Menu

Have any of you been successful with making money at home?

I would do anything to be able to be a stay at home Mom...

My husband is not currently making enough to be able to support our family by himself. I work right now but I am really trying to find a way to be able to be a stay at home Mom. Right now, it looks like the only way that would be possible is to make money from home... Any suggestions?

I've seen those ads to work from home and I don't know whether or not they're a scam...

Has any one here been able to make money from home?

The majority ARE scams and then another good percentage are MLMs where most people lose money though the potential is there.

What about phone work? I worked for LiveOps and could pick my hours in 30 min shifts at any time of day that worked for me. Many moms work early mornings or late nights when calls are more plentiful. Most work the main line which is taking calls for infomercials (books, exercise programs, gadgets, etc). Doing that line, I averaged about $13.50/hour. I worked insurance/financial services also as I had an insurance license. Anyway, it's not bad money considering the commute couldn't be any better (in home) and no clothing changes or additional costs other than a phone line required. One month, I even made $2600 working about 35hours per week.

Acddirect.com does St. Jude and PBS calls mostly. WestatHome considers you an employee which some people prefer. Alpine Access is good if you can work one of their shifts (they give you LOTS of different 4-6 hour shifts to choose from; I just couldn't make it work with my schedule); they also consider you an employee.

Anyway, so those are a few ideas.

Most of the work at home jobs out there ARE a scam. I was lucky enough to find on that I did for a year, then was able to "retire" to SAHM status.

It was through a local business, not something 8704 miles away. The had a legitimate add in the paper looking for ppl to do data entry from their homes. They even supplied the computer so we didn't have to use our own. It was really great for our situation.

I would be very careful while looking, and no real job is going to ask YOU for money. So thats a big giveaway right there. But legit jobs are out there, they are few and far between so you may have to look for a while.

Do you have skills to market yourself? There are some areas of the job field that are more open to work at home situations then others. Good luck.

I do daycare as well. I only take in 3 children as my van holds 5 so that we can still do park days and local field trips. I fold the preschoolers into our school day and work on letters and numbers with them. It is hard work and I couldn't do it if I didn't have a friend who has done this for years helping me out when things get rough.

It does take a while to get started. I did newspaper ads and added in 1 child per month and they are all boys. I really wanted to do preschool girls but you make do with what you get and I love my boys even though they get loud and rough.

Before this I did e-bay and did rather well at that. Good luck.:001_smile:

I would do anything to be able to be a stay at home Mom...

My husband is not currently making enough to be able to support our family by himself. I work right now but I am really trying to find a way to be able to be a stay at home Mom. Right now, it looks like the only way that would be possible is to make money from home... Any suggestions?

I've seen those ads to work from home and I don't know whether or not they're a scam...

Has any one here been able to make money from home?

I have no real advice, just wanted to send a :grouphug: I'm dying to quit my job too. I do actually work from home, but much more than I'd like (30 hours a week, currently 40 until the end of the year). If it helps you at all, know that it's not all that it's cracked up to be. I do prefer it to working out of the home, but honestly, WOH has its advantages. My work is never done, and I never really get to be just Mom and accomplish that well, or just An Employee and accomplish that well. I never get out of the house anymore, and that's hard too. So, I know it's small consolation, but there are many days that I think, "You know, I really wish I had a nearby office where I could go and do this and get it over with!"

:grouphug: It's so hard.

My background facilitates working from home... I've been a free-lance writer and now a marketing director. Telecommuting is my specialty. I make a quite a bit less working from home than commuting to the city -- but I don't commute! I get to be home with the kidlets.

I am a technical writer and was able to do contract freelance projects from home averaging about $100/hr. I don't do them anymore though because they are not easy to come by...especially since I have been out of the loop for the last 3 years. Oh well. But if you have a technical skill, you are likely to make a lot more money from home than you can if you don't. What do you do now? Would your company consider letting you work from home once your child is born?

I am a consultant with Usborne Books. Most events take me from home, but either the kids come with me or I schedule things when dh is home. Since I have promoted to Supervisor, the money is significantly better (I spend more time on the phone coaching and training new consultants for that increase in income). It has been a good fit for my family, but it is not a get rich quick scheme. You do have to put some time and effort into it.

I do this and this and this. The first two are home business opps that are valid and make me a little money. The last one is new, I'm in training now. It's not really "at home" because I do have to go on campus for an hour or two a day -- but the hours can be split up and since we live 3 blocks from campus it's not much time away from home. Pays $20/hour.