appalachia Glad you are enjoying the lifting, kudos to you for already feeling at home there, it took me a bit. There are so many different types of rows and they are all a bit different. My bent over row is similar to the seated low row but both are less than the tbar row. Tbars my favorite b/c I feel like I maintain form better and with my shoulder issues the single arm rows are problematic. 

@peacelovehomeschooling best wishes figuring out your new goals and remember you can always tweak some more if your new goals aren't working.

@jen3kids that sounds like fun, I've only done a bit of that w/ Scouts but really need to do more.

Yesterday I took dd shopping, I came home exhausted but didn't sleep well, sigh. Today I'm totally chilling, it is a rest day for strength training and it is supposed to cold and rainy all day, I'm staying inside. I think I'm going to watch some movies and be lazy b/c tomorrow starts another busy week (after that things should calm down until fil passes).

Oh, and I got me some new clothes, 2 dresses I absolutely love, I wore the denim shirt dress to church last night. 2 pairs of shorts, some tshirts, a couple dress shirts, another new workout shirt (I'm addicted) and even a couple of bras. Oh, and at Goodwill, I found some athletic workout skorts, I don't know that I'd wear them to lift b/c it seems like they would rise up trying to squat but I think I'll like them for summer heat. I'm so excited to have some more clothes that fit properly

2 wks until dh and I do challenge course training for Scouts, eek. I'm nervous, it is zip lines, climbing walls, crawling through tunnels and all sorts of stuff. Then a month after that we're doing rock climbing training, I'm very glad to be working on my strength now and I hope that it isn't too high intensity.

Hope you ladies have a good Sunday!

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I completed my bucket list half marathon and I thought all would be good but now I got the crazy notion that I want to complete a full marathon.  Crazy, right?! I think, maybe.?

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lynn said:

So I completed my bucket list half marathon and I thought all would be good but now I got the crazy notion that I want to complete a full marathon.  Crazy, right?! I think, maybe.?

 

:D You've been bitten by the bug. 

Wait a couple of weeks, and if you still feel that way find one to sign up for that will really motivate you. 

Congrats on the half.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got in my first outdoor tennis match of the season!!! It was fun, though tiring and a little frustrating as my play wasn't great. It's been far too long since I've hit some balls, and the wind messes with one's timing for hitting the ball outside. My hamstring held out alright. It's sunny and warm, which is a big switch from this time last week with our ice storm. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, soror said:

 

Oh, and I got me some new clothes, 2 dresses I absolutely love, I wore the denim shirt dress to church last night. 2 pairs of shorts, some tshirts, a couple dress shirts, another new workout shirt (I'm addicted) and even a couple of bras. Oh, and at Goodwill, I found some athletic workout skorts, I don't know that I'd wear them to lift b/c it seems like they would rise up trying to squat but I think I'll like them for summer heat. I'm so excited to have some more clothes that fit properly

2 wks until dh and I do challenge course training for Scouts, eek. I'm nervous, it is zip lines, climbing walls, crawling through tunnels and all sorts of stuff. Then a month after that we're doing rock climbing training, I'm very glad to be working on my strength now and I hope that it isn't too high intensity.

Hope you ladies have a good Sunday!

 

 

Yay - new clothes! I'll live vicariously through you as I bought too much last year so really don't need anything new at all. 

I'm impressed with the challenge course training. That sounds - challenging! I bet you'll be great!

Today was supposed to be a rest day, but it's so sunny and beautiful outside that I decided to go for a run. I ran my favourite trail around a lake and by a creek. It was so nice to be out on the trails again and out in the sunshine. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I got in my first outdoor tennis match of the season!!! It was fun, though tiring and a little frustrating as my play wasn't great. It's been far too long since I've hit some balls, and the wind messes with one's timing for hitting the ball outside. My hamstring held out alright. It's sunny and warm, which is a big switch from this time last week with our ice storm. 

Glad your hamstring held out. I'm sure it won't take long before you're playing more like yourself again. Isn't it nice to be outside in the sun? I may actually switch over to summer tires soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...