Menu

what have you noticed about the new forums?

blondeviolin

2 hours ago, ThisIsTheDay said:

Well, I am seeing that odd green color. While it's not attractive, I think of it as a soft olive. 

Question open to anyone - both those who are seeing Tulip's urpy color and the pretty purple - just specify which one you see before answering. All names I mention below should be in this thread on this page for ease of check purposes.

Feel free to answer all, some, or none. Just curious, what background color does madteaparty have on your screen? StellaM? Good Grief? How about the very first post on this page of this thread (too lazy to check user name)? All of those are some shade of green or blue-green for me. Just seeing if it is random or consistent. Are any of the letters showing pretty purple? Blue (might need to describe the shade of blye)? Which "theme" do you have WTM set to? Which platform are you accessing (laptop, mobile)?

9 hours ago, Stacia said:

On my screen, yours is teal. Is that how yours looks to you?

Now I'm wondering about my eyes!!!

Mine is a smidge more blue than what I would call teal (I'd probably call it a dark aqua) but I could see where it could be called teal.  Either way it sounds like on this one we are seeing something close to the same color.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Mine is a smidge more blue than what I would call teal (I'd probably call it a dark aqua) but I could see where it could be called teal.  Either way it sounds like on this one we are seeing something close to the same color.

Yes. I would agree with this, too. And Melissa in Australia's is a much more blue-blue. Kind of a dull blue, not pale, just plain.

24 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Question open to anyone - both those who are seeing Tulip's urpy color and the pretty purple - just specify which one you see before answering. All names I mention below should be in this thread on this page for ease of check purposes.

Feel free to answer all, some, or none. Just curious, what background color does madteaparty have on your screen? StellaM? Good Grief? How about the very first post on this page of this thread (too lazy to check user name)? All of those are some shade of green or blue-green for me. Just seeing if it is random or consistent. Are any of the letters showing pretty purple? Blue (might need to describe the shade of blye)? Which "theme" do you have WTM set to? Which platform are you accessing (laptop, mobile)?

Tulip and madteaparty have the same icky green shade. Twolittleboys is either the same or just a smidge off.  I can't see them at the same time to be 100% certain.

frugalmamatx (the top of the screen) is what I would call a seafoam green

goodgrief is a different shade of green a little darker than what I would call a lime green.

domestic engineer is a nice bright purple

7 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Yes. I would agree with this, too. And Melissa in Australia's is a much more blue-blue. Kind of a dull blue, not pale, just plain.

That's about how I would describe Melissa's too.  Not an easy color to describe.

I'm using the default WTM theme on a desktop.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PinkTulip said:

This is a silly thing, but I don’t like the color of my P for my default picture. I don’t want to post a picture, nor do I have the tech savvy to get one the right size. But my P is kind of a putrid-y, vomitous green color imo. Just about anything else would be great! 

Purple for me too. Let's see how this screenshot looks to you all who see it as green.

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 10.30.15 AM.png

2 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Even though I see PinkTulip's as green on my screen, with your screenshot I see purple. 

1 hour ago, Liz CA said:

The screenshot is definitely purple on my laptop but on Pink's post the dot looks pea green.

That is just weird.

• Like 1

The notification issue is fixed for me now. I emailed support (support@welltrainedmind.com) and they fixed it. I can now subscribe to threads and only get notified here at the site. I don't have to get emails. If you were having that issue, check and see if it's been fixed for you too. If not, I recommend emailing support. They were quick about handling it. I almost didn't contact them because I thought maybe it was done on purpose. Apparently it wasn't.

@Cosmos you were having this problem too, weren't you? Gotta say I love that we can tag people in a post.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Tulip - purple

Stella - dark pink or light purple, not sure what to call it

Melissa - blue

cjzimmer  - teal(ish) or whatever you want to call it

twolittleboys and madteaparty - baby poop - sorry that's how I've always thought of that color :D

The OP (first post) might have changed things since the thread began because I see an avatar. When I first was able to log back in but before adding my avatar mine was blue, the same blue as Melissa's current one.

There are several other colors and shades for people without an avatar. I saw at least one other green and possibly a different shade of blue. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2018 at 4:13 PM, Garga said:

I’ve noticed that instead of seeing just new threads, you see every bit of activity: every like, every time someone posted at all.  That’s kinda weird to me.  

