Menu

What's with the ads?

stephanier.1765

Names for grandmother?

My mom is Grammy and my MIL is Grandma. Apparently Grandma secretly coveted the title of “Grammy” for years because when BIL finally got around to having kids, she instructed them to call her “Grammy”. That’s right. She’s established different titles for different grandkids. It’s annoying and a little weird when they’re all together. 

I guess I should be glad she didn’t pick “Glam-ma.”  That one’s just yucky. 

My kids have Grandma and Grandpa First name on both sides. 

I had Nanny, Pawpaw, Nana, Mamaw, Papaw, Papa. I was always embarrassed to say Nanny instead of Grandma. Where I grew up Grandma and Grandpa were the norm with the occasional Nana.

I’ve also heard Oma, Opa, Gigi, Mimi, and Lola. My uncle is called Doodah which I find quite unfortunate for his grandkids when they are teenagers, but maybe it won’t bother them. 

My dad goes by Papa with the grandkids. His wife is Nana. DH's mother is also Nana--so the kids call them Nana Firstname to tell them apart. DH's dad and stepmom are Grandpa Firstname and Grandma Firstname.

My mom goes with Grandma. My sister, who became a grandma before she was 40, I think goes with Nana. My grandparents were all Grandma Firstname, Grandpa firstname, except my dad's stepmother who was "Grandmother Firstname." She was a more formal person.

I am a long way from having to figure this out, but will probably stick with Grandpa, or maybe Papa if my father isn't around anymore by then (likely as his health isn't great and my oldest is only 14 so grandkids are hopefully 10 to 20 years off for me!) Or maybe the first grandkid will come up with something cute and it will stick.

We have a friend whose grandkids call him Tashi because he has a big mustache! He is also half Japanese.

Mine were Nana and Sir Daddy (because my older brother heard my Mom call her dad "Daddy" and my dad called him "Sir"!).

And Grandmother for my dad's mom. Plus Grandfather for my dad's dad and Gramma [first name] for his step-mom.

I want to be called Nanna. I think I will choose for dh, too.

Congratulations!!  What happy news!

My parents are Granny and Gramps; my inlaws are Nai-Nai and Yea-Yea (Cantonese names for paternal grandparents)

I called one set of grandparents Bubbie and Grandpa [nickname]; my other grandma Grandma Lastname.

I grew up using grandma last name.

my sil goes by G.G.  (for gorgeous grandma. I will not say what I'm thinking. . . .)

I plan on being grandma.  2dd is expecting the end of the summer.   

I am partial to "grandma / grandpa" or "granny/grampa."  I get confused with all the nanny papa mimi bapa etc.  :P

When I was a kid, we had Grandma Lastname1 and Granny Lastname2.  In my family, we don't do first names for grandparents.

My kids only have one set of grandparents, so that makes things a bit simpler.

Congratulations!!!!

My only grandchild calls me...Grandmother. :-) My maternal grandparents were Grandmother and Poppy to all the grandchildren; I thought it was time for another generation of Grandmother and Poppy, and so we are...even though there's only one little person in that generation, but such is life, lol.

When my cousin and I were small, he referred to our shared grandmother as 'cake 'em Granny', because she was the one who made the baked goods :)

My mother has the oddest grandmother title - when I was expecting my first, she felt she was too young to be a Grandma, and so at her work, they all jokingly referred to her impending change in status as the G-code. Once dd was born, I asked her what she'd like to be called, and she hummed and hawed, and chose...yep...G-code. All four grandchildren call her that.

Me ? I'm just going to be plain old Granny. 

On 3/23/2018 at 7:53 PM, Farrar said:

My kids call me Farrar so I have zero hope that I'll even get to have a grandmother name. Maybe they won't even have kids. It's so far in the future for me.

One of my grandmothers wanted to be "Granny." But the oldest grandchild couldn't say it right and she became Banny. She's still called Banny, not just by us and the great grands, but by a lot of the "young people" - aka, the under 40 crowd.

This is pretty much my situation, too. My kids call me Gigi (nickname for Gina) so I figure that’ll stick for their kids, as well. My DD11 calls my DH Poppi. I have no idea why, lol. So at some point in the probably distant future, we will be Gigi and Poppi. ☺️

My grandmother called my grandfather Popsi, and I have such fond memories of it that I may start using it for my DH when we get older.

We just went through this.  It’s really challenging to choose a name! We went with Lolli & Popsie. 

I like “Gram”, but not for another ten years or so. ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JessReplanted said:

We just went through this.  It’s really challenging to choose a name! We went with Lolli & Popsie. 

I like “Gram”, but not for another ten years or so. ?

We're Lolli and Pop. :-) We'll see how long it takes for her to be able to pronounce the L's 

Grammy, nana, mimi.   My sister uses Naynay, I have no idea where that started.     A friend has her grandchildren call her Nina, yeah I don't like that one.

My dad and stepmother go by Pap-aw and Nan-aw. My in-laws are Grandma and Granddad. 

My grandparents were Mama firstname and Papa firstname, my great-grandparents (my grandmother's parents) were Mama lastname and Pop lastname. My grandfather's father was referred to as Daddy firstname.

I didn't really have an actual relationship with my other grandmother and that grandfather also died before I knew him, so I didn't refer to them by anything at all that I can remember.

My husband called his grandparents Grandma and Granddad.