Menu

Well-Trained Bodies- April Edition

Soror

Did my rowing this morning for an hour, and today started to add in my strength exercises again.  It's a little disheartening to see how much I have lost from when I was doing strength stuff before, but encouraging to have a goal to work back up to.  I know that if I could do it before, I can definitely do it again!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Oh ladies, I forgot to share my big news.  I finally decided to put my faith in my running shorts with built-in liner and I went commando underneath.  Everything worked great and there was significantly less need for mid-run pinches or tugs to rearrange wandering fabric.  Hooray!  LOL

Honestly, I have the hardest time doing that!  My dd thinks I'm nuts - she does it all the time and thinks I'm weird for wearing undies with either my spandex or running shorts.  

But you're right, too many layers leads to lots of 'tugs to rearrange wandering fabric'!

• Like 4

I just finished reading The Economists' Diet by Christopher Payne and Rob Barnett--two economists. I like to read books like this as a little "pep talk" to keep me motivated to eat right. Their approach, supposedly based on economic principles, recommends 6 core habits: 1) weigh yourself everyday 2) Eat one square meal a day (and 2 small meals) 3) Be calorie conscious (but not a calorie counter) 4) don't waste money on fad diets or diet food 5) Limit variety in your diet 6) Adopt a mini-feast/mini-fast lifestyle.

There's some good stuff there. I'm a new convert this year to daily weigh-ins with a digital scale and I think it does help. Sometimes I thought their advice was too male, like the assumption that everyone eats out a lot or that weight fluctuations always reflect what you ate the day before. But overall it was a good reminder of helpful habits.

• Like 1

I finally got my normal username back again! It's good to see you all again, the new faces and the old ones. 

I've been doing my best to stay active in spite of some crazy weather happening here (ice storm, snow, rain). I got in a walk with my friend this afternoon. We typically get in about 4 miles in 1.5 hours, and manage to run a couple errands on route. All this while our dc are in band. It's like hitting 3 birds with one stone! 

I've also been going to the gym to work on upper body strength and core strength. My injured hamstring is healing well, but still no running for me (and outdoor tennis isn't happening yet because of the crazy weather). The most annoying part of the injury now  is that pain radiates down my leg to my knee when I drive. And I have to drive a lot. I'm the family taxi service. I've been cutting back as much as possible, though, and getting dd to drive (though I still have to be in the car). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SparklyUnicorn said:

Ok this might be the strangest "complaint" of all time, but lately I have too much energy. 

I almost feel hyper or something.  I don't know what to make of it.

Please share the wealth! I was so tired I went to be at 8pm last night and slept 11 hours. I didn't even brush my teeth. I'm blaming my allergy meds.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Oh ladies, I forgot to share my big news.  I finally decided to put my faith in my running shorts with built-in liner and I went commando underneath.  Everything worked great and there was significantly less need for mid-run pinches or tugs to rearrange wandering fabric.  Hooray!  LOL

LOL, I always go commando w/ yoga pants/shorts, no pantylines!

Went to the park, got in some walking and visiting but a snacky lunch leaves me hunger. Too many snacks when we got done and my belly feels icky. I'm having an early very light supper.

Tomorrow is a 2 a day workout day.

I used to be a daily weigher but I found it wasn't helpful for me anymore, I'm not certain what I'm going to do once I go back to maintenance. I want to put on some more muscle so I'll likely go up a bit in weight but I want to keep an eye on it b/c maintenance has been very difficult since this last baby and developing thyroid disease, I'm really hoping I'm finally going to get it down.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

I finally got my normal username back again! It's good to see you all again, the new faces and the old ones. 

I've been doing my best to stay active in spite of some crazy weather happening here (ice storm, snow, rain). I got in a walk with my friend this afternoon. We typically get in about 4 miles in 1.5 hours, and manage to run a couple errands on route. All this while our dc are in band. It's like hitting 3 birds with one stone! 

I've also been going to the gym to work on upper body strength and core strength. My injured hamstring is healing well, but still no running for me (and outdoor tennis isn't happening yet because of the crazy weather). The most annoying part of the injury now  is that pain radiates down my leg to my knee when I drive. And I have to drive a lot. I'm the family taxi service. I've been cutting back as much as possible, though, and getting dd to drive (though I still have to be in the car). 

You're BACK!!

I can't believe your hamstring is still bothering you from that crazy freak accident, how crazy, and I'm sorry to hear about the weather, I know you must be missing your exercise. Have you seen anyone about the injury? 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, soror said:

You're BACK!!

I can't believe your hamstring is still bothering you from that crazy freak accident, how crazy, and I'm sorry to hear about the weather, I know you must be missing your exercise. Have you seen anyone about the injury? 

