Menu

what have you noticed about the new forums?

blondeviolin

I haven't really investigated the new site but at first glance I love the layout on mobile. It is very clean and seems easy to use. Much better than the old site. 

????????

I can use the Emojis from my phone keyboard. 

10 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I just followed the instructions on the other thread and managed to log back in as Melissa in Australia - But I am terribly afraid that I have accidentally created 2 different accounts - which I think is against board rules. ops

I had trouble logging in as well and needed to reset my password. They will likely merge two accounts if you have created two. I am sure this is another busy week for the team as they are ironing out all the bumps.

5 minutes ago, SJ. said:

I haven't really investigated the new site but at first glance I love the layout on mobile. It is very clean and seems easy to use. Much better than the old site. 

????????

I can use the Emojis from my phone keyboard. 

Guess not! They appeared after I submitted but now they are ???s

3 minutes ago, klmama said:

I miss being able to hover my curser over a title to read the first post, last unread post, and last post.

Are you on mobile? Because I am on a computer and I can do that. It has a separate tab for first and latest post, but it is still there. And you can scroll within the popup window and read the entire post. 

9 minutes ago, Cosmos said:

So I posted once this morning and when I went to check my email just now, I had SIX emails updating me on who had commented/quoted/interacted with that thread. Yikes! I high-tailed it to the settings to turn that setting off. I went to Notification Settings and turned off just about all the email notifications, but to my surprise you CANNOT turn off the email setting for "Someone comments on something I follow".  It says "The administrator has diabled this option from being toggled." It says the same for "I receive a message" but that one doesn't bother me as much. I don't get many messages. But I definitely do NOT want to get an email every time someone comments on a thread. I don't really want emails at all. I want my notifications here at the forum.

It seems to have reset all notifications to email. I had to go in and turn a bunch off.

13 minutes ago, klmama said:

I miss being able to hover my curser over a title to read the first post, last unread post, and last post.

First I had the same experience with not being able to hover but if you hover and wait or move your cursor a bit, it pops up.

5 hours ago, Just Kate said:

When I click on the big dot beside the thread, it takes me to my first unread post. Try that and see if it works for you. 

ETA: I was responding to PinkTulip and I thought I quoted her. Guess I don’t know how to use that feature yet!!

It took me to late 2 and I was only down to your post on page 1

18 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

It seems to have reset all notifications to email. I had to go in and turn a bunch off.

As I said in my post, I turned them all off as well, except for the two that it *would not allow* me to turn off. I also clicked "Do not send me notifications" in the top section of the Notification Settings. And yet . . . I have gotten ten emails about this thread in the last twenty minutes.

Is it different for you? PLEASE tell me how to stop the emails.

I tried to turn off all notifications and emails, but it seems I don't always have a choice?? It's a total deal breaker for me if I start to receive emails, so I'm not feeling too positive right now. Does anyone know about this?

In general it doesn't feel as secure to me, I'm not sure why. I'm on the fence whether I'll log back in.  It might be awhile.

26 minutes ago, Cosmos said:

As I said in my post, I turned them all off as well, except for the two that it *would not allow* me to turn off. I also clicked "Do not send me notifications" in the top section of the Notification Settings. And yet . . . I have gotten ten emails about this thread in the last twenty minutes.

Is it different for you? PLEASE tell me how to stop the emails.

My notification settings must be different than yours somehow. Including a screenshot if I can get it to work. I was getting emails this morning until I set it to not send them.

Edited to add - I just now went back there and am just now seeing the bottom section. I swear it wasn't there earlier. Maybe things are going to be changing as they get everything worked out in the next few days. Anyway, I stopped getting emails when I checked the setting on the top part.

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 3.14.00 PM.png

11 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I tried to turn off all notifications and emails, but it seems I don't always have a choice?? It's a total deal breaker for me if I start to receive emails, so I'm not feeling too positive right now. Does anyone know about this?

In general it doesn't feel as secure to me, I'm not sure why. I'm on the fence whether I'll log back in.  It might be awhile.

If you are really desperate, another option is to set it up with your e-mail to have any of the WTM e-mails to automatically go to trash/spam or whatever the option is for the e-mail you use. 

4 minutes ago, VaKim said:

My notification settings must be different than yours somehow. Including a screenshot if I can get it to work. I was getting emails this morning until I set it to not send them.

Edited to add - I just now went back there and am just now seeing the bottom section. I swear it wasn't there earlier. Maybe things are going to be changing as they get everything worked out in the next few days.

