Menu

Science multiple ages

WahM

Does a science program like this exist? I would love to be able to combine my two kids for certain subjects just to simplify things. Is there a science program rigorous enough for the logic stage 5th-8th, but still something I can use with a younger sibling in the grammar stage. Each, of course, having their own reading lists, assignments, etc but still going over the same topic/lesson together.

• 2 weeks later...

I can think of a few programs that have a large age span:

Moving Beyond The Page has a 3 year span for each set and includes workpages at different levels.

NOEO is a living book set up meant for a 3-4 year span.

BFSU II or III could possibly be used, if not two books at the same time then going through the material slightly slower and using more of the supplements.

One of the Janice Van Cleave books maybe? "_________ For Every Kid".  Pick one for a concentrated study and use it in conjunction with a higher level text.

It’s a wide span, a four year difference. I’d like it to be rigorous enough to prepare my older for high school science, but still fun enough my youngest would enjoy it. I’m okay with secular or religious.

4 hours ago, countrymum said:

You could check out Berean Builders by Dr While. It has stuff in it that even I learned and an experiment each lesson. Rainbow Resource carries it and has samples. 

We used this when I had a 6th, 4th, and K'er. We really really liked it and would highly recommend it for elementary.

But to the OP ... it was still really really hard to combine with that much of an age difference. I ended up separating them out again for science because it just wasn't serving any of their needs well. Sorry, that's probably not what you want to hear. I hope your experience is different and you succeed at combining them! But just wanted to prepare/warn you that if it doesn't work, it might not be the curriculum that's the problem. We had much more success combining for history than science. YMMV

6 hours ago, Momto5inIN said:

We used this when I had a 6th, 4th, and K'er. We really really liked it and would highly recommend it for elementary.

But to the OP ... it was still really really hard to combine with that much of an age difference. I ended up separating them out again for science because it just wasn't serving any of their needs well. Sorry, that's probably not what you want to hear. I hope your experience is different and you succeed at combining them! But just wanted to prepare/warn you that if it doesn't work, it might not be the curriculum that's the problem. We had much more success combining for history than science. YMMV

Unfortunately, it seems like I’m going to have to separate them. I was just hoping to save some time during our school day. It just doesn’t seem like there are curriculums that are suitable for just a wide age range.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

If you're willing to look at an all in one, maybe something like Wayfarer's will fit.  Each level has its own strand within the plans but it looks like the science keeps them on the same pace/topic, but with deeper books as they get older. 

Thanks, I will take a look at it.