Thanks. It's good to be back.  Yes, I'm getting older, so it takes longer for bounce back from anything. I don't bounce so good anymore. I didn't even bounce when I landed after the fall from the wall. ;)

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Thanks. It's good to be back.  Yes, I'm getting older, so it takes longer for bounce back from anything. I don't bounce so good anymore. I didn't even bounce when I landed after the fall from the wall. ;)

:( That sucks and is really unfair for how active you are, I guess it would be even worse if you weren't.

Killer workout this am, we hit all the muscles. I've got deadlifts, bench press, and pull-ups planned for tonight, we'll see how that goes.

I moved up to weighted lunges, first 10# dumbbells, then 15#, and lastly 20#. 20# was my goal and I did it.

We also did 100 squats, 3 sets each of military presses, chest flys, tricep pull-downs, lat pull-downs, rows. 1 set of good mornings, leg raises, and inverted rows.

• Like 3

I'm back. I couldn't login and I think I ended up logging in differently, but at least I'm here.

I was on vacation for 2 weeks in the Dominican and did pretty good. It was so hot and humid that I was a lot less active than I'd planned. I couldn't run more than 5km and even that was a serious challenge. I ran 5 times and I worked out at the gym three times. I was about 80% compliant in terms of eating and I thoroughly enjoyed the 20% that I wasn't. I found a new drink - gin and soda water with lime. I use to drink gin and tonics (a long, long time ago), but tonic water is high in carbs. I actually really liked the gin and soda - light and refreshing. I enjoyed some wine as well. I splurged and had some pina coladas, but not too many. I couldn't believe how sweet they tasted. 

Even though I felt I wasn't terrible on vacation, I was up 10 pounds. I am an expert at gaining weight. I know a lot of it was water. I was noticeably retaining water while we were there - I had to take my wedding ring off. I'm not upset about the gain but am working now to get down. I'm about 3 lbs off from what I was before we left now.

I'm at the gym three times this week. Yesterday was my second day and I had a new personal best with the deadlift - 255 lbs for one rep! Crazy. 

Running is going really well. I'm getting faster ;) 

This is a stressful time - we are moving across the country. My dd graduates from university, my son graduates from high school. My daughter is getting married in July and we are driving from one end of the country to the other. Kids are stressed. I am stressed. I am not good about eating when stressed so I'm trying to concentrate on alternatives. Today I wanted to go out and buy ice cream but I had eggs with sausage and cheese instead and then made myself a keto dessert. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, SarahCB said:

I'm back. I couldn't login and I think I ended up logging in differently, but at least I'm here.

I was on vacation for 2 weeks in the Dominican and did pretty good. It was so hot and humid that I was a lot less active than I'd planned. I couldn't run more than 5km and even that was a serious challenge. I ran 5 times and I worked out at the gym three times. I was about 80% compliant in terms of eating and I thoroughly enjoyed the 20% that I wasn't. I found a new drink - gin and soda water with lime. I use to drink gin and tonics (a long, long time ago), but tonic water is high in carbs. I actually really liked the gin and soda - light and refreshing. I enjoyed some wine as well. I splurged and had some pina coladas, but not too many. I couldn't believe how sweet they tasted. 

Even though I felt I wasn't terrible on vacation, I was up 10 pounds. I am an expert at gaining weight. I know a lot of it was water. I was noticeably retaining water while we were there - I had to take my wedding ring off. I'm not upset about the gain but am working now to get down. I'm about 3 lbs off from what I was before we left now.

I'm at the gym three times this week. Yesterday was my second day and I had a new personal best with the deadlift - 255 lbs for one rep! Crazy. 

Running is going really well. I'm getting faster ;) 

This is a stressful time - we are moving across the country. My dd graduates from university, my son graduates from high school. My daughter is getting married in July and we are driving from one end of the country to the other. Kids are stressed. I am stressed. I am not good about eating when stressed so I'm trying to concentrate on alternatives. Today I wanted to go out and buy ice cream but I had eggs with sausage and cheese instead and then made myself a keto dessert. 

Sarah, your back too. I was wondering if you were on vacation. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. That sounds like a bucketload of stress, be gentle on your stress, just do the best you can. 

Holy cow, your kicking butt on you're deadlifts sister!

• Like 1

I went for a 4 mile walk with my friend yesterday, and I went to the gym today. Worked on upper body strength, core strength and leg strength and balance. I used one of those balance boards with the half ball on one side. They are pretty fun! I've been working on it for a couple weeks and I've noticed an improvement already. To start with I couldn't even stop the board from shaking. Now I can balance on one leg and do a side kick and front kick in slow motion and faster motion. I've added in some single-leg squats or dips. It doesn't seem like I'm doing that much, but when I get off the board I can really feel it. 

• Like 1

I should get a good workout this weekend, going camping with DS's cub scout pack. There will be a hike. Hopefully I don't exacerbate the plantar fasciitis that has started resolving itself (down to dull ache when walking instead of significant pain).

