Menu

Clarisonic for sensitive skin?

Seasider

I guess this is a spinoff of a couple different threads!

One of the things worth splurging on as I age is better skin care. I'm sort of past the years of paying for braces, dermatologist for my children, etc, plus my skin has issues of its own that need attention yet I've linked along doing the bare minimum.

Now I am seeing a dermatologist and her aesthetician recommended a clarisonic device for gentle exfoliation. She said be sure and get that brand since it has a motion that is patented and different (more gentle) that other copycat brands.

So - seeking advice before the great shutdown! - do you have one? Tell me all about it. Especially if you have sensitive skin. And since I'm always bargain hunting, if you have a source that would be helpful.

Thanks! Counting down....

My daughter has sensitive skin and has been using a Clarisonic Mia for several years with Philosophy Purity cleanser.  I  had also bought one for my son since he has very sensitive skin and other issues, but he didn't like it at all and won't use it.   I should be using it, but I've gotten really lazy about my skin since I'm fussing with my teeth instead...the electric toothbrush and the messy water pik take up my time and counter space.

The Mia 2 is the special value on QVC today.  The price is $99.96 and it includes some extra brushes, including the one for sensitive skin.   (Lots of pretty colors to choose from, too!)

• Like 1

I have a smart profile. 

(they do go on sale other places, ebay often has them for reasonable prices (with out the 'extras').-  the Mias are more reasonably priced.)   I got it through clairsonic after signing up to be a guinea pig.

I had originally bought an oil of olay proX to see if I'd like it before taking the plunge.  it spins (harder on your skin), as well as vibrates -  

the clairsonic is much nicer on my skin.

the vibration will lift stuff from below the surface.

the brushes are cashmere - so they are very soft.  there is also a body brush, a 'sanding' brush for feet, a "firming" gadget, and it can be taken in the shower.  it also offers a variety of brushes -from body brush - to sensitive skin for face.

if you want to read some 3rd party compare sites:  (they compare oil-of-olay ProX to the clairsonic- Mia 2)

https://carleyk.com/wellness/smackdown-clarisonic-vs-olay-pro-x-facial-brush/

http://www.beautyskeptic.com/2015/01/21/clarisonic-mia-2-vs-olay-pro-x/

one of the things I did as a guinea pig was having make-up removed with make-up cloths vs the clairsonic.  - we were testing brush heads.  clairsonic hands down.

I have very sensitive and fair skin.  I use the Clarisonic Mia 2x a week.  I purchased the sensitive skin brush head directly from their website.  

I think I got the Mia from Macy's online during a sale.  

I have found it to be worth the cost and haven't had any issues with it.

• Like 1

I have rosacea and broken capillaries and very sensitive skin, so I am leary of anything that riles up my skin physically.  I've only had one facial in my life, and while it was enjoyable, there were parts of it that I felt I needed to decline, and overall I didn't feel it was worthwhile.  So that's my background.

However, I use a Jan Marini system for exfoliation, and I love the way it makes my skin look clearer, brighter, and generally younger.  It's a mask and an enzyme cleanser.  It IS just a bit drying so it's essential to use good moisturizer afterwards.  The specific items are:  Skin Zyme mask, and Clean Zyme cleanser.  There is no scrubbing aspect to this system, which is good for me since I'm so sensitive.

Thanks for the replies so far. I actually do have rosacea, which is very well managed but I have the broken capillaries. I have found going gf/low dairy to make a difference (and am actually pursuing the possibility that my skin & eye issues are extraintestinal celiac symptoms).

This summer I will probably be doing photo rejuvenation therapy to remediate some of the redness and capillaries. I've been on a skin care regimen that has been gentle and effective, but I do have the occasional need to exfoliate. The aesthetian told me that I should never use a scrub to exfoliate, then recommended the clarisonic with the sensitive head for occasional use.

I commented that it might be a good gift for my daughters, and she said yes, that it was just important to use the changeable brushes as recommended.

I guess because of the price, I really wanted to survey your experiences before buying. Thanks for all so far - I will take input til the board goes to sleep. 😄😴