Menu

what have you noticed about the new forums?

blondeviolin

So... I am noticing my signature is gone.  I liked having them because it was nice to see who was using what curricula... Often if someone was using stuff we liked, I'd look at their other stuff and see if there were options I might also enjoy.

And emojis are gone?  I see there's a button and when I click, I can't see any options?  It gives me a search, which yields nothing.

Also, what is this leaderboard?  And how do I get to the top of it?  :P

• Like 3

1 minute ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I've noticed that I'm in clubs that I never joined and have never even heard of before.

I wonder if 'clubs' is the new term for our private social groups? If so, they've been a bit jumbled in the upgrade.

Oh, and my chicken lost its head in the process :(

I'm in four clubs that I don't think I joined.  Given the topics, it looks like the AI in the new forums thinks I should give up meat, leave my husband, and move to another country.

• Like 2
  • Haha 25

So, in case other people didn't see the "How to log in if the forums forgot you" thread and saw Melissa's "I followed instructions in the other thread" comment like I did, I'm cutting & pasting the link to the other thread here. (Yes, I linked the same place three times.)

I will say that these instructions did not work for me. When I tried to set up a new account with my usual username and regular email (that is associated with that username), it said the email was already registered and didn't send me an email. However, I was able to log in with my usual password after that attempt, so heck if I know what's going on. Just glad to be back.

What I've noticed is that the board is very difficult to read. Too bright. Lots of empty spaces (when viewing on mobile device). Did I mention very bright? I wish I could change the background color. (Anyone know how to do that?)

• Like 4

I like the different options when "liking" a post.

I think I'll be happier when I figure out how to customize the look of the board -- I hope it's possible to choose a new background color!

This "notify me of replies" button is interesting.  I've always been really lax about checking notifications, so I wonder if this will actually make a difference to me.

Aha!  It doesn't show up when you go into edit mode!  Plus I can choose whether or not to let the public know I've edited this post.  

Second edit to see what happens this time....

So, the "reason for edit" and "show that the message has been edited" show whatever your last choice is.

Edited by GailV
Messing around
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I just followed the instructions on the other thread and managed to log back in as Melissa in Australia - But I am terribly afraid that I have accidentally created 2 different accounts - which I think is against board rules. ops

On Friday my cjzimmer1 account didn't work.  I thought I had messed up an tried creating a new account with cjzimmer.  Of course that didn't work.  So today the cjzimmer1 didn't work so I tried the cjzimmer.  It let me reset the password on that one and when I logged in, it has my user name as cjzimmer1.  So somehow it has figured out that those are the same.  Perhaps the system did that for you too.

• Like 1

I'e also noticed anytime my mouse gets remotely near the top of the screen, the floating menus pop up and cover most of the screen.  Can I say I have a great disliked for floating things on my screen (especially ones that are automatic)?  I much prefer to have to make an actual click to see things, then I can control what I am seeing. (And I'm not complaining about Well trained mind, because they are awesome and I know they worked very hard to get this back up, but the designers of software who create all these auto in your face things should be shot).

• Like 2

I’m wondering if I can jump to the unread posts in a thread. I am mostly here on my phone and on the old boards, if I pulled up a previously read thread, it would take me right to where I left off. But now, it looks like I need to scroll to the bottom. It’s not a huge deal in the big perspective, but I can see it will be a bit of a pain for the multi-page mega-threads. 

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, PinkTulip said:

I’m wondering if I can jump to the unread posts in a thread. I am mostly here on my phone and on the old boards, if I pulled up a previously read thread, it would take me right to where I left off. But now, it looks like I need to scroll to the bottom. It’s not a huge deal in the big perspective, but I can see it will be a bit of a pain for the multi-page mega-threads. 

In the list of posts/topics in the main Chat Forum, just click the big dot beside the title of the post and it will get you directly to the first unread reply in that post. 

I'm not liking all the white everywhere, and can't seem to change that in the theme thing at the bottom of the page. I'm also in some weird clubs that I didn't belong to before the switch, but that's not a major problem really. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Joules said:

I'm in four clubs that I don't think I joined.  Given the topics, it looks like the AI in the new forums thinks I should give up meat, leave my husband, and move to another country.

Me, too!  I'm in a whole bunch of clubs I didn't know existed!  I managed to leave one club, but now I can't leave any of the others.

44 minutes ago, Rachel said:

I need to figure out how to get my picture back. Also I need to decide if I’m going to leave my name as Rachel or switch it back to Rach. 

To change your display name:

1. Click on your username in the upper right-hand corner
  2. Click on Account Settings
  3. Click on Display Name
  4. Insert new display name and save.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, when I signed on my full name was displayed as my user name. I do not understand how that happened. I wasn't particularly happy about it. My phone kept locking up too when I tried to change it and I had to find a desk top. I have spilled too many beans about my children to have my name displayed. :(  

It doesn't look like it did that to anyone else and I'm wishing I used a fake name to sign up. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, frogger said:

Well, when I signed on my full name was displayed as my user name. I do not understand how that happened. I wasn't particularly happy about it. My phone kept locking up too when I tried to change it and I had to find a desk top. I have spilled too many beans about my children to have my name displayed. :(  

It doesn't look like it did that to anyone else and I'm wishing I used a fake name to sign up. 

It did that to everyone last week, which is why they took it back down for the weekend. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ashfern said:

The blue is really hurting my eyes. Hopefully we will be able to choose more themes in the coming days.

Weird, mine is white...really, really white.  It helps to turn the brightness on my screen down.

• Like 3

We've been done homeschooling for a while but I liked having signatures so people could list their children's ages. That was helpful if they asked for suggestions about curriculum or academic progress or behavior. You could look at the ages of their kids before replying. I know not everyone listed kids and/or ages but when they did it made it easier to help them.

I like that you can now follow members. There are people whose posts I enjoy but don't always see when they posted something. Following now makes it possible to know when they post.

I agree that the white space is too bright and there's too much of it.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Joules said:

It thinks I should also do the first two then travel around in an RV full time.

I have no clubs (and didn't before either), so all good there.

I only see the new threads, not posts (in reference to what LawyerMom said), so that might be a setting. 

Is the board and threads loading really slowly for anyone else? Slllloooow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

It thinks I should also do the first two then travel around in an RV full time.

It thinks I speak Japanese and want to ride rollercoasters in Texas. Not related to anything in my life or posting that I can think of...it seems so random!  

• Haha 1

So I posted once this morning and when I went to check my email just now, I had SIX emails updating me on who had commented/quoted/interacted with that thread. Yikes! I high-tailed it to the settings to turn that setting off. I went to Notification Settings and turned off just about all the email notifications, but to my surprise you CANNOT turn off the email setting for "Someone comments on something I follow".  It says "The administrator has diabled this option from being toggled." It says the same for "I receive a message" but that one doesn't bother me as much. I don't get many messages. But I definitely do NOT want to get an email every time someone comments on a thread. I don't really want emails at all. I want my notifications here at the forum.

• Like 4