Menu

What's with the ads?

If you had just invested in non marking shoes for tennis and then your kid decided to switch to football would you buy football boots or figure the sneakers will work.

Just so others know what they are replying to: soccer or Aussie rules football (I've no idea if the footwear is different)?

• Like 1

cleats are needed for futball (soccer) matches here in rec league...they have a good resale system worked out 

Cleats have been required when my kids played (I'm assuming you are talking soccer football).

Grass fields are slippery.

Used is fine.

Just so others know what they are replying to: soccer or Aussie rules football (I've no idea if the footwear is different)?

Hah...forgot about that.  I indeed thought she meant US football.

I know cleats are worn for soccer and even my K'er had to have them.  I don't even know what is worn for American football.

• Like 1

Afl... half the kids have them and half don't... I imagine that it's better to have them but we are talking around $80 minimum because he's in men's sizes...

On the other hand I want to help him fit in as he is already the homeschool kid with all the rest from the local school

I think afl boots and soccer boots are similar ... so not a sports family!

I had to google it, but indeed the shoes are similar.  Cleats. 

I think they would be more ideal because running on wet grass could be quite slippery. 

But yeah ouch on the price. 

• Like 1

Personally, if he switched right after you bought new tennis shoes, I'd have him earn the money for the new football shoes.  I can't afford to buy 2 pairs of new sports shoes in one season for myself. If he's in men's size shoes, he's probably old enough to figure out how to earn some money, or buy used or borrow a pair of shoes.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

Personally, if he switched right after you bought new tennis shoes, I'd have him earn the money for the new football shoes. I can't afford to buy 2 pairs of new sports shoes in one season for myself. If he's in men's size shoes, he's probably old enough to figure out how to earn some money, or buy used or borrow a pair of shoes.

He's 11. Because of our location there aren't many income earning opportunities.

I agree on the switch but it's partly not his fault. He's wanted to do footy for a couple of years but dh wasn't keen due to the culture at some footy clubs. Anyway he got to know a couple of people involved and relented so it's more circumstantial than anything.

Thing is we barely get wear out of sneakers anyway because the kids mostly live in elastic sides boots.

If at all possible, I would get him a pair of cleats. At his age, having the appropriate equipment is important to reduce the chance of injury and improve play. 

Because boys grow so quickly at this age, you might have some luck finding used cleats for sale, or finding a teammate who has just outgrown your son's size. It could be worth posting on Facebook or asking the coach to send out an email to the team. 

• Like 1

I hear you re culture of footy clubs

we have successfully steered our boys away from AFL.  AFL  in a small rural town is just a big booze up. it does mean we are just about completely isolated from the social life

• Like 1

If he is doing AFL you might want to look into protective head gear- as more and more is known about concussion it is becoming more common for junior players to have the protective headgear.

If he is doing AFL you might want to look into protective head gear- as more and more is known about concussion it is becoming more common for junior players to have the protective headgear.

I'm starting to regret agreeing to this ... ugh... I thought the no high tackle rule was meant to mean it was lower risk!

Should have stuck with the tennis...

By age 11, I can't imagine sending my kids to play soccer, even in rec league, with just regular street tennis shoes. Assuming AFL is similar in needs... I think he needs the right shoes. :(