Menu

Remember when we switched to this platform?

school17777

I don’t remember the year, but I do remember all the talk leading up to and how we lost posters due to the switch. I don’t remember why some of the posters didn’t want to switch to the new platform. Glad no one is saying they won’t come back after the switch.

• Like 9

Was it 2009?

I don't think so. I was here for the switch and I started hs'ing January of 2012. So it's only been about 5 ish years because I was on the "old" board (not the old-old) for awhile pre-switch.

I say 2013ish

ETA: I must be thinking about a different switch than others. I'm just talking about the previous iteration where search function and tags worked.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 1

I don't think so. I was here for the switch and I started hs'ing January of 2012. So it's only been about 5 ish years because I was on the "old" board (not the old-old) for awhile pre-switch.

I say 2013ish

I was thinking of the OLDER switch, which was more significant a change. I almost forgot the other.
  • Like 2

My profile says Member since Jan 18, 2008.  So that it about the time that this format started.  I was on the old boards too, and I don't know for certain if Jan 18 was the first day of this format, but likely within that week or so. 

• Like 1

Oh yes, I do remember! I tentatively signed on the "new board" - this board and all the kinks were not worked out yet. I wanted to type "Hello" and it stopped me at Hell and told me profanity was not permitted. Went back to the old board and we had a laugh about that one.

And after every board flip, the first poster usually wrote :First!  Good Morning John" because we thought John was still the tech. Little did we know he had not been there for some time and it was an automated message "by John" warning us that the board would flip. I think we all found that out once the board was upgraded to this format.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

My profile says Member since Jan 18, 2008.  So that it about the time that this format started.  I was on the old boards too, and I don't know for certain if Jan 18 was the first day of this format, but likely within that week or so. 

It was some time before September of 2008 but I don't remember the exact month. 10 whole years just flew by like that. I was still young then....;)

Edited by Liz CA

It was some time before September of 2008 but I don't remember the exact month. 10 whole years just flew by like that. I was still young then.... ;)

SWB profile says :Member since Jan 17, 2008", so I am fairly certain it was that week. :0) 

• Like 4

I say 2013ish

ETA: I must be thinking about a different switch than others. I'm just talking about the previous iteration where search function and tags worked.

Yeah, there were two board changes, one in Jan 2008 and one in 2013. The first one was major. The old board was of the threaded kind and every morning it looked different. It looked like this.

The second board change was just a software change from phpBB to this new software. It looked like this.

• Like 5

Yeah, there were two board changes, one in Jan 2008 and one in 2013. The first one was major. The old board was of the threaded kind and every morning it looked different. It looked like this.

The second board change was just a software change from phpBB to this new software. It looked like this.

Yes! I was here for the 2nd change! I remember people having issues, but didn't seem too bad to me. In 2008, my twins were 3 and homeschooling wasn't even on my radar. I was trying to survive twin toddlers 😂😂😂!!!

I was on the very old boards and I well remember FIRST! That was when you could post under any name you chose, and I'm pretty sure there was no log in (certainly nothing tied to an email address).

It's all perfectly timed. I found Susan's new book "Rethinking School" this week at the library, so I'll be reading that this weekend. My goodness, how The Well Trained Mind impacted our homeschool, our LIFE! This book is much simpler, more of a reflection, no crazy schedules pushed by publishers.

• Like 1

I remember all of them. My favorite was still the first, because while it was less practical, it was more akin to sitting in the living room with your friends, with several conversations going on at once.

The second came and I adjusted, albeit grumpily.

Then came this one and the change wasn't quite as hard to learn but I dislike some of the "features". To me the worst feature has been the fact the classifieds take a special click to reach. I used to find all sorts of things I didn't know I needed when the classifieds showed up like other posts. There are others, but I won't bore you.

I don't know what this next change will be like, but I'll be over here scowling in my rocking chair, living up to the descriptor above my picture.

I say 2013ish

Yes.  I think it was in 2012 or after that.  I was here when the changeover was made from the old format to this new format.  Different Software for the Forum was the change at that time?

the switch was during the election year for the first Obama administration.  Lots of drama ugly politics.  I actually like talking politics but people on here had thin skins everyone was reporting everyone else's post so Susan ban on political talk.  It was a very smooth transition to this forum.   

the following link shows you the old board Nov 30 07

https://web.archive.org/web/20071202171901/http://wtmboards.com:80/HSboardNov202007/

Edited by Cafelattee
  • Like 1

There have been a couple changes. 

First was the major switch from the board that flipped to vBulletin about 10 years ago.

Second, we moved from vBulletin to the current (similar looking/acting) software, which I think is phpBB.

What now?

Bill

the switch was during the election year for the first Obama administration.  Lots of drama ugly politics.  I actually like talking politics but people on here had thin skins everyone was reporting everyone else's post so Susan ban on political talk.  It was a very smooth transition to this forum.   

https://web.archive.org/web/20071202171901/http://wtmboards.com:80/HSboardNov202007/

What a trip back in time. I found my old posts.

• Like 1

Thanks! Yep, that's it! What I hated:

- Page load times were horrendous! Our internet was very slow then and that page got bigger and bigger as time went on.

- As a result of the above, SWB would have to lock the page at some point and start a new one. Guess what? All the old discussions either died or had to be restarted.

- It was very difficult to find the discussions in which you were embroiled. The organic growth often made them look nothing like they did last time you visited.

- Newbies would show up and use screen names that had been used by others for YEARS. And they wouldn't chance them when asked!

This new format has been so much better! Hopefully we won't suffer much regression with the new software.

Edited by RegGuheert

• 2 weeks later...

The switch to the current forum style (was that 2008?) is what finally got me to start posting. I was on the old - old board, the reddit style one, but mostly as a lurker. When I did post it was under a different username that I no longer remember. Anyway I found those old boards hard to follow with all the subthreads inside subthreads. I was glad when we switched to this style.

*I do remember people posting FIRST!, and occasionally tried to do it myself but was never quick enough. I remember Doc, who was later Butch. Or was it the other way around?