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ravin said:

I should get a good workout this weekend, going camping with DS's cub scout pack. There will be a hike. Hopefully I don't exacerbate the plantar fasciitis that has started resolving itself (down to dull ache when walking instead of significant pain).

Ouch! That can be really painful. How are you managing it? 

I deal with PF on and off during tennis season. Some things that help are to ensure I have footwear that offers really good support, and wear it all the time when I'm on my feet. Massaging the sole of my foot with a roller or tennis ball is helpful, too. NSAID can help with the pain, too. Etiher pill or topical.

All the best on your hike!

• Like 2

@Ravin have fun this weekend, I always come back utterly exhausted from camp-outs.

@wintermom sounds like your having fun playing around, I've not messed w/ those things much but working out w/ my friend she likes to do exercises on the big exercise ball

We went walking this afternoon, got in 1.5 miles, planned for 2 but there was all sorts of drama. 8yo dd had a huge crash and got road rash, I ended up carrying her 50# butt for about 1/10 of a mile, then 5yo dd had a bike wreck, I ended up carrying her ALL the way up the very long big hill. Thank goodness for weight training it didn't totally scorch my legs. 

Another bad ass workout this evening. I love that I'm finally getting some gains (not sure if that is b/c my thyroid is much better than before or b/c I upped intake a bit, but it is awesome. Bench up to 70# on my last set, no increase on my deadlifts (125# STILL) but they felt good, Squats again at 100#. 

I've been playing around w/ some bodyweight/yoga work at the end of my lifting sessions and am really enjoying it, hoping to get a really good session in this weekend, I'm anxious to see if there is any crossover w/ my strength training. Had a good talk w/ a guy lifting too, evidently he used to train there, and seemed to know his sh*t, he volunteered to critique my form or watch me do a power clean but I didn't have the guts (there was some hs boys back there at the time too which didn't incline me to want to try anyway). Feeling strong but happy for a rest day tomorrow, it'll be crazy, more testing to do w/ ds and frantic house cleaning for dd's bday party in the evening. Hoping to squeeze in a walk, it is so much easier when it is warm enough in the morning but that doesn't look like it is going to happen.

• Like 2

I rowed for an hour in the middle of the afternoon today. I had a bunch of stuff this morning, and even more later in the afternoon and evening,  so that was the only time I had to get it done. I was pretty happy that I rowed because usually if I don’t do it first thing, it doesn’t get done. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, PinkTulip said:

I rowed for an hour in the middle of the afternoon today. I had a bunch of stuff this morning, and even more later in the afternoon and evening,  so that was the only time I had to get it done. I was pretty happy that I rowed because usually if I don’t do it first thing, it doesn’t get done. 

You're a star! How do you row for this long and not lose your mind? I find it so boring, and I'm constantly banging my knees with the "oars." Some tips would be great, as it is wonderful exercise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

You're a star! How do you row for this long and not lose your mind? I find it so boring, and I'm constantly banging my knees with the "oars." Some tips would be great, as it is wonderful exercise. 

Really, the ONLY way I can do it is if I’m watching a good show on TV. I find a show or series that I like and then tell myself I can only watch it if I’m on the rowing machine. So far, I’ve rowed through all of Downton Abbey, Poldark, several seasons of Survivor and the Amazing Race, The Series of Unfortunate Events, and this week I started Lost in Space. (What weird and diverse taste I have!) I just need something with a good story line that keeps me engaged and the time flies by. 

Otherwise, I would only last for maybe 10 minutes max. 

As far as form goes, there are some good videos demonstrating things in slower steps on the Concept2 website. 

• Like 2

On 2018-04-18 at 10:25 AM, soror said:

Heavy lifting in the evening. Lifting felt great, I got triple digits on my squat, 100# back squat, woot! Then did shoulder press(45#) and tbar rows(85#). Totally changed my plan but the power rack was busy when I got there. I'm feeling sore this mornign, hopefully not a bad sore. Probably the stupid HIIT stuff, going too fast, messing up form.

I had some yummy ribs for supper, the birthday girl's choice. Today I'm having some bday cake, dd slaved over it and it looks delicious.

That's awesome! I've never done a back squat, but I love watching people do them - pretty serious looking lift!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PinkTulip said:

Nice work! I know what you mean about things not happening if they don't happen first thing in the morning. Good for you for getting it done in the middle of a busy day!

• Like 1

I started out on the rowing machine this morning but just wasn’t feeling it, so I went out walking through the neighborhoods for 45 minutes instead. It’s still quite chilly today, but supposed to be 65 tomorrow, so maybe there is the hope that spring may actually come this year!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

Exercised and had another good eating/food day.  Now the weekend is upon us.....I never do very well with food goals on the weekend which always sets me back some.  But, on the other hand, I think by not doing so great with food on the weekend, it may help prevent me from binging (i have a history of BED).  But it is still frustrating when I am trying so hard to lose these last 20-25 pounds.  I am not sure what the answer is, or if there is even an answer.

