Menu

Bravewriter: Writer's Jungle First?

I'm super interested in the Bravewriter online courses, and I'm wondering, from those of you who have experience with the program, is it worth the cost to take the Writer's Jungle course online before starting a 9th grade course?  I'm specifically interested in the courses for my current 13 year old, soon to be 9th grader, although I would also be interested in learning about the process for my younger two, as well.  Would my 8th grader think that the Writer's Jungle is "babyish?"  Writing is probably what she hates most about school.  She doesn't have any experience with courses online, so I was wondering if the Writer's Jungle (before 9th grade) would be suitable as an intro. to an online writing course and also worth the hefty price-tag?  Kind of something she could try before it "counts" for high school.

I think The Writer's Jungle is the rebranding for Kidswrite Basic, right?

My understanding is that some younger teens take it and it doesn't feel babyish to them. The exercises and information in book/curriculum version of The Writer's Jungle certainly aren't babyish. BW in general is great for reluctant writers and the class is low pressure - it's really focused on teaching you to teach her as much as her. On the other hand, most of the people who I've seen say that it was good for students her age are unschoolers whose kids have had very little writing instruction before they were older middle school/early high school age.

That probably doesn't fully answer your question, but... 

• Like 1

Thanks!  Yes, I think the course used to be called Kidswrite Basic.  We're definitely not unschoolers, but I wouldn't say that this particular daughter has been challenged to her fullest potential either, when it comes to writing.  We've done various writing programs in the past, including parts of Wordsmith Apprentice, R&S Writing, IEW, Jump In, Kilgallon, as well as some outlining and narrations.  We're actually currently working in the Kilgallon Middle School book.

The Writer's Jungle course was helpful to me - I did it with a 9th grader and two younger (7th and 5th). It really helped me to work through the process with my kids.

If you are just looking for something for your oldest, then you could start with one of the Essay Prep classes.

• Like 1

The Writer's Jungle course was helpful to me.  It really helped me to work through the process with my kids.

This is what I'm thinking.  I've heard so many positive reviews about The Writer's Jungle, and I think it would be beneficial for ME to get a good feel for the methodology that Bravewriter uses/encourages, for my oldest daughter as well as my two younger ones (currently in 5th grade).

• Like 1