Menu

what have you noticed about the new forums?

blondeviolin

Just now, I was looking for the "little sheet of paper with the magnifying glass" icon and could not find it. But when I placed the cursor over the thread title, a window popped up with options for 1st post and last post. Yay! 

Well I’m sad that my avatar photo didn’t translate, but OTOH, it was high time I changed it, and I am glad my initial is a “Q,” because I don’t think there are many other Q usernames who actively post and don’t have a photo. 

But I have always found it oddly difficult to get a photo resized and loaded on here, so I might just be Q for a long while. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Quill said:

Well I’m sad that my avatar photo didn’t translate, but OTOH, it was high time I changed it, and I am glad my initial is a “Q,” because I don’t think there are many other Q usernames who actively post and don’t have a photo. 

But I have always found it oddly difficult to get a photo resized and loaded on here, so I might just be Q for a long while. 

My avatar is going to be H for a while too.  I have spent a lot of time already trying to get my old photo resized.  I give up for now.  I don’t know why that is so hard for me.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Quill said:

Q also sounds rather James Bond-ian and thus has a certain panache.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TCB said:

I used to like clicking on the 'Most Recent' tab on the top right hand of the front page. It would show the most recent from all the boards. Has anyone found a way to do that on the new one?

There's a tab near the top labeled "Activity". (It's after "Browse" and before "Leaderboard".). The default view is similar to the old "View New Content" view.  And once you are in the Activity tab, below those tabs is a grey menu where you can further filter it.

• Like 1

Leaderboard - I think I figured this out. It shows who has the most "reputation votes," which I think are likes. It awards gold, silver and bronze. Interesting, but not particularly useful. It might be fun to run some fun contests, if we can figure out some fun criteria!

4 hours ago, madteaparty said:

I don’t see this signature option at all :(

The way I get to it, for desktop:

Click on your username in the top right corner of the screen.
Select "Account Settings."
On the left there's a list of things, starting with "Overview" and "Email Address." The sixth one down is "Signature."

For mobile:

Tap the menu at the top right corner.
Choose "Account."
Choose "Account Settings."
Tap where it says "Settings Area" to get more options, starting with "Overview" and "Email Address." The sixth one down is "Signature."

If those don't get you there, then I would report the issue to WTM support. 

2 hours ago, purpleowl said:

The way I get to it, for desktop:

Click on your username in the top right corner of the screen.
Select "Account Settings."
On the left there's a list of things, starting with "Overview" and "Email Address." The sixth one down is "Signature."

For mobile:

Tap the menu at the top right corner.
Choose "Account."
Choose "Account Settings."
Tap where it says "Settings Area" to get more options, starting with "Overview" and "Email Address." The sixth one down is "Signature."

If those don't get you there, then I would report the issue to WTM support. 

Goodness it worked. Bless you. 

Weird. Still doesn’t show edit: on mobile. I guess that part stayed the same. Thanks again for setting me straight.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mergath said:

I think I lost some of my content. I swear I had more than 4,700ish posts.

And as I type that, I am realizing that maybe i need to spend slightly less time on the computer. 

Yep, I am positive I had more posts than it shows. Especially when compared to the number of reputation points. 

9 hours ago, Targhee said:

Here’s another thing. Since I had to merge my account it says I joined last Friday. I just saw anothe profile saying they joined in 2012. :-( mine used to say 2008. I feel robbed of 10 years.

Yep. Shows my joined date wrong too. I had to have mine merged too. Guess that screwed things up. Oh well. 

I'm reading on my phone (and usually do.)

It used to be that if I clicked on a thread I had already started reading earlier, my phone always scrolled ahead to the last post I previously read in the thread. Now when I click on a previously read thread, it starts at the beginning. 

Any suggestions?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Homebody2 said:

I'm reading on my phone (and usually do.)

It used to be that if I clicked on a thread I had already started reading earlier, my phone always scrolled ahead to the last post I previously read in the thread. Now when I click on a previously read thread, it starts at the beginning. 

Any suggestions?

I just asked the same questions - so I'm also interested in the answer.  and it's not just the phone - it's the computer too.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2018 at 9:49 AM, ScoutTN said:

I do not like that my forum account is now merged with my WTM store account. I asked tech support and Kevin said that there is no way to have them separate. 

I dislike that we were not given an option to NOT merge them in the first place.

• Like 1

I'm not loving the way I can't open a new tab when I click on "quote." It just opens the thread in another tab and I have to scroll down until I find the post I wanted to quote.