Yeah, it's in the section below. There are two email notifications that cannot be toggled off.

BUT, your screenshot helped, because I had the "automatically follow content" options selected. I am turning that off for now. I do want to be able to follow threads, but ONLY if I get my notifications here instead of by email. Turning that off should solve my problem for the moment (fingers crossed).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cosmos said:

Yeah, it's in the section below. There are two email notifications that cannot be toggled off.

BUT, your screenshot helped, because I had the "automatically follow content" options selected. I am turning that off for now. I do want to be able to follow threads, but ONLY if I get my notifications here instead of by email. Turning that off should solve my problem for the moment (fingers crossed).

VaKim already answered you but that's what I had to do too.

• Like 1

I've gotten it to work a couple of times, but it's not consistent for me.

ETA:  I'm not sure if tech support changed something or if I've just gotten better at it, but today I can hover over a post to see the first/last responses.  

Looks ok to me.  The brightness is rough, but I’m sure I’ll get used to it.  I got my display name back, so that’s good.  I will eventually get my avatar picture back, but it might take a while.  I will miss smilies and signatures, though. 

If anyone in charge reads this, I appreciate all the hard work!  

Agreeing with the others that I would love to see signatures return. That has really helped me in answering questions and in asking them.  =)

I also thought it was too white when I first logged in, but I am wondering if that is because it is such a shocking difference.  I am trying to embrace change.  =)

I’ve noticed that instead of seeing just new threads, you see every bit of activity: every like, every time someone posted at all.  That’s kinda weird to me.  

I’ve noticed that when I click on a thread title, it takes me to the bottom of the thread.  It looks like if I click on the dot by the thread title, it’ll take me to the last post I saw in the thread.  That’s nice.  

I’ve noticed that our posts aren’t numbered.  I used to use that to scroll back up to re-read things in threads.

I’ve noticed that it double spaces after enter. (Don’t like that.)

I’ve noticed that my avatar disappeared.  Did everyone’s disappear and some of you have added them back?  Or did those of you with an avatar sign in and it was stll there?  (Where do I go to add in my avatar...off to look...)

It looks like you can tag people in a post without having to quote them. That could come in handy. It seems similar to other social media now, so it's much more up to date. Adding photos seems easier also. 

There are things I don't like and things I like. I'll get used to the stuff I don't like. I'm trying to remember all the stuff us old timers didn't like during the last upgrade, and the one before that. The fact that I can't remember tells me I got over it. 

There's a button for emoticons but there aren't any, even when you search. Hopefully they'll come back soon.

• Like 2

The Font is a very light one. I am using an Enterprise grade Laptop with a high quality display. Very tough to read the forum. I would prefer the Font be a BOLD Font. Much easier on the eyes.

ETA: I would also like to see at the bottom of the page for the thread, the option to return to the beginning of the thread or the Chat Forum,  and not what I just saw, which was to continue reading the next unread thread. 

Edited by Lanny
additional comments
  • Like 1

There are a lot of things I need to get used to.  Hate to be a whiner, but it will take me some time.  The old forum took time too, and I got over it.  :P

One thing maybe I need to understand is that it doesn't keep me logged in like before.  So I have to log in all over again each time I pop over.  Am I missing something?

And the drop-downs that get in my way ... I am sure I will figure a work-around ....

I hadn't noticed the loss of signature.  That's a bummer.

It looks like you were right @Cosmos It seems like you can only get notifications if you choose email. I thought I set mine to notifications only here at the site but that turned them off. If I want to turn them back on it looks like I have to choose email in addition to site notifications. I posted in the Site News board asking about it in case I'm missing something.

4 minutes ago, mommaduck said:

Social Groups? Politics?

They're turned off for now. There were problems. People were listed as being in the wrong groups and couldn't get to the groups they really did belong to. No word on when they'll be up but I'm guessing they'll work in it.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Penguin said:

Member profiles can be clicked on and viewed without being logged in. I'm pretty sure that was not the case before.

I cannot quote on my iPad.  I had to change to my phone, so there’s that. I actually couldn’t reply at all from my iPad, only start new posts.

what Penguin points out is one privacy concern. Another is the issue with AI assigned clubs (of which I was put in 4 - some I could leave and some I couldn’t), because it is indicative of data mining. Also, before my forum account was not associated with my WTM store account (which has my real name, address, etc) but I received an email telling me I had to reconcile the two and now my forum account is attached to my real personal data - I don’t like that.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Targhee said:

I cannot quote on my iPad.  I had to change to my phone, so there’s that. I actually couldn’t reply at all from my iPad, only start new posts.

what Penguin points out is one privacy concern. Another is the issue with AI assigned clubs (of which I was put in 4 - some I could leave and some I couldn’t), because it is indicative of data mining. Also, before my forum account was not associated with my WTM store account (which has my real name, address, etc) but I received an email telling me I had to reconcile the two and now my forum account is attached to my real personal data - I don’t like that.

