Menu

Update on Changing Majors without Classes Offered...

hopskipjump

PLEASE DON'T QUOTE. I might take this down later. :) Thank you! ♥

I'd posted a while back that dd1 wanted to change majors (she's at the end of her sophomore year now, and her school requires that she "Declares" a final major by the end of this semester).

You guys gave some GREAT feedback for us to chew on and she decided it was too risky and would remain her original major, with a math minor.

It ate at her. Kept her up at night. So.

She made an appointment with her academic advisor (we'd made up a full four-year plan with everything spelled out). The academic advisor explained more about the mathematics department at this university (it's tiny) and dd found out that the math department basically schedules in classes based upon whoever "needs" whichever classes each semester. Those classes aren't even always entered into the "everything" course wizard database, because they just hand-enter in those classes for the students. (keeps the schedule from getting so cluttered, I'm sure, with math classes that only a handful of kids are going to take)

She had a meeting with the mathematics department head, and he put her completely at ease. He explained that if a student needs a class, he will teach a class of one if it's necessary in order for the student's credit-hours to align properly. The classes are often 3-5 kids in the upper-levels of math ... which ... I cannot explain how good this is... is PERFECT for dd. She will absolutely excel in a situation like this. Same people, same professors, same classmates... it's perfect. She has anxiety approaching professors for help or questions when she's in a large class - but in a small class where she'll feel like she knows the prof? Easy peasy.

They looked over her schedule. He told her which classes he's already teaching for the next 4 semesters (that aren't shown as "available" on the schedule) and they penciled in everything and she has zero shortages now! :hurray: He said if there's a particular class she's REALLY interested in, to let him know and he'll email the other students and see if they want to make another section for that particular class. She can also choose to do an Internship or Independent Study with any of the professors there.

This school is heavy on the pre-med/health/environmental/biological sciences side of things. So it's not surprising how small the math department is. However, he gave her data regarding previous graduates (there are only 2 seniors in the program right now! :lol: ) and their results were solid (good jobs straight out of graduation and/or continuing education).

So. She changed majors. :svengo: At the end of her sophomore year. She hasn't been this happy/relieved about her major-decision - EVER. She's always been on the fence about it, but just couldn't think "what else" she wanted to do. This. This is what she wants to do. She was looking toward the next two years with a bit of fear and loathing. Now - she's excited for the challenges ahead.

She's also registering to be a Math tutor starting next semester.

So I'm a VERY happy and proud mama. This is what we hope for - for the kids to take the reigns of their own lives and make big-life decisions. This kid wasn't ready for that when she was a senior in high school and needed a LOT of hand-holding. It's such a beautiful thing to see her fully coming into her own at 19. :)

I'm SO glad she took it into her own hands and pursued the information. (and a little annoyed at the school for having such poor information for US to evaluate on our own... :glare:  But she's learned a lesson there too! Never take "no" for an answer if it's something you care about. Go in and talk to the officials about it and get the "real story")

Anyway. Just wanted to update, thank y'all for the great information, as always!

Edited by hopskipjump
  • Like 31

That is excellent!

My oldest ds goes to a tiny school and they teach what the students need. His gf is a physics major and the only one at her class level. They just teach what she needs.

It is also common at his school to at some point in four years have a class where you are the only student.

Obviously some students would hate that but my ds thought it sounded cool. So glad there are so many choices of schools out there.

• Like 2

That's fantastic!  Good for your DD.

What wonderful news!

I have a good friend who often says, "It's an asking world." I have a difficult time remembering that and putting it into practice.

IME, this is particularly true in academia, at least when it comes to things that don't involve money and over which faculty members have discretion.  Always ask!

• Like 2

What wonderful news!

I have a good friend who often says, "It's an asking world." I have a difficult time remembering that and putting it into practice.

This is so true!!

It's pretty cute - she's received congratulatory notes from a couple of the professors already! lol They are *really* excited to have new blood joining their ranks! Hopefully the students will be as welcoming (she knows not-a-one at this point). :laugh

Edited by hopskipjump
  • Like 2

It's pretty cute - she's received congratulatory notes from a couple of the professors already! lol They are *really* excited to have new blood joining their ranks! Hopefully the students will be as welcoming (she knows not-a-one at this point). :laugh:

As I have noted on here many times, the parallels between math and a weird religious cult are pretty extraordinary.  

• Like 3

As I have noted on here many times, the parallels between math and a weird religious cult are pretty extraordinary.

Hmmm. 🤔 okay then? Wouldn’t have connected a kindhearted “welcome aboard†email to a religious cult...

I’m going to choose to not look at her new department quite that way. 👠:)

Edited by hopskipjump

Hmmm. 🤔 okay then? Wouldn’t have connected a kindhearted “welcome aboard†email to a religious cult...

I’m going to choose to not look at her new department quite that way. 👠:)

That's what every new target says.

• Like 1

Oh, duh. I obviously missed that connection in a big way. Off to read that thread... Thanks RootAnn. 😊

As stupid luck would have it, I have a painful family history with an *actual* religious cult as a youth and therefore have a strong, extremely negative reaction when I hear the term used. Sense of humor gets drowned out on this topic and gives way to a much stronger, panicked, drowning-in-quicksand emotion. There’s no sense of humor in that place - and no way I was going to make that connection myself. lol

So sometimes I need a hard nudge for perspective - because my brain immediately leaps to a bad place. Thanks for that nudge. 😊

All’s good and I’m thrilled for DD to join the ranks of Plansrme’s type of “cult.†Phew 😅

Edited by hopskipjump
  • Like 2