Maybe adjust your goals on the weekend OR adjust your goals through the week so you don't feel the need to splurge so much on the weekend?

On 4/20/2018 at 5:15 AM, SarahCB said:

That's awesome! I've never done a back squat, but I love watching people do them - pretty serious looking lift!

Interesting, I assumed you did with your other lifts. Do you do different kinds of squats?

As expected yesterday was busy for me, no official walk. And I enjoyed some of the birthday cake, oh my, it was incredible, best gf cake I've ever had. I *think* I'm skipping the gym this weekend and going to work on bodyweight work at home- push-ups, pull-ups, l-sit, handstands, and pistol squats. I'm not sure if I'll get it in today or tomorrow b/c dd1 had a guest last night and I'm taking her shopping today so it depends on how early I motivate. 

eta: Got my bodyweight work done, went w/ a streamlined version of Integral Strength ( a program from GMB I worked on last year)- I did 3 rounds of:

chin-ups; push-ups; pistol squats; and l-sits

I skipped hand-stands b/c I wasn't in the mood. I rewatched progression videos for push-ups and found the perfect one for where I'm at. I've been working on improving my form (keeping my elbows in closer) and I can go down good but it gets a bit ugly on the way up, well one of the progressions is to go down from the toes, Then lower the knees and push-up, brilliant! On chin-ups I can pull-up from standing on a crate and then work on doing nice and slow w/ the negative. Those really felt good, I could feel my lat engagement better than ever, so I'm thinking my pull- work is paying off. L-sits sucked but I've not worked on them in ages. I'm thinking I'm going to try and throw this into my Tues/Thurs days, what I can in the am w/ Mom and then the other stuff after lifting in the evening.

• Like 1

It was a good first week with NRFL4W.  I'm going too heavy on a few things, so I'm dialing it down, but otherwise it felt good. It was hard without being impossible.  When I did squats again on Friday, at 65lbs, I could feel the glues engage.  I was definitely pushing upwards with my hamstrings and glutes with 0 pressure on the back.  I'm getting used to being in the weight room. I realized on Friday that they have the set up for a sit down row, with a bench and foot plates.  On Monday I sat on the floor and did the row (another machine allowed me to adjust the level of the pulley.) The machine was harder to use though. I could not do the same weight. I don't know if the angle was different of what it was, but it was nicer than sitting on the floor. 

I got my orthotics on Thursday (they are custom). I had the molds done for them in Feb, but somehow missed the phone call and message letting me know they were done over a month ago.  When I got measure for them, the guy told me that I had a significant leg length difference, about 1/2 inch. He added 1/4 in to the one side. He said 1/2 is just too much, but thought the 1/4 would help enough.  I'll see how it goes with them.  

I had hoped to also do 2 days of cardio along with 3 days of lifting.  I did do some HIIT work after lifting twice this week, and I had thought to hit the gym this weekend for some lower intensity cardio, but I don't have the time.  Instead, this morning, before errands, I did 60 mins of yoga. Every time I do yoga, I think how good it feels and that I should practice it more. Maybe I will work that into my schedule instead of the cardio workouts.  It won't burn the calories the same, but I think it could be more beneficial.  I also took a 30 mins walk while my son was at his piano practice.  Got it in before the rain hit.  The rest of my day is for school work. I have a lot to do.  

@PinkTulip, I love the rowing machine. I've been doing my HIIT on it.  I may start warming up on it as well. 

@wintermom, I watched a bunch on online videos to learn how to do the rowing. Tall guy rowing (???I think that's it, or something like that.  Sure it would come up with google) Had a lot of good tips.  It also helped just to watch different people row.  I don't do all the way forward, so I don't hit my knees, if that makes sense. My hips are too tight to get that close.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, soror said:

Maybe adjust your goals on the weekend OR adjust your goals through the week so you don't feel the need to splurge so much on the weekend?

Interesting, I assumed you did with your other lifts. Do you do different kinds of squats?

As expected yesterday was busy for me, no official walk. And I enjoyed some of the birthday cake, oh my, it was incredible, best gf cake I've ever had. I *think* I'm skipping the gym this weekend and going to work on bodyweight work at home- push-ups, pull-ups, l-sit, handstands, and pistol squats. I'm not sure if I'll get it in today or tomorrow b/c dd1 had a guest last night and I'm taking her shopping today so it depends on how early I motivate. 

eta: Got my bodyweight work done, went w/ a streamlined version of Integral Strength ( a program from GMB I worked on last year)- I did 3 rounds of:

chin-ups; push-ups; pistol squats; and l-sits

I skipped hand-stands b/c I wasn't in the mood. I rewatched progression videos for push-ups and found the perfect one for where I'm at. I've been working on improving my form (keeping my elbows in closer) and I can go down good but it gets a bit ugly on the way up, well one of the progressions is to go down from the toes, Then lower the knees and push-up, brilliant! On chin-ups I can pull-up from standing on a crate and then work on doing nice and slow w/ the negative. Those really felt good, I could feel my lat engagement better than ever, so I'm thinking my pull- work is paying off. L-sits sucked but I've not worked on them in ages. I'm thinking I'm going to try and throw this into my Tues/Thurs days, what I can in the am w/ Mom and then the other stuff after lifting in the evening.