I’ve noticed that when I click on a thread title, it takes me to the bottom of the thread.  It looks like if I click on the dot by the thread title, it’ll take me to the last post I saw in the thread.  That’s nice.  

I’ve noticed that our posts aren’t numbered.  I used to use that to scroll back up to re-read things in threads.

I’ve noticed that it double spaces after enter. (Don’t like that.)

I’ve noticed that my avatar disappeared.  Did everyone’s disappear and some of you have added them back?  Or did those of you with an avatar sign in and it was stll there?  (Where do I go to add in my avatar...off to look...)

These are two features that I don't like. I hope the numbered posts return. If I only get one fixed, that's the one I pick. 

• Like 2

I don't like the spacing either and there doesn't seem to be any way to change it. I don't usually pay attention to post numbers but it was helpful if someone posted a serious issue (like health related or something) and they could easily edit to say Update in Post Number XX.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

I don't like the spacing either and there doesn't seem to be any way to change it. I don't usually pay attention to post numbers but it was helpful if someone posted a serious issue (like health related or something) and they could easily edit to say Update in Post Number XX.

Exactly. 

13 hours ago, Targhee said:

Hmmm... that’s the color I see on your avatar. I wonder what determines which color which individual sees?

I wonder if it the different colors have to do with what WTM server you may be on, or what browser you are using. (I'm too lazy to change browsers and log in again though.)

(Oh, and YAY, Kevin at TWTM magically merged my new account into my real account, now I don't have to be ThisIsTheDay2 with 3 posts any more! I think I tried re-logging in with a different email, so I couldn't get my real account back.)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ThisIsTheDay said:

I wonder if it the different colors have to do with what WTM server you may be on, or what browser you are using.

I logged out (so my view wouldn't be assigned to my account), then checked and the background colors for the letter avatars are the same for me. I use Chrome as my browser. I tried (non-logged in) Firefox and Explorer. I'll try the Edge browser on the laptop another time. I don't use those browsers (pretty much ever) unless I have Chrome issues, but I'm not tech enough to say if the cookies from Chrome could be read by Firefox or Explorer to tell the WTM servers that I'm me without logging in and therefore show me "my" colors.

Thanks to all who have replied to my little survey. It looks like the colors are consistent and that there are definitely two different groups. Still haven't figured out why some people see one and some see another. Weird. But, I probably have already spent too much time pondering this random phenomenon.

21 hours ago, RootAnn said:

. It looks like the colors are consistent and that there are definitely two different groups. Still haven't figured out why some people see one and some see another. Weird. But, I probably have already spent too much time pondering this random phenomenon.

But in this whole "new boards" confusion, this may be the ONE THING that you can figure out, and I just want to know!!!!  ;)

(It does mildly fascinate me though!)

• Like 1

When you go into clubs, and see the massive list of all the clubs (not just your own), you can see avatars of some of the members, even without clicking into it. I'm not so keen on this for the private clubs.

Maybe it was like this before the changes too and I never noticed, but I'm not liking having my private membership be so public.

• Like 3

Well now I’m wondering what color others see for mine! I see a dark dusty rose/mauve. I saw Pink Tulip’s as the pea green color she mentioned. 

Presumably I’m using the default because I’m not techy and not that inclined to mess around to figure it out. But I do want to get a photo on there instead. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Penguin said:

I see Quill as dark dusty rose and Kareni you look not-quite-purple. More like royal blue with a twinge of purple.

4 hours ago, Kareni said:

Your P is not royal blue on my screen.  It's more like a dark periwinkle.

Regards,
Kareni

Yep & yep.

• Like 3

Yeah, I see Kareni as a royal blue with a twinge of purple. I see Penguin as a dark periwinkle or medium blue. 

I see Stacia as a yellow and white stripe with black and white stripes to one side....oh. Nevermind. :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Quill said:

I see a dark dusty rose/mauve.

I agree with this. 

6 hours ago, Penguin said:

I see Quill as dark dusty rose and Kareni you look not-quite-purple. More like royal blue with a twinge of purple. 

I also agree with these. Penguin's is a little more blue than Kareni's.

This reminds me of those games where you have something on your own forehead & keep asking other people questions so you can figure out what the thing on your forehead says. Quite amusing.