I much prefer to do that so I'm not adding a post answering a question that's already been answered. 

• Like 1

On 05/04/2018 at 10:56 PM, texasmom33 said:

There are still a lot of people that seem “missing”. :(  Or maybe I’m thrown by lack of avatars and images! But I know I haven’t seen Kinsa or Sadie or many others who are usually frequent posters......

Some are here under different names.

• Like 1

I’m wondering what happens if a past poster tries to sign in. Do they have to make a new account? Like, if they were a former frequent poster but had been on hiatus for a while, like Joanne or Mrs. Mungo. Does anyone know? 

OTOH, I wonder if all those “weird” members transferred over or if it starts fresh with only the members who have posted since ——- date. (By weird members I mean such as, if you went to the member list, there would be usernames like “aaaaz?!”)

I’m mostly just curious. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I'm not loving the way I can't open a new tab when I click on "quote." It just opens the thread in another tab and I have to scroll down until I find the post I wanted to quote.

I much prefer to do that so I'm not adding a post answering a question that's already been answered. 

I click on the + I see to the left of Quote (it's the multi-quote button). If someone else has answered before I read to the end of the thread, I simply close the current tab.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

What I've noticed but hasn't been commented on:

We can like Rosie's posts!

Way more java script. I java a script blocker on Firefox. The old forums didn't use many; the new one has a ton. I was having trouble logging in before I unblocked a bunch of them. I'll have to play around and figure out exactly which one I need to allow.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, texasmom33 said:

Question- if you’ve read all of the posts in a thread (and posted in it) previously, the star goes light gray and won’t let you click on it again to take you to the end until there’s a new post. It makes you click on the thread title and takes you back to the first post. How do I get it to still take me to the end of the thread without having to scroll through pages? Anyone know? This is on my phone so maybe different on the desktop. 

On the desktop, that is exactly how it has always been, ever since the last board change. There is no way I know of to do that once it "thinks" you have read the thread.

1 hour ago, texasmom33 said:

Question- if you’ve read all of the posts in a thread (and posted in it) previously, the star goes light gray and won’t let you click on it again to take you to the end until there’s a new post. It makes you click on the thread title and takes you back to the first post. How do I get it to still take me to the end of the thread without having to scroll through pages? Anyone know? This is on my phone so maybe different on the desktop. 

I haven't noticed that but what I've done is the same as what I did in the old forum. On the right, click under the name of the person who last posted (not their name but the time they posted). It will take you to the last post in the thread though, not the last post you read (unless of course you read to the end). I was having to use that method before the update because the star wasn't working for me for some reason. 

• Like 2

On 4/5/2018 at 5:56 AM, texasmom33 said:

There are still a lot of people that seem “missing”. :(  Or maybe I’m thrown by lack of avatars and images! But I know I haven’t seen Kinsa or Sadie or many others who are usually frequent posters......

Kinsa has posted in another thread - I think the "Christopher Robin" thread. She is with us. Thank God. Smiley Emoticon here. I did not realize how much I use emoticons until I didn't have any. I have not seen Sadie yet.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Lanny said:

I miss the ability to "Preview" what I write, before I post.

Someone else mentioned how to do this but I didn't pay attention. Try looking on the bar that has Bold, Italics, smilies (that don't work yet), and the link thingy. At the far right, there is a square and a magnifying glass. See if pushing that works as a preview button.

4 hours ago, Lanny said:

On the old forum platform, I could "Preview" what I had written, to look for Typos, Spelling Errors, etc.  I do not see that option on this new platform. I miss the ability to "Preview" what I write, before I post.

3 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Someone else mentioned how to do this but I didn't pay attention. Try looking on the bar that has Bold, Italics, smilies (that don't work yet), and the link thingy. At the far right, there is a square and a magnifying glass. See if pushing that works as a preview button.

When you're posting, the very last icon on the right of the toolbar looks like a sheet of paper with a magnifying glass on it. That's the preview icon. When you click on it you can switch between desktop, tablet, and smartphone.

3 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I'm still wondering about some posters. Are they having trouble getting into their accounts? Where is everyone? I think people are missing. 

At least one person said she was leaving because she thinks the new software is data mining her.

Someone should probably tell her it's the whole internet... ;) 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Mergath said:

At least one person said she was leaving because she thinks the new software is data mining her.

Someone should probably tell her it's the whole internet... ;) 

I’m waiting for the “big news story” that’s going to reveal to us all that those Alexa and Google Home consumer-chosen surveillance devices are data mining. And then we can all act so surprised...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2