Sounds like you're making great progress! 

I asked my trainer about those squats and we're going to start working on them. I do a ton of rear-leg elevated split squats with dumb bells as well as goblet squats. I wonder if we didn't work on the other ones earlier because of back and shoulder issues? I had some back and shoulder pain in September that set me back for a while. I didn't run for weeks and we had to train really carefully at the gym. I took a break from deadlifts and couldn't do anything that bothered my shoulder. I'm much better now. My back rarely ever bothers me. My shoulder, however, is easily aggravated so I have to be really careful with my form. 

Yesterday was a gym day and I benched 95 lbs for one rep. I was at 75 for 5 reps in January. 

Had a great 12 km run this morning with my running group. I'm so thankful the snow is gone. 

• Like 2

I had good workouts on Thursday and Friday, but today I went orienteering with a good friend.  

It was a lot of fun!  We weren't doing it as a race, like some people there; we were just working on our map and compass skills, which we discovered are seriously lacking!  It is amazing how being off by a couple of degrees on your compass reading results in begin 100yds off the mark.  And then figuring out if we were too far east/west/north/south was daunting.  But we finished the course and found all the checkpoints in order in just over 2 hours.    So, a win for us.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SarahCB said:

Sounds like you're making great progress! 

I asked my trainer about those squats and we're going to start working on them. I do a ton of rear-leg elevated split squats with dumb bells as well as goblet squats. I wonder if we didn't work on the other ones earlier because of back and shoulder issues? I had some back and shoulder pain in September that set me back for a while. I didn't run for weeks and we had to train really carefully at the gym. I took a break from deadlifts and couldn't do anything that bothered my shoulder. I'm much better now. My back rarely ever bothers me. My shoulder, however, is easily aggravated so I have to be really careful with my form. 

Yesterday was a gym day and I benched 95 lbs for one rep. I was at 75 for 5 reps in January. 

Had a great 12 km run this morning with my running group. I'm so thankful the snow is gone. 

Good luck w/ the back squat, I bet you'll do well with it. My right shoulder can be touchy but it's not caused me any issue w/ squatting. Awesome on your bench, I've just started sets of 70, I'm dreaming I might get one for 90# by my b-day at the end of June, that's probably very optimisitc :) Lifting has really helped my shoulder, I did more push-ups and chin-ups than I have in months yesterday and I've got no pain, maybe I'll finally get past my plateau without injuring myself.

@Kim in Appalachia Glad you are enjoying the lifting, kudos to you for already feeling at home there, it took me a bit. There are so many different types of rows and they are all a bit different. My bent over row is similar to the seated low row but both are less than the tbar row. Tbars my favorite b/c I feel like I maintain form better and with my shoulder issues the single arm rows are problematic. 

@peacelovehomeschooling best wishes figuring out your new goals and remember you can always tweak some more if your new goals aren't working.

@jen3kids that sounds like fun, I've only done a bit of that w/ Scouts but really need to do more.

Yesterday I took dd shopping, I came home exhausted but didn't sleep well, sigh. Today I'm totally chilling, it is a rest day for strength training and it is supposed to cold and rainy all day, I'm staying inside. I think I'm going to watch some movies and be lazy b/c tomorrow starts another busy week (after that things should calm down until fil passes).

Oh, and I got me some new clothes, 2 dresses I absolutely love, I wore the denim shirt dress to church last night. 2 pairs of shorts, some tshirts, a couple dress shirts, another new workout shirt (I'm addicted) and even a couple of bras. Oh, and at Goodwill, I found some athletic workout skorts, I don't know that I'd wear them to lift b/c it seems like they would rise up trying to squat but I think I'll like them for summer heat. I'm so excited to have some more clothes that fit properly

2 wks until dh and I do challenge course training for Scouts, eek. I'm nervous, it is zip lines, climbing walls, crawling through tunnels and all sorts of stuff. Then a month after that we're doing rock climbing training, I'm very glad to be working on my strength now and I hope that it isn't too high intensity.

Hope you ladies have a good Sunday!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lynn said:

So I completed my bucket list half marathon and I thought all would be good but now I got the crazy notion that I want to complete a full marathon.  Crazy, right?! I think, maybe.?