Coming back to say WHOA...WHAT?!

And with that, I'm out. I mentioned before it didn't feel as secure...this clinches it for me. 

I'm going to miss it here, but until these types of serious privacy concerns get fixed, I'm deleting my account. Assuming I can figure out how. 

19 minutes ago, Targhee said:

When  emails were showing up as user names, I was wishing that I had created my account with a different email. I’m not sure if it is possible to change the email associated with the account, but I am going to ask. 

And see what you are saying about connecting accounts. In general, I avoid doing that. 

I haven't found if the likes section is somewhere still. I found having a place with all the things I'd liked useful for finding those ideas that I knew I had read about but couldn't remember exact details on. If it isn't around, I foresee a lot more searches and notepads of random ideas notes in my future. 

24 minutes ago, Penguin said:

When  emails were showing up as user names, I was wishing that I had created my account with a different email. I’m not sure if it is possible to change the email associated with the account, but I am going to ask. 

And see what you are saying about connecting accounts. In general, I avoid doing that. 

I couldn’t log on with my forum name and password (or with my associated-to-forum-name email). I could log on with my WTM store account.  I received an email (unsolicited) from WTM saying I needed to merge them.  Was I wrong in assuming I had no other option?? Have others managed to keep this separate, and if so HOW???

After I got my account working, I decided to get on MomsintheGarden's laptop to see if I could get hers working.  She hadn't told me that she woke up at midnight last night to get things working.

Anyway, what I see is that even though we have identical laptops, the forum looks like normal Windows format on my computer but it looks like it is a mobile format on MomsintheGarden's laptop.  I'm wondering if it is like that on her computer because she logged on using her iPad last night.  That would be pretty "clunky" if the forum software decides which persona to use based on what device you used to first login instead of the device you are CURRENTLY using.

Does anyone know how to switch between the two formats?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RegGuheert said:

After I got my account working, I decided to get on MomsintheGarden's laptop to see if I could get hers working.  She hadn't told me that she woke up at midnight last night to get things working.

Anyway, what I see is that even though we have identical laptops, the forum looks like normal Windows format on my computer but it looks like it is a mobile format on MomsintheGarden's laptop.  I'm wondering if it is like that on her computer because she logged on using her iPad last night.  That would be pretty "clunky" if the forum software decides which persona to use based on what device you used to first login instead of the device you are CURRENTLY using.

Does anyone know how to switch between the two formats?

Yes, just got on my computer and it looks like a mobile interface... Any idea how to change this?

1 minute ago, Targhee said:

Yes, just got on my computer and it looks like a mobile interface... Any idea how to change this?

The only thing I can find is that you can choose between 2 themes at the bottom. I chose the second one, as it is easier on my eyes, but not much different.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Targhee said:

I couldn’t log on with my forum name and password (or with my associated-to-forum-name email). I could log on with my WTM store account.  I received an email (unsolicited) from WTM saying I needed to merge them.  Was I wrong in assuming I had no other option?? Have others managed to keep this separate, and if so HOW???

Mine were already connected - I didn’t manage to keep them separate. Sorry if I confused you! 

9 minutes ago, VaKim said:

The only thing I can find is that you can choose between 2 themes at the bottom. I chose the second one, as it is easier on my eyes, but not much different.

Thanks, but that's not what I saw on MomsintheGarden's computer.  That was a different interface which was more tuned for mobile usage.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Targhee said:

One of the mods posted to one of the threads (can't remember which one) saying that you could pm them to ask them to keep separate accounts. 

• Like 3

Another who finds the white space too much. And the font colors are super light for some things. Like, way too light to see at the top where it says the forum you're on.

I also miss sigs.

I'm pretty sure I created an extra account because it wouldn't let me into my account at first.

Last Post shows the last post but does not take you there (at least with MS Edge browser).  Is there a way to jump to the latest post for large threads?

Message Box has much less capacity so you will need to empty on a regular basis.  I had to clean old stuff out to compose a PM.

Also it would be nice to change page size to see more posts without 'Next'ing.

posts with links to other posts are broken (the way I did it -  others work)

Edited by MarkT