Menu

S/O: Advice for WTMers during The Great Blackout of 2018

RegGuheert

We are quickly approaching the deadline: probably only have about 18 hours left, if that...

Here's an important one (which, again, is credited to Garga ;) ):

- If you do have a meetup during the blackout, be sure to meet in the back of a large, dimly-lit room just in case any creepy internet man-trolls show up. That way all the nice, not-the-least-bit-creepy internet ladies can slip out the back if/when the man-trolls show up!

Hey, I watch Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. Can’t take the threat of a man-troll too lightly, ya know?

Guys, I’m heading off to the Doctor Who Convention in half an hour, so this goodbye for me until the conversion is done! I’m in my 10th Doctor costume, mosty because I get cold and he wears an ankle length coat all the time. My other costume is of Petronella Osgood, because she wears a lab coat all the time.

Last bit of advice: if you get cold, wear a hat, even inside, especially while you sleep. And lots and lots of layers. A fluffy robe over your clothes works well.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 9

Guys, I’m heading off to the Doctor Who Convention in half an hour! I’m in my 10th Doctor costume, mosty because I get cold and he wears an ankle length coat all the time. My other costume is of Petronella Osgood, because she wears a lab coat all the time.

That sounds pretty cool!  Please fill us in when you get back.  (...when WE get back?)  It will be interesting to hear about the time-traveling side of Garga!

A fluffy robe over your clothes works well.

Done! (In my best creepy man-troll voice "Clothes?")

• Like 3

Hey, I watch Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. Can’t take the threat of a man-troll too lightly, ya know?

Guys, I’m heading off to the Doctor Who Convention in half an hour, so this goodbye for me until the conversion is done! I’m in my 10th Doctor costume, mosty because I get cold and he wears an ankle length coat all the time. My other costume is of Petronella Osgood, because she wears a lab coat all the time.

Last bit of advice: if you get cold, wear a hat, even inside, especially while you sleep. And lots and lots of layers. A fluffy robe over your clothes works well.

Have fun! We expect photos upon your return!

• Like 1

And we can’t forget “what are you reading this week?â€

Mini challenge - read a book with well, trained, or mind in the title or has a picture on the cover of a well, train, or mind.

Happy reading!

💋📚🥂

• Like 11

Hmmm.....I think I am spending way too much time on this thread! But I had another Blackout-related thought. For those of us not on Facebook, Twitter, etc... there used to be- though I don't know if they are active any longer- WTM groups in both Ravelry and SparkPeople. If we get *really* desperate, we could revive those groups. (I cannot believe I am actually thinking of these things.)

• Like 3

This thread is absolutely hilarious!! I don't think I've laughed this hard here in awhile. And I seriously just remembered something I need to research frantically before we go dark!

I also just realized I was never approved for the WTM FB group. HMPH!!! Going to need to look into that...

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 2

Yes! You got it!

Sorry I don't know how to link on my iPad, but it's on hersheys.com . They say it's the number one recipe on their site. I believe Quill uses their Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Frosting recipe which is on the same page.

Yes ma’am! That’s it! The cake and the frosting directly off the Hershey’s Cocoa Powder can.

And Reg, just because I’ve been to Paris - and seriously, no lie, they have some amazing treats around here - doesn’t mean I have lost my Inner Hershey. I will happily make them again when we meet up.

• Like 7

Let’s not forget to help out our beloved trolls during the blackout:

Dear Trolls,

No, you should not make her wear the jacket.

Yes, you should trade your station wagon in for a golf cart.

Yes, you should buy the French Maid outfit to clean your neighbors house.

And yes, you should absolutely run everything by your pastor before doing any of the above.

• Like 21

Inconceivable!

I can't believe no one has suggested lots and lots of TEA while we're on our forced hiatus from the boards.

Also, don't take Ambien, do watch The IT Crowd and/or Doc Martin, Shark makes good vacuums if you don't want to spring for a Dyson, and consider getting a Movie Pass. 

But definitely have TEA!!!!

Wah - DH will be out of town Sunday through Wednesday.  :(

• Like 2

Let’s not forget to help out our beloved trolls during the blackout:

Dear Trolls,

No, you should not make her wear the jacket.

Yes, you should trade your station wagon in for a golf cart.

Yes, you should buy the French Maid outfit to clean your neighbors house.

And yes, you should absolutely run everything by your pastor before doing any of the above.

And nobody really needs a 10,000 sq ft house.

🤣

• Like 12

So, you know how in emergency evacuations it is important to have a meet-up place for the family.... I'm thinking that we need to designate several locations around the world as WTM Blackout Shelters.  If the boards don't come back up, we can get in our cars (or on planes) and meet at the designated locations.  

Really this is an important thing to have in the case of a solar flare, or an EMP, or an internet disaster...

maybe we could start with these lists:

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20140327-worlds-most-beautiful-bookshops

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/50-of-the-best-indie-bookstores-in-america_us_58fe472ae4b06b9cb9192bb3

• Like 8

Yes, you should try going gluten-free to see if it helps.

Yes, many boys try to whine their way out of writing. Wait a year or two and try again.

Yes, you should take away their screen time, smart phone, or gaming system.

No, you shouldn’t think talking with your pastor will result in anything at church changing. Few people are humble enough to really listen without getting defensive. Just leave quietly.

Never agree to attend any event that sounds remotely like an MLM party.

Try to salvage the day by watching Takeshi’s Castle on YouTube. Find the episodes with English dubbing. Enjoy laughing at the dangerous obstacles in this 80s Japanese game show. Make sure to exclaim that American lawyers would never approve such a show.

• Like 6

Yes, your teenager has lost his/her mind.  No, it won't be fixed soon.    ((Hugs)) and chocolate for you.

No babies are to be born during the Blackout.  Put your feet up, cross your legs, breathe.  It would be selfish to give in to the urge to push.

Your dog ate your bathrobe?  Call the vet.  And get a new robe.  You won't want this one back.

Your (insert family member) said/did that?  Again?  Permission to use nuclear response granted.

He/she didn't get you a gift?  Get thee to the mall.  And remind yourself he/she would want to be generous.

Should you eat it?  Probably not.  But if you have the aforementioned teen lurking about, it is okay to let them do the sneak preview and then make a decision.  They are young, they will bounce back if you are wrong.  And they most likely deserve some discomfort for something you will find out about next week.

• Like 8

A long time ago, I used to make bean dip.  A lot.  It was really good, and one day a friend was over, so I dumped a can of beans in the blender to start a new batch.  When it was time to check to see if it was done, I took the lid off the blender.  Then peered in the pitcher ... and forgot myself and turned the blender on.  I became spectacularly covered with bean dip!

And I never made it again.

Every time someone says to pass the bean dip, I remember looking into that blender.

Have a wonderful WTM Black Out, everyone!

• Like 9

Yes, your teenager has lost his/her mind. No, it won't be fixed soon. ((Hugs)) and chocolate for you.

The blackout hasn't even started yet, but that is SOOO apropos right now! I showed her your post and she said, "What? Have you been posting about me?" I told her, "No, this lady on the internet just knew that I would need this advice without me even having to ask her for it."

Then her head exploded! :)

• Like 5

So, you know how in emergency evacuations it is important to have a meet-up place for the family.... I'm thinking that we need to designate several locations around the world as WTM Blackout Shelters.  If the boards don't come back up, we can get in our cars (or on planes) and meet at the designated locations.  

Really this is an important thing to have in the case of a solar flare, or an EMP, or an internet disaster...

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/50-of-the-best-indie-bookstores-in-america_us_58fe472ae4b06b9cb9192bb3

Great idea! Be aware, the one in RDU has now closed. It was a sad day for traveling book lovers.

• Like 1

Thought of a couple more:

Name your daughter Nora and your son Brian. (These were on my list and I never got to use them, hahahaha).

Serve the side salad before the appetizer because the servers make the salad. :lol:

Your daughter doesn't need a coat. Because she's FAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKEEEE!

(What about the breathing, the panting, the moaning, the screaming?

Fake, fake, fake ,fake! ~~~ Jerry and Elaine)

Was she a troll really? I had a bit of a troll radar go up but otherwise ignored the whole thing. :)

• Like 1

So, you know how in emergency evacuations it is important to have a meet-up place for the family.... I'm thinking that we need to designate several locations around the world as WTM Blackout Shelters. If the boards don't come back up, we can get in our cars (or on planes) and meet at the designated locations.

No, if things get really bad, MomsintheGarden and I are packing up and heading straight to Garga's church, where the meet ups have been held!
  • Like 3

I couldn't figure out why this post sounded familiar, but it finally dawned on me:

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/2063523-whose-responsiblity.html

If you don't want to click on CC, a new poster there (Scottish Nicole), also from Scotland, asks the exact same question about twin 6 year olds at school. No asthma, though, so certainly it's not the same poster who's just gotten mixed up on her kids' ages. :closedeyes:

The internet is so weird.

Was she a troll really? I had a bit of a troll radar go up but otherwise ignored the whole thing. :)

plansrme found her with a similar story on another board.

• Like 1

plansrme found her with a similar story on another board.

I hadn't even opened the jacket thread until I saw it mentioned on this one, but I have seen Weird Jacket Poster on another board (maybe two) as well. It was either a debate board or a baby names board, or possibly both. Such an odd thing to go around posting everywhere!

• Like 1

I hadn't even opened the jacket thread until I saw it mentioned on this one, but I have seen Weird Jacket Poster on another board (maybe two) as well. It was either a debate board or a baby names board, or possibly both. Such an odd thing to go around posting everywhere!

It is the same with the Which to Serve First: Salad v Appetizer Troll. S/he has posted all over on different boards.

• Like 1