:D You've been bitten by the bug. 

Wait a couple of weeks, and if you still feel that way find one to sign up for that will really motivate you. 

Congrats on the half.  

• Like 1

I got in my first outdoor tennis match of the season!!! It was fun, though tiring and a little frustrating as my play wasn't great. It's been far too long since I've hit some balls, and the wind messes with one's timing for hitting the ball outside. My hamstring held out alright. It's sunny and warm, which is a big switch from this time last week with our ice storm. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, soror said:

Oh, and I got me some new clothes, 2 dresses I absolutely love, I wore the denim shirt dress to church last night. 2 pairs of shorts, some tshirts, a couple dress shirts, another new workout shirt (I'm addicted) and even a couple of bras. Oh, and at Goodwill, I found some athletic workout skorts, I don't know that I'd wear them to lift b/c it seems like they would rise up trying to squat but I think I'll like them for summer heat. I'm so excited to have some more clothes that fit properly

2 wks until dh and I do challenge course training for Scouts, eek. I'm nervous, it is zip lines, climbing walls, crawling through tunnels and all sorts of stuff. Then a month after that we're doing rock climbing training, I'm very glad to be working on my strength now and I hope that it isn't too high intensity.

Hope you ladies have a good Sunday!

Yay - new clothes! I'll live vicariously through you as I bought too much last year so really don't need anything new at all. 

I'm impressed with the challenge course training. That sounds - challenging! I bet you'll be great!

Today was supposed to be a rest day, but it's so sunny and beautiful outside that I decided to go for a run. I ran my favourite trail around a lake and by a creek. It was so nice to be out on the trails again and out in the sunshine. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I got in my first outdoor tennis match of the season!!! It was fun, though tiring and a little frustrating as my play wasn't great. It's been far too long since I've hit some balls, and the wind messes with one's timing for hitting the ball outside. My hamstring held out alright. It's sunny and warm, which is a big switch from this time last week with our ice storm. 

Glad your hamstring held out. I'm sure it won't take long before you're playing more like yourself again. Isn't it nice to be outside in the sun? I may actually switch over to summer tires soon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lynn said:

So I completed my bucket list half marathon and I thought all would be good but now I got the crazy notion that I want to complete a full marathon.  Crazy, right?! I think, maybe.?

Congratulations on the half! You have to at least try a full marathon. It's not nearly as fun as the half, though. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SarahCB said:

Glad your hamstring held out. I'm sure it won't take long before you're playing more like yourself again. Isn't it nice to be outside in the sun? I may actually switch over to summer tires soon.

We put on our summer tires before the ice storm last weekend. Who was expecting that much snow and freezing rain in mid-April? 

• Like 3

What are some ways that help you stay motivated?  I will go full force for 2 to 3 weeks at a time, lose 3-6 pounds, then lose my motivation for a few weeks, gain a pound or 2 back, then get mad at myself and start the whole process over again.  I just can’t seem to stay on track more than 3 weeks before I lose my motivation.  Any tips?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, LVG said:

What are some ways that help you stay motivated?  I will go full force for 2 to 3 weeks at a time, lose 3-6 pounds, then lose my motivation for a few weeks, gain a pound or 2 back, then get mad at myself and start the whole process over again.  I just can’t seem to stay on track more than 3 weeks before I lose my motivation.  Any tips?

You find a different way of doing it that neither requires you go full force nor needs you to run on motivation. For me, if that’s what’s required, then I will not be successful. The key for me to lose 110-ish pounds was dong so in a way that was so normal, that it was just the way I lived. It was normal. So I kept on because that’s what you do as you live life.

Also, resetting my expectations was key. It is unrealistic to expect that you’ll never gain a pound or two back. If you were to look at my weight loss graph and zoom out so that you could see all four years in one screen, you’d see a downward sloping line. If you zoomed in so that you were looking at a much shorter time frame, you’d see ups and downs. Lose a few, gain some. Lather, rinse repeat.

So, aside from gaining some weight (normal given the fluctations a normal human body goes through), what are you doing that you find hard to keep doing? Have you tried to change too many things at once? What could you tweak a little so that it feels less like “a diet” and more like Tuesday? How does what you were doing to lose weight compare to what was “normal” for you before?

• Like 3

On 4/19/2018 at 3:52 PM, wintermom said:

Ouch! That can be really painful. How are you managing it? 

I deal with PF on and off during tennis season. Some things that help are to ensure I have footwear that offers really good support, and wear it all the time when I'm on my feet. Massaging the sole of my foot with a roller or tennis ball is helpful, too. NSAID can help with the pain, too. Etiher pill or topical.

All the best on your hike!

