Menu

what have you noticed about the new forums?

blondeviolin

If the club assignments were evidence of data mining, I have to say that the algorithms really stink. None of the clubs I was assigned to were of any interest to me. And it’s not like I’m super secretive on the interwebs. Hmmm...she frequents Ravelry, Amazon, and Gardenweb...she must be into celebrity gossip, extreme sports, and chess!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mergath said:

At least one person said she was leaving because she thinks the new software is data mining her.

Someone should probably tell her it's the whole internet... ;) 

Were you referring to my post? I did not mention leaving but I did mention data mining. my concern was not that it was happening but that because I was forced to merge accounts with WTM store account all that data (about all sorts of personal things) can now be aggregated with my real name and physical address. Yes, the web mines data, but that doesn’t mean I give carte blanche access.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I'm still wondering about some posters. Are they having trouble getting into their accounts? Where is everyone? I think people are missing. 

Today was the first time I had time to mess around with setting up a new password and trying to get back in after I couldn’t log on when forums came back up.

• Like 2

Now that I've been back a few days and had time to discover some things, I'm going to be the complainer. And yes, I know this is provided to us free of charge but so are many social media sites and we feel free to complain about those too. 

I noticed that social groups/clubs still aren't back yet and I'm really missing one in particular.

I noticed that using the forum is kind of clunky.

I noticed that some features we used to have are either gone or more difficult to use now, especially code.

I noticed that I can't get site only notifications. If I want to keep up with a thread I'm forced to accept email notifications.

I notice that the white space is still big and bright even after having time to get used to it.

A few things are easier and/or improved over the previous forum but so far they don't outweigh the disappointments.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Targhee said:

Were you referring to my post? I did not mention leaving but I did mention data mining. my concern was not that it was happening but that because I was forced to merge accounts with WTM store account all that data (about all sorts of personal things) can now be aggregated with my real name and physical address. Yes, the web mines data, but that doesn’t mean I give carte blanche access.

I don't think so... the person I saw said she was for sure leaving. 

I'm not judging anyone for wanting to keep their data private, but to be successful you pretty much have to opt out of modern technology all together, lol.

• Like 3

On 4/7/2018 at 7:24 AM, Serenade said:

I wish people wouldn't do this without telling, lol.  It makes it hard on old brains when you see somebody you've never seen before, and they have a lot of posts...

I know!  I see random people with over 10K posts and wonder who they are.  I'm not very good at guessing writing styles.  I feel like I lost the old members!  Even if they are still here, I don't know it and feel like they are gone.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Targhee said:

Thanks for elaborating, I was wondering why some were concerned with the merge.

8 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I noticed that I can't get site only notifications. If I want to keep up with a thread I'm forced to accept email notifications.

I notice that the white space is still big and bright even after having time to get used to it.

It's possible to turn off email notifications for everything except private messages.

6 hours ago, frugalmamatx said:

Please please please make a "Dark" theme. Soon. My eyes are begging you. 

I can only handle about 5 minutes of this bright white, even with brightness down, before I have to stop. 

Go right down to the bottom of the page and click "theme."

9 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

It's possible to turn off email notifications for everything except private messages.

There's another one that can't be turned off: "Someone comments on something I follow" cannot be toggled off of email (or on for site notifications). That's a biggie!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Go right down to the bottom of the page and click "theme."

The only themes I see are "Default" aka very bright and "Well Trained Mind Default" aka still very bright, but now with more blue. I'm talking full white on black type dark theme. Something like this.

skype-uwp-preview-dark-theme-740x480.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Yes I know.  What isn't possible is to get notifications here at the site without also getting an email. Before the upgrade that was an option. Now it isn't. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lady Florida. said:

Yes I know.  What isn't possible is to get notifications here at the site without also getting an email. Before the upgrade that was an option. Now it isn't. 

I've never been able to get on site notifications for private messages without also getting an email. I always found that a bit annoying.

Are you getting email notifications when someone quotes or likes your post? 

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I switched off email notifications. it has worked for me

Melissa, here is a screenshot of my notification settings. This is in the lower section that you have to scroll down to get to. The first ("I receive a message") and the fourth ("Someone comments on something I follow") cannot be untoggled. Now, I can in the upper section turn off ALL email notifications, and that did work. However, I would like to be able to follow threads and receive on-site notifications without email notifications. That doesn't seem possible with the current settings.

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 3.20.53 PM.png

17 minutes ago, Cosmos said:

Melissa, here is a screenshot of my notification settings. This is in the lower section that you have to scroll down to get to. The first ("I receive a message") and the fourth ("Someone comments on something I follow") cannot be untoggled. Now, I can in the upper section turn off ALL email notifications, and that did work. However, I would like to be able to follow threads and receive on-site notifications without email notifications. That doesn't seem possible with the current settings.

According to your screenshot, you should get on site notifications if you are quoted. Which should happen in one second after I post this. Did it work?

The replies in the threads don't have numbers. So, if I want to refer to something in reply #17, I have no idea that it is reply 17.  There is also no way for me to Preview what I write, to check for typos, etc., before I post.

• Like 3

I really don't know what I am doing and am starting to think I am talking about something completely different by accident. this is my settings. I cannot work out how to do a screen shot so copied and pasted instead. I get a on-forum notification if someone likes what I write or sends me a pm, but I don't get an email .I have Do not send me a notification chosen.  Is this what you are meaning?

• Send me news and informationEnabling this option will add you to our mailing list. You can unsubscribe at any time.
  • Automatically follow content
    • Automatically follow new content I post
    • Automatically follow content I reply to
  • Method to use for content I follow automatically
    • A notification when new content is posted
    • One email per day with all new content from that day
    • One email per week with all new content from that week
    • Do not send me notifications
  • Notification preferences
    • Show popup window when I receive a new personal message
    • Only send one email notification for content I follow until I revisit the community
    • Play a sound when I receive a notification

9 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I've never been able to get on site notifications for private messages without also getting an email. I always found that a bit annoying.

Are you getting email notifications when someone quotes or likes your post? 

I'm not talking about private messages although I was always able to get site notifications without an email. I'm talking about subscribing to a thread. I have always chosen site only notifications for subscribed threads and now I can't. Now if I want to subscribe to a thread I'll get an email regardless if I get a notification here or not.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

According to your screenshot, you should get on site notifications if you are quoted. Which should happen in one second after I post this. Did it work?

Yes, you can get on site notifications when you're quoted. You can also get on site notifications when you follow a thread. However, you can't turn off emails and ONLY get on site notifications. That toggle switch is permanently checked and it's greyed out so you can't turn emails off.

25 minutes ago, Lanny said:

The replies in the threads don't have numbers. So, if I want to refer to something in reply #17, I have no idea that it is reply 17.  There is also no way for me to Preview what I write, to check for typos, etc., before I post.

Lanny are you not getting the preview icon on the toolbar when you write a post? The toolbar that lets you choose bold, italics, etc. On the far right is a preview icon. It looks like a little sheet of paper with the corner turned down and a magnifying glass on it. It's the preview icon. Click on it and you get a choice between views - desktop, tablet, or smart phone. I mostly post on a desktop and just read on other devices so I don't know if that icon is missing on tablets and phones. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Lanny are you not getting the preview icon on the toolbar when you write a post? The toolbar that lets you choose bold, italics, etc. On the far right is a preview icon. It looks like a little sheet of paper with the corner turned down and a magnifying glass on it. It's the preview icon. Click on it and you get a choice between views - desktop, tablet, or smart phone. I mostly post on a desktop and just read on other devices so I don't know if that icon is missing on tablets and phones. 

Kathy: Thank you!  In all honesty, it never occurred to me to look there!  As I am writing this reply to you, I see it!   Before, on the old platform, it was down below, on the Right.  you could Preview what you had written or just save it.  Thanks again and have a nice day!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I really don't know what I am doing and am starting to think I am talking about something completely different by accident. this is my settings. I cannot work out how to do a screen shot so copied and pasted instead. I get a on-forum notification if someone likes what I write or sends me a pm, but I don't get an email .I have Do not send me a notification chosen.  Is this what you are meaning?

• Send me news and informationEnabling this option will add you to our mailing list. You can unsubscribe at any time.
  • Automatically follow content
    • Automatically follow new content I post
    • Automatically follow content I reply to
  • Method to use for content I follow automatically
    • A notification when new content is posted
    • One email per day with all new content from that day
    • One email per week with all new content from that week
    • Do not send me notifications
  • Notification preferences
    • Show popup window when I receive a new personal message
    • Only send one email notification for content I follow until I revisit the community
    • Play a sound when I receive a notification

That is the top section of the notification settings. If you scroll down there are more settings.

I feel like I keep repeating myself, but since you asked, I will explain again. In the top section (which you copied and pasted) you can select "Do not send me notifications". Great, that stops the emails! If you scroll down to the bottom section, you can select from a long menu of items to select either "notification list" (which means on-site notifications in the little bell icon at the top of the page) or "email". Most of the items you can select either one or both or neither. But there are two lines that don't give you a choice: private messages and "someone comments on a thread I have followed". I posted a picture of that earlier but here it is again. Yes, you can get notifications if someone likes your post or quotes you and I am getting those. But you can also "follow" a thread to get updates when the thread gets new posts, even if you haven't posted or been quoted. Right now, with the current settings, following a post means you get emails. There is no way (that I can see) to follow a thread and only get onsite notifications.

So, to recap -- right now I, like you, have it set so that I am not receiving any emails. But I also am not following any threads, because if I did, I would get buckets of emails telling me that so-and-so posted on that thread. I don't want that. I would like to receive on-site notifications telling me that thread A and thread B and thread C have new posts. that is not possible right now without also getting emails.

Does that help?

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Lanny said:

Kathy: Thank you!  In all honesty, it never occurred to me to look there!  As I am writing this reply to you, I see it!   Before, on the old platform, it was down below, on the Right.  you could Preview what you had written or just save it.  Thanks again and have a nice day!

I found it by accident - "I wonder what this one does. Oh, it's preview! LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Cosmos said:

That is the top section of the notification settings. If you scroll down there are more settings.

I feel like I keep repeating myself, but since you asked, I will explain again. In the top section (which you copied and pasted) you can select "Do not send me notifications". Great, that stops the emails! If you scroll down to the bottom section, you can select from a long menu of items to select either "notification list" (which means on-site notifications in the little bell icon at the top of the page) or "email". Most of the items you can select either one or both or neither. But there are two lines that don't give you a choice: private messages and "someone comments on a thread I have followed". I posted a picture of that earlier but here it is again. Yes, you can get notifications if someone likes your post or quotes you and I am getting those. But you can also "follow" a thread to get updates when the thread gets new posts, even if you haven't posted or been quoted. Right now, with the current settings, following a post means you get emails. There is no way (that I can see) to follow a thread and only get onsite notifications.

So, to recap -- right now I, like you, have it set so that I am not receiving any emails. But I also am not following any threads, because if I did, I would get buckets of emails telling me that so-and-so posted on that thread. I don't want that. I would like to receive on-site notifications telling me that thread A and thread B and thread C have new posts. that is not possible right now without also getting emails.

Does that help?

This is exactly what I've been trying to say and I also feel like I'm repeating myself. I hope your post explains it to everyone. So far, you and I seem to be the only ones who get it.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

This is exactly what I've been trying to say and I also feel like I'm repeating myself. I hope your post explains it to everyone. So far, you and I seem to be the only ones who get it.

You're not the only one!  Last night I was ready to respond by telling you about the toggle button section that has already been screen-shotted.  But that's when I realized that MOST of those options are enabled, but  there are two line-items that the administrator has not enabled the toggling.  You are so right!  :).

Seems like the only way to avoid emails would be to avoid Following Threads?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cosmos said:

Okay, I checked (side by side) my settings with the screen shot you posted. Mine look exactly like yours. I do follow threads (and have followed a few new ones since the forum switchover). I do not currently have it set to send me emails ("notifications" in the top menu), but I do get emails when someone sends me a PM. I don't get emails about every thread I follow. Does that make sense? We have the same settings but are getting different results.

Edit: When you manually click to "follow" a thread (top right hand corner), there is a drop down menu of how you want to be notified (if at all). How do you have that set? Mine is "don't notify me" (or something like that).

47 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I have done this and am still getting emails - not for everything, but for *some*  threads I commented on when others comment.

Just wanted to say that older threads before the changeover have different settings.  So I noticed that I still get emails from the older threads that have been resurrected.  In the email there is a link to Unfollow, so I just click that and then I stop getting emails.  I'm not getting emails for anything new.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, domestic_engineer said:

While we may not have control over the available "themes", you might be able to play with your computer's display settings to soften the brightness.  I just turned mine to "Night Shift" and now the white isn't so bright.  (Granted it's a pain to have to do it this way ....)

I'm not changing my computer settings though just for this page. I am old; I have old eyes. But this white is so bright that I could use it for a flashlight. It's killing me. :(

10 hours ago, Lanny said:

I want the post numbers too. :(

(And I want to be able to press Enter twice to get two lines, not have it do it automatically.)

On the plus side, my kids are grown, done homeschooling, with one still in college. I've been through every board change. Maybe this is my sign that it's time for me to move on!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ThisIsTheDay said:

Maybe this is my sign that it's time for me to move on!

My "like" was for the comments on the white-so-bright (I have to wear shades!) and post numbers, not on this part of your post. Y'all need to stay and keep passing on your experiences & wisdom to those of us who are still in the trenches.

On a side but related note, my DD#1 pointed out that my member-joined-date is only a couple of months after the previous board switch over. So, while I'm still not a veteran, I'm getting old. My grey hairs add distinction to my profile. <- That's what I tell myself. :-)

• Haha 1

This is a silly thing, but I don’t like the color of my P for my default picture. I don’t want to post a picture, nor do I have the tech savvy to get one the right size. But my P is kind of a putrid-y, vomitous green color imo. Just about anything else would be great! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PinkTulip said:

This is a silly thing, but I don’t like the color of my P for my default picture. I don’t want to post a picture, nor do I have the tech savvy to get one the right size. But my P is kind of a putrid-y, vomitous green color imo. Just about anything else would be great! 

Really? Yours shows up as purple on my screen!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, PinkTulip said:

48 minutes ago, Stacia said:

Really? Yours shows up as purple on my screen!

Pink's description is how the P shows up for me too.  Wonder why there is such a difference.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PinkTulip said:

I need on of those fainting smilies here

it is my favorite shade of green. I wear something of that colour as often as I can. 

Well, here is an exciting discovery. The boards do not update anymore at 11:25pm. I wonder if there are no updates necessary anymore or if they are scheduled for later. I often post late here and ran into the "Board being updated" message.

9 hours ago, madteaparty said:

I’m also noticing I can’t add a link to my signature. Though I see a link in others’, so this one must be user error (tells me “too many links”. I just have the one. 

If you haven't updated your profile since the software switch, you can have a link. If you update it now, you won't be able to save it with a link. I removed my one link so my profile wasn't seven feet long (with all the extra hard return spacings).

6 hours ago, PinkTulip said:

Purple for me, but one or two of the others in this thread are green colors. I changed the Theme (at the bottom of the forum where most people don't look), but that didn't make yours green. (Worth a try, though?) I wonder if it is pseudo random? It would explain why some of us feel blinded by the excessive whiteness of the forum while others say it is easier to read. Maybe it just looks different for different users?

7 hours ago, PinkTulip said:

I’m actually so glad to hear that! Because the color that I see is awful! :)

Well, I am seeing that odd green color. While it's not attractive, I think of it as a soft olive. Okay, maybe not so soft. :D You could always find another P with a differnt colored background and use that!