I noticed in PMs the other day that when I go to a new message on an existing PM thread, it doesn't take me to the newest message; I have to scroll down to it. Anyone figure out how to get to the newest message (like pushing the circle to the left of the thread gets you to the newest message in a normal thread) in a PM thread?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, hornblower said:

Is there some trick for accessing the clubs? I can see the ones I'm a member of but I get an error page when I click "topics" and I can't seem to post anything. Wanted to share a soup recipe on the veg club....

The clubs are still quirky & not working well.

I think the club owner (Greta?) will need to add a post or topic first & then I think others would be able to. I'm only saying that because somehow I managed to create a second "Topics" category as the club owner for Lit Hub & now others can reply as well as start their own topic threads.

But, like I said, the clubs are still in a very wonky state, imo.

• Like 2

I keep forgetting to note something different about how the "likes" behave on the mobile version of the new forum software vs the old. When I "liked" a post before, the whole thread would reload to reflect it. It would kick me back to the first part of that post. Now, it doesn't even pause. So, it makes liking a little faster and a more seamless experience. That could be good or bad depending on what you think of likes.

:)

19 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Still no emojiis. :(   

I clicked on the little crying thing instead of the little heart thing because I agreed with you about missing the emojis. But I normally would have “liked” your post.

I don’t really like the new “react” thing. I much preferred the old “like” format.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RootAnn said:

I noticed in PMs the other day that when I go to a new message on an existing PM thread, it doesn't take me to the newest message; I have to scroll down to it. Anyone figure out how to get to the newest message (like pushing the circle to the left of the thread gets you to the newest message in a normal thread) in a PM thread?

I’m trying to figure that out, as well.

I lost my identity!  Seriously.  I was Saddlemomma and now I'm Saddlemomma2...FYI-there's only one of me.  In the process (tech guys were great though), I also lost my profile picture. Now that could be a positive because I could change it.  Hmmm...what to change it too....

I also liked having my preferences set to showing "New Content" when I opened the Forums.  Now I have to go down to the bottom and click this teeny, tiny script at the bottom right corner, "Unread Content".

I used to love and thrive on change but now that I'm over the half-century hump not so much.  I'm sure I'll get used to it though.

10 minutes ago, Saddlemomma2 said:

I also liked having my preferences set to showing "New Content" when I opened the Forums.  Now I have to go down to the bottom and click this teeny, tiny script at the bottom right corner, "Unread Content".

Are you not seeing the Unread Content at the top too? On my web browser it's at the bottom and at the top, on the right hand side,  underneath the search bar. 

Has anything been mentioned yet about code? Before the upgrade I could turn it on and off while typing a post, which I often did when quoting parts of a post. Now if I start out not using code and then decide I need to fix something, when I switch to code I get a blank screen. Not only is the post I quoted not there, but anything I might have typed is also not there.

On 4/3/2018 at 10:15 AM, AMJ said:

To change your display name:

1. Click on your username in the upper right-hand corner
  2. Click on Account Settings
  3. Click on Display Name
  4. Insert new display name and save.

Thanks for this!  I was able to reincarnate myself....lol.  I also added my siggy!

1 hour ago, tmoan said:

I lost my identity, too, and the tech people have yet to return my e-mail. I'm sure they're busy, though. I do enjoy the forums, but am losing interest due to all this new stuff. I guess the owner felt it necessary for various reasons that we don't have access to. As a user, it's annoying.

Actually the owner did explain the change.  The old software was no longer supported and thus they were forced to make the change in order to keep the boards going at all.  I wasn't just a whim on their part but a necessity if we wanted forums.  

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Actually the owner did explain the change.  The old software was no longer supported and thus they were forced to make the change in order to keep the boards going at all.  I wasn't just a whim on their part but a necessity if we wanted forums.  

My goodness yes!  Not to mention that she's spending a lot of money on these free forums for us. 

• Like 5

On 4/11/2018 at 1:47 PM, Lady Florida. said:

The notification issue is fixed for me now. I emailed support (support@welltrainedmind.com) and they fixed it. I can now subscribe to threads and only get notified here at the site. I don't have to get emails. If you were having that issue, check and see if it's been fixed for you too. If not, I recommend emailing support. They were quick about handling it. I almost didn't contact them because I thought maybe it was done on purpose. Apparently it wasn't.

@Cosmos you were having this problem too, weren't you? Gotta say I love that we can tag people in a post.

I’m so glad you mentioned this and I happened across it. Mine had been broken too which meant I got zero notifications because I didn’t want emails. Whatever they did to fix yours fixed mine, too! :D

• Like 1