Careful stretching, limiting how much I  walked on it when it was really painful, icing it, and as I started to recover, walking on uneven/natural surfaces when possible. I wear Lems and go barefoot as much as I can at home. I adjusted my gait to put weight down on the outside and ball of my foot first, rather than heel first.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SarahCB said:

Yay - new clothes! I'll live vicariously through you as I bought too much last year so really don't need anything new at all. 

I'm impressed with the challenge course training. That sounds - challenging! I bet you'll be great!

Today was supposed to be a rest day, but it's so sunny and beautiful outside that I decided to go for a run. I ran my favourite trail around a lake and by a creek. It was so nice to be out on the trails again and out in the sunshine. 

I'm hoping I do ok on the course, I guess I'll find out soon! Soooo jealous of your pretty day, sigh, we've had yucky Sundays over a month straight! Sounds like a beautiful fun.

17 hours ago, lynn said:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

10 hours ago, LVG said:

I'd 100% agree w/ mamaraby, she's been doing this day in and out for years, she knows her stuff. You have to find a way to make it something you stick too, so start smaller, remember you are making changes for life if you want to keep it off so it has to be things you can live with. 

Some ideas:

1) Look at your habits and find one to focus on changing- ie changing what you drink if you drink sweetened drinks, eliminating snacks or switching them to healthier alternatives, change one meal- maybe do salads for lunch

2) Track your food- before figuring out what you need to change maybe just start writing down everything you eat to just get an idea of what you are doing well and what you need to change

3) Look at adding things instead of taking things away- try to increase your veggie, fruit, and water intake- those things will naturally squeeze out less healthy choices

4) Look at adding in movement- start small!!! You don't need to start exercising an hour 5 days a week to be a success, maybe try 10 min a day/ 3 day a week- start with just taking a walk after dinner if you've not been doing anything

BUSY week starting, ugh! Not looking forward to it and I forget we have to do orientation for challenge course training in the city Wed, 1.5 hrs away, one way on top of everything else (so glad I stayed home and was lazy yesterday!). I'd like to get in a walk today but I'm not that optimistic that will happen with all the running and it is STILL raining.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mamaraby said:

You find a different way of doing it that neither requires you go full force nor needs you to run on motivation. For me, if that’s what’s required, then I will not be successful. The key for me to lose 110-ish pounds was dong so in a way that was so normal, that it was just the way I lived. It was normal. So I kept on because that’s what you do as you live life.

Also, resetting my expectations was key. It is unrealistic to expect that you’ll never gain a pound or two back. If you were to look at my weight loss graph and zoom out so that you could see all four years in one screen, you’d see a downward sloping line. If you zoomed in so that you were looking at a much shorter time frame, you’d see ups and downs. Lose a few, gain some. Lather, rinse repeat.

So, aside from gaining some weight (normal given the fluctations a normal human body goes through), what are you doing that you find hard to keep doing? Have you tried to change too many things at once? What could you tweak a little so that it feels less like “a diet” and more like Tuesday? How does what you were doing to lose weight compare to what was “normal” for you before?

I have 2 major weaknesses: coffee with too much creamer (I drink about 3 a day and the amount of creamer is around 120 calories per cup), and evening sweets.  I eat pretty healthy the rest of the day.  If I excercise I can still indulge in these things and lose weight because the rest of my diet is good, but I don’t excercise.  I really struggle with it when I don’t have a set time each day, and I can’t seem to figure out a good time to put it into my routine.  I can’t get up before the kids consistently because my youngest sleeps with us and is usually laying on me, which would result in him waking up.  My days are pretty much the same during the morning hours, so I need to just find a slot within my routine to add excercise in and just make it happen...then stick to it...which again is one of my issues.  Of course I need to also find an alternative to my coffee with creamer!  I mean that is equal to 3 sodas a day!  

14 minutes ago, soror said:

I'm hoping I do ok on the course, I guess I'll find out soon! Soooo jealous of your pretty day, sigh, we've had yucky Sundays over a month straight! Sounds like a beautiful fun.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

I'd 100% agree w/ mamaraby, she's been doing this day in and out for years, she knows her stuff. You have to find a way to make it something you stick too, so start smaller, remember you are making changes for life if you want to keep it off so it has to be things you can live with. 

Some ideas:

1) Look at your habits and find one to focus on changing- ie changing what you drink if you drink sweetened drinks, eliminating snacks or switching them to healthier alternatives, change one meal- maybe do salads for lunch

2) Track your food- before figuring out what you need to change maybe just start writing down everything you eat to just get an idea of what you are doing well and what you need to change

3) Look at adding things instead of taking things away- try to increase your veggie, fruit, and water intake- those things will naturally squeeze out less healthy choices

4) Look at adding in movement- start small!!! You don't need to start exercising an hour 5 days a week to be a success, maybe try 10 min a day/ 3 day a week- start with just taking a walk after dinner if you've not been doing anything

BUSY week starting, ugh! Not looking forward to it and I forget we have to do orientation for challenge course training in the city Wed, 1.5 hrs away, one way on top of everything else (so glad I stayed home and was lazy yesterday!). I'd like to get in a walk today but I'm not that optimistic that will happen with all the running and it is STILL raining.

