Menu

Would You Eat This: Smoked Salmon

goldberry

A friend goes to Alaska once a year and brings back a ton of salmon.  She smokes it.  She says it is good for several weeks in the refrigerator, and she eats a lot of it that way.  I have some that we ate part of, but the rest has been in the fridge for about 1.5 - 2 weeks.  

It smells good of course, but it has a strong smoked smell so I don't know if I would notice a bad smell.  I'm nervous about fish, and the idea of eating fish after 2 weeks is scary.  Is smoking really that much different than other cooking methods?

Edited by goldberry

Just adding, this is not like the slimy smoked salmon you buy at the store. This is an actual piece of salmon the she smoked in her smoker. The texture is more like actual salmon.

Do you mean it’s hot smoked salmon vs cold smoked salmon? Because both are actual salmon. 🤣

http://www.finecooking.com/article/smoked-salmon-hot-vs-cold

Cold smoked salmon is salt cured first, which is a preservative.

Neither kind would last in my fridge for 2-3 weeks though. If I have smoked salmon I am saving for something, I have to hide it from my sons.

I prefer lox and cold smoked salmon but hot smoked salmon is good too.

Bad fish smell will overpower the smoky smell. So long as it’s within the timeframe and doesn’t seem off, it’s more than likely ok to eat.

• Like 6

Do you mean it’s hot smoked salmon vs cold smoked salmon? Because both are actual salmon. 🤣

Neither kind would last in my fridge for 2-3 weeks though. If I have smoked salmon I am saving for something, I have to hide it from my sons.

Bad fish smell will overpower the smoky smell. So long as it’s within the timeframe and doesn’t seem off, it’s more than likely ok to eat.

Oh my goodness, I never knew!  I love hot smoked salmon, and saw "smoked salmon" at the store and bought it.  I was all, "What the hell is this??"   :lol:

I guess I like the hot kind! 

I'm eating it right now with a lovely spinach salad... feta cheese, almonds, cranberries... YUM!  Let ya'll know if I get sick!

• Like 2

Also, I need friends like this. I would be friends with anyone who gave me free salmon. Salmon prices are getting positively ridiculous. :p

YES!  She is actually someone I work for, and when she sees me getting stressed she bribes me with salmon!  It works well!  :laugh:

• Like 3

Oh my goodness, I never knew! I love hot smoked salmon, and saw "smoked salmon" at the store and bought it. I was all, "What the hell is this??" :lol:

I guess I like the hot kind!

I'm eating it right now with a lovely spinach salad... feta cheese, almonds, cranberries... YUM! Let ya'll know if I get sick!

My sons and husband prefer the hot smoked kind. Commercially packaged and unopened some of that is actually shelf stable.

I prefer the cold smoked kind and used to be able to count on it being safe in the fridge for me but alas, not anymore. My teenage son is now an equal opportunity salmon devour-er. It’s hands down his favorite breakfast.

• Like 1

I hide my smoked salmon in the vegetable bin, where Ds never looks.

• Like 2

I wouldn't eat it, but that's because I once ate salmon when pregnant and it turned out to be a very bad idea. 

Edited to add: not because there was anything wrong with the salmon, but because I was pregnant and weird about food. Bite one, delicious; bite two, delicious; bite three THIS IS DISGUSTING AND I'M GOING TO DIE. 

It's 20 years later and I'm still salmon-free. 

Edited by katilac

I wouldn't eat it, but that's because I once ate salmon when pregnant and it turned out to be a very bad idea.

Edited to add: not because there was anything wrong with the salmon, but because I was pregnant and weird about food. Bite one, delicious; bite two, delicious; bite three THIS IS DISGUSTING AND I'M GOING TO DIE.

It's 20 years later and I'm still salmon-free.

Don’t you just hate that weird, pregnancy food aversion thing? I used to love veggie pizza until your above scenario happened to me with my first. Now...13 years later...nope. No veggie pizza 😆

• Like 1