Menu

Names for grandmother?

stephanier.1765

My son and his wife just found out they are pregnant. Yay! I've been wanting to become a grandmother for such a long time that I am over the moon excited. Now to decide what I want to be called. What are the different names out there for grandmother?

I can't wait for them to tell my parents on Sunday. I think my dad my explode.  :lol:

• Like 7

My mother is Nana and MIL is Mimi. Neither wanted a traditional "Grandma" or some such... although around here, names like Ma-maw still predominate. Don't think I ever see myself as Ma-maw!

I called my grandmother Gigi (pronounced with a hard 'g') because I couldn't say her preferred name, "Granny."

Congratulations!!!!!!!

• Like 1

My mom planned to be called Gramma; that is what I had called my grandmother.  Then my oldest (and subsequently the next three children) had a severe speech delay.  None of them even said Mama until they were almost 2, and they couldn't even approximate Gramma until they were approaching 4.  When my oldest started spontaneously saying Nana when he was not quite 3, my mother was over the moon, and perfectly happy to go by that name.  Shortly thereafter, my father was dubbed Papa.

My in-laws call themselves Gramma and Grampa, but even now only my oldest can articulate those.  I encourage my younger kids to call them Gee-Ma and Gee-Pa.  Even those are too hard for my toddler, so she doesn't call them anything yet.

Wendy

• Like 1

Both sets of my grandparents were "Grandma & Grandpa Last Name."  Dh's grandparents were "Grandpa & Grandma First Name."  He said my family was so formal, but it never felt that way to me.

My kids call Dh's parents "Grandma & Grandpa First Name," and somehow my parents ended up as Grammy & Grandpa Eeyore (Earl)

Now that my dd is married to a lovely young man from the UK, they have let us know that his parents will be Nana & Grandad, and they would like to use Grammy & Grandpa for us.  Of course I said that would be fine even though I am not thrilled with Grammy.  I am sure I will love hearing it from little voices :)

Around here we have many Mimis & Gigis & even a Glam-ma or two.

Amber in SJ

space,bar,doesn't,work,here,so,here,is,a,free,verse,poem:

Ha, that's actually a really good poem.  :D

My kids think it is weird that I have put thought to what I want to be called when a grandmother, so I don't talk about it anymore. 

Signed,

milovany (coughgrammytobecough)

• Like 1

I called my grandparents Grammy/Grandpa [First Name]. My kids call my parents Grammy and Grandpa and my IL’s Mum-Mum and Pop-Pop.

My aunt is called something Polish by her grandkids that sounds like Bop-she but I’m not at all sure of the correct spelling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My kids call me Farrar so I have zero hope that I'll even get to have a grandmother name. Maybe they won't even have kids. It's so far in the future for me.

One of my grandmothers wanted to be "Granny." But the oldest grandchild couldn't say it right and she became Banny. She's still called Banny, not just by us and the great grands, but by a lot of the "young people" - aka, the under 40 crowd.

• Like 2

Mom-Mom, Mammy, and Oma.

When the first grandchild was born, my dad was adamant about being called Grandfather. He did not want to be called PopPop or Grampa or anything silly like that, he wanted a dignified name like Grandfather. Well the first grandchild mangled Grandfather into FarFar, and she and her brother still call him that, even though they're in their 20s. The second grandchild mashed together Grandfather and PopPop (his other grandfather) and called him Podputter for years.  So much for dignity!  :laugh:

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

My great grandmother was Lola (the baby name I didn't get to use  :crying: ), and everyone called her Bowa.  I love that.

Just pick something.  I was the oldest grandchild on my dad's side of the family, and I was supposed to come up with some cute toddler speak (like "Bowa") for my grandmother, so we all just called her by her first name, not even Grandma FirstName.  If grand baby comes up with something, you'll love it, of course.  Otherwise you'll at least have a name you like.

My step-mother is Sisi, which her best friend's kids have called her for years.  My mom is G.G., which is short for Grandma Lastname.  My MIL is Nana.

My son and his wife just found out they are pregnant. Yay! I've been wanting to become a grandmother for such a long time that I am over the moon excited. Now to decide what I want to be called. What are the different names out there for grandmother?

I can't wait for them to tell my parents on Sunday. I think my dad my explode.  :lol:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

:grouphug:  :party:  :biggrinjester:

From what I hear, you're about to feel more love than anyone has ever felt before.  :001_wub:  I wouldn't know, I just have these rugrats around who apparently I don't appreciate at. all.

Oh, I forgot to mention this. My MIL's name is Rita. When I was pregnant with DD#1 (first grandchild), BIL suggested that MIL choose "Senior Rita" as her grandmother name. For some reason, she didn't go for it. ;)

Also, I remembered that another friend's kids call one grandmother Lady. 

• Haha 1

Granny

Grandma

Grandmama

Grandma/Grandmother Lastname

Grandma/Grandmother Firstname

Gran

Meemaw

Nana

Nanny

Your Majesty

Nene

Grammy

Grams

Empress Firstname

Rockstar

Fantastic Gran

I mean, honestly, go with whatever you like, but it'll probably end up mangled by babytalk.

• Haha 1

...mum-mum

My sister's grandson calls her this.

Growing up, we had two Omas.

My daughter had an Oma and a Grandmom.

Your Majesty

I rather like this!

My son and his wife just found out they are pregnant. Yay! I've been wanting to become a grandmother for such a long time that I am over the moon excited....

Congratulations!

Regards,

Kareni

My children call my mom Granna and my husband's mom Grandmama. Another sweet name that I've heard is Grandear.

Oh, no! This reminds me of my uncle , whose MIL wanted to be called DearMom. So he called her MooseMom. Don't do Grandear unless you come from a special family that would never think of doing that!
  • Haha 1

Oh, no! This reminds me of my uncle , whose MIL wanted to be called DearMom. So he called her MooseMom. Don't do Grandear unless you come from a special family that would never think of doing that!

Yes, sorry to say, I automatically pictured a granny with antlers.

Big (FIL first name) and Grand (MIL) first name. I hate it, but that is what they chose.

I have a friend who called her mother's mom, "My mama," for the grandmother name. That came about because friend's mother would say, "We're going to my mama's house," when going to visit! :D

Dh wants to be Big Daddy. I'd be fine with Big Mama or Queenie. First, Ds needs a date. So, it'll be awhile,

Edited by Hoggirl

To the OP, thank you for posting this.   I thought about starting the same thread a couple of weeks ago, as I, too, have the same question. My dd's first babe is on the way in mid-August.

One I've heard but can't use (in use already by two ladies in my office) is Bi-bi.  (bee - bee)  Apparently, this is common somewhere in Africa, parts of Kenya, I think.  One of the ladies has close ties with an orphanage there, so for her it's a natural choice. 

I don't really care for any of the choices, and nothing in my real name is tweakable.  

Still thinking.....

• Thanks 1

My kids have a Grandma and an Omi

I have a Nan. My kids when they were little called her Great Pumpkin ( my Dh's doing)

When I was younger my Nan's father was alive and we called him Dadda, that is what my mother called him and we just copied.

I never had any relatives on father's side to call anything

We have Grammy and Grandmom (and Grandpa and Grandpop). Sometimes we add their first names too, especially for the men, because the little guys tend to say Grandpa and Grandpop about the same and will forget which is which, but when we say first names, they know who we mean.

My grandmothers were Grandmom and Grandma. DH’s were both Mommom.

I want to be Grandma. That’s always just seemed right to me.

Thank for all the replies and the funny stories. When we were small, we called my great grandmother GeeGee but that was primarily because her name was Genevieve and was often called Gee or GeeGee (their spelling, not mine) by others.  As I was having a children, I really wanted to name my daughter Genevieve after her but, alas, no daughters arrived. So now I'm thinking I could use GG or GiGi or GeeGee in her honor. I have lots of months left to ponder this but what a great thing to put my mind to work on. I am so bloomin' excited!

• Like 2

My mom is Grammy and my MIL is Grandma. Apparently Grandma secretly coveted the title of “Grammy” for years because when BIL finally got around to having kids, she instructed them to call her “Grammy”. That’s right. She’s established different titles for different grandkids. It’s annoying and a little weird when they’re all together. 

I guess I should be glad she didn’t pick “Glam-ma.”  That one’s just yucky. 

My kids have Grandma and Grandpa First name on both sides. 

I had Nanny, Pawpaw, Nana, Mamaw, Papaw, Papa. I was always embarrassed to say Nanny instead of Grandma. Where I grew up Grandma and Grandpa were the norm with the occasional Nana.

I’ve also heard Oma, Opa, Gigi, Mimi, and Lola. My uncle is called Doodah which I find quite unfortunate for his grandkids when they are teenagers, but maybe it won’t bother them. 

My dad goes by Papa with the grandkids. His wife is Nana. DH's mother is also Nana--so the kids call them Nana Firstname to tell them apart. DH's dad and stepmom are Grandpa Firstname and Grandma Firstname.

My mom goes with Grandma. My sister, who became a grandma before she was 40, I think goes with Nana. My grandparents were all Grandma Firstname, Grandpa firstname, except my dad's stepmother who was "Grandmother Firstname." She was a more formal person.

I am a long way from having to figure this out, but will probably stick with Grandpa, or maybe Papa if my father isn't around anymore by then (likely as his health isn't great and my oldest is only 14 so grandkids are hopefully 10 to 20 years off for me!) Or maybe the first grandkid will come up with something cute and it will stick.

Congratulations!!  What happy news!

My parents are Granny and Gramps; my inlaws are Nai-Nai and Yea-Yea (Cantonese names for paternal grandparents)

I called one set of grandparents Bubbie and Grandpa [nickname]; my other grandma Grandma Lastname.