Menu

Organizing Paperwork?

medawyn

Someone in some thread (<----- helpful, I know) posted a link to a system for organizing paperwork that they have been utilizing and loving.  I think it might even have been something to purchase.

Other suggestions welcome.  Visits to come and do it for me even more welcome.  I'll cook!

Help me tame my paper clutter AND be productive during the Great WTM Blackout, pretty please.

What kind of paperwork? First step would be to see if any of it can be eliminated by going electronic: utility bills, for example.

We use binders. Separate binders for home, auto, medical, taxes, college stuff etc. When the binder gets too full, go through it an discard old papers that no longer need to be kept.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

What kind of paperwork? First step would be to see if any of it can be eliminated by going electronic: utility bills, for example.

We use binders. Separate binders for home, auto, medical, taxes, college stuff etc. When the binder gets too full, go through it an discard old papers that no longer need to be kept.

It’s the longish storage paperwork that gets me: taxes, medical bills/records, etc. I struggle with filing them efficiently and knowing how long to keep them. My ADD husband and his paper piles does not help. I need a better system for me and proof for him that every receipt does not need to be kept indefinitely.

I can give you a perspective from someone who is older, been around for many years, and accumulated a *lot* of papers. Some can be noted and discarded, but others -- taxes, mortgages, investments, legal documents -- may be ones that you want to keep. No matter how neatly you file, it adds up to a lot of file cabinets. I ended up sorting out older documents that I wanted to keep into 1" and 1 1/2" inexpensive vue binders from Amazon and putting those into bankers boxes. Very, very organized, but still too much. I started scanning things on s Canon printer with document feed. Much better, time-consuming, but a good way to go. I ended up getting a dedicated document scanner, fast, but $$$, and not the way most people would go, IMO, though it works for me.

I agree with Regentrude that, if you can start by getting as much as possible digitally, that is a good way to go.

A good book on papers is Nolo's Getting It Together.

Wirecutter had some good reviews of electronic backup systems. I'll find and link.

ETA

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/how-to-back-up-your-computer/

ETA again

I have found the app Scanner Pro to be a lifesaver. It was set an iPhone or iPad camera to create PDFs of documents. I often use it for shorter documents, especially when I am out of the house.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1