I do these things, but I just don’t stick with it.  It’s like I lose my motivation after about 3 weeks.  I will change my coffee to black, or drink just 1 with creamer a day, I will track my food, I will add in lots of fruits and veggies...was recently juicing twice a day, I will track steps or excercise...but I’m bad about trying to do that everyday, which I think is where I get off track because I will miss a day and get frustrated with myself.  But with all the other stuff, I do so well and then BAM, I get off track.  I think my main issue is that I don’t feel like I’m seeing results fast enough and then give up.  I only have about 20 to 30 pounds to lose and it just seems to come off so slow! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lynn said:

That's awesome! I did a half-marathon in February and it was fantastic, but I think that's about the right distance for me. I think if you're considering a full marathon then you should definitely go for it. It might be crazy, but it would be a huge accomplishment.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LVG said:

I do these things, but I just don’t stick with it.  It’s like I lose my motivation after about 3 weeks.  I will change my coffee to black, or drink just 1 with creamer a day, I will track my food, I will add in lots of fruits and veggies...was recently juicing twice a day, I will track steps or excercise...but I’m bad about trying to do that everyday, which I think is where I get off track because I will miss a day and get frustrated with myself.  But with all the other stuff, I do so well and then BAM, I get off track.  I think my main issue is that I don’t feel like I’m seeing results fast enough and then give up.  I only have about 20 to 30 pounds to lose and it just seems to come off so slow! 

This is controversial, but if I were you, I'd try fasting. Check out Dr. Fung's book,  The Complete Guide to Fasting: How to Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate Day and Extended Fasting. And here's an article from his website on changing body set weight point. 

• Like 1

Worked out at the gym today. Still no back squat, but I did goblet squats with 65 lbs so that was pretty good. I am flying to our new home today just for a few days. It's a long trip - about 9 hours of air travel so I'm glad I was able to workout first. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SarahCB said:

This is controversial, but if I were you, I'd try fasting. Check out Dr. Fung's book,  The Complete Guide to Fasting: How to Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate Day and Extended Fasting. And here's an article from his website on changing body set weight point. 

I’ve heard of intermittent fasting.  A lady’s husband at DHs office has been doing it and has had amazing results.  I don’t know much about it, so I will have to read check out that book and learn more.  

• Like 1

It was really sunny and warm here, too, today. Supposedly 66 F right now. I went for 2 beautiful hikes in 2 different wooded areas. The best was the trails that are designed for mountain biking. There are all kinds of rocky bridges, log ramps, and hills so it's really interesting. I'd not want to bike there, though.  I like biking with speed and don't want to bother with obstacles. ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LVG said:

I have 2 major weaknesses: coffee with too much creamer (I drink about 3 a day and the amount of creamer is around 120 calories per cup), and evening sweets.  I eat pretty healthy the rest of the day.  If I excercise I can still indulge in these things and lose weight because the rest of my diet is good, but I don’t excercise.  I really struggle with it when I don’t have a set time each day, and I can’t seem to figure out a good time to put it into my routine.  I can’t get up before the kids consistently because my youngest sleeps with us and is usually laying on me, which would result in him waking up.  My days are pretty much the same during the morning hours, so I need to just find a slot within my routine to add excercise in and just make it happen...then stick to it...which again is one of my issues.  Of course I need to also find an alternative to my coffee with creamer!  I mean that is equal to 3 sodas a day!  

Definitely get the body moving. Not only is it wonderful for your health, it gets you out of the kitchen so the food is out of sight and out of mind. Spring is a perfect time to get out walking, hiking, cycling, gardening, etc. Moving the body produces endorphins which make you feel good about yourself.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SarahCB said:

Worked out at the gym today. Still no back squat, but I did goblet squats with 65 lbs so that was pretty good. I am flying to our new home today just for a few days. It's a long trip - about 9 hours of air travel so I'm glad I was able to workout first. 

Hope your flight is a good one. 65# goblet is a lot, I've only done goblet up to 30. My friend told me that people only generally goblet to about 50#, I've not tried it, once I went to the new gym I just started w/ the back squat but I could do higher goblets w/ my Mom at PF, right now we're just working on air squats mostly, working towards 100 in a row.

8 hours ago, LVG said:

Maybe just pick one thing to do. And as far as giving up that is a mental thing- either set an easier goal that you can reach or work on accepting that you will have ups and downs. Everyone has off days, what makes the success is getting right back in there the next day, no one is perfect.

I went to the indoor walking track w/ a friend and got a couple of miles in, woot! Feeling a little less stressed than this am since I got some stuff done on my